New house , first pool

Ccali89

Mar 29, 2023
Virginia
image.jpgWell hey guys and girls new pool owner here and the pool store has gotten me now for 500-600 worth of chemicals and I’m not any closer than when I started. Above ground , sand filter.

No cover over winter and it was green , some floating algae. Pool company has had me shocking, algaciding, FLOCKING ( never woulda before reading these posts). Well yesterday I decided maybe I didn’t get all the flock out before turning back to filter so I changed all the sand. Been on filter 24 hours with no change. I have a light blue color , but very cloudy. Been this way for a week. Lots of shock and lots of brushing. In the last 2 days. Filter on 24/7. More time ?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Mdragger88
pool store has gotten me now for 500-600 worth of chemicals
Someone call me? Looks like it! Got me for >$1500.

1) Order a test kit...NOW! Link-->Test Kits Compared
2) As @mknauss indicated (on test kit too), read up on the process to clear a pool. You need a test kit to run the process. Link--> SLAM Process
3) Download pool math, it is an app that allow helps you with chemical additions. You need to know the size of your pool. When you configure your pool, use the "effects of adding" function...will tell you how to get 5ppm per day into your pool with liquid chlorine. That is until you have your test kit. Then follow the SLAM process. Link-->PoolMath
4) When you get pool math, login with the same login as TFP. Click the gear in the upper right corner, scroll to the bottom, then enable log sharing with TFP. We can then see your tests and chemical logs to help you.
5) Finally, please fill out your signature, this will help us help you.

Tom Cruise Help GIF by MOODMAN

If you have a list of the 'stuff' the pool store has had you add, that might be useful to the bigger brains here to see if there is anything that requires any special attention.
But first, as already suggested, get the test kit, test everything, post the results along with the details of your setup.

Welcome !!

Reactions: Mdragger88
It looks like you have a taylor kit but you need the fas/dpd test to do the
SLAM Process. It’s available separately without having to purchase a whole new kit.
Which kit do you currently have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.