New house, new pool, first time for both. Do I need a new chlorinator cell?

chris9008

Jun 12, 2020
Florida
The pool is about 5 years old and the previous owners didn't take care of much around here. It is a saltwater pool with the Nano AutoPilot for producing chlorine. I started out cleaning the salt cell with muriatic acid. This worked for a few days, chlorine levels were rising. Now I get the red check light saying low amps some days and today it says warning: no output. Running the test from the menu I am showing cell = 31V 0.5A and Amp-Hrs = 13499. All of that wall of text to ask for any ideas of how to correct it? I thought maybe just replacing the salt cell is the answer, but as thats the more expensive option, I wanted to get opinions first.

Chris,

We do not have many AutoPilot users, so it might take a while for one of them to answer.. This post will move your thread to the top of the pile.

As a general rule SWCG cells last an average of about 5 years... On most cells, amp hours is an indication of life left in the cell..

I think my cell is rated for 10K amp-hours..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: chris9008
Get an electric salt probe from amazon (the testing strips suck) or take a sample into Leslies. Compare it to the manufacturer's recommended levels in the manual to make sure you don't have to add salt (should only need to add a bag or two a year depending on usage or backwashing).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.