New house first pool

WNYpool18

Bronze Supporter
May 20, 2018
Rochester,NY
Hello, my wife and I just bought a new house and the previous owners had the pool installed about 12 years ago. It's our first pool and we're excited as are our kids! After doing some research the trouble free pool method looks like the way to go. We have friends with pools and they always look clean and clear but it seems like there's a better cheaper way to achieve that using the TOP methods. Looking forward to learning.

Welcome to the forum!

Spend some time going through Pool School. Post up your questions to the appropriate sub-forums!

Take care.

Have my Taylor test kit arriving tues. I jumped the gun before I found this forum, and took the cover off and filled the pool to the proper level with the hose, municipal water. The water is very clear, pool store test said cya is 168 and they told me to drain 50% before doing anything else. I'm not surprised since the previous owner left me a giant tub of di-chlor. I'll know more on tues once I get my kit. I just got done with the drain and refill today.

If the water is clear is there any reason to slam?

Probably not. Once you get your test kit, run a full set of tests, you may just be able to go straight to a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm that a SLAM Process is not needed.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Did you get the Taylor K2006C? The C is important. If not the C, then you will need FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills very soon.

Take care.