New Hot Tub owner-mystery bromine

dombey

Apr 25, 2010
Oregon
Hi all,
Years ago I frequented this site learning my way through my first pool (28k gal pool in Phoenix… chlorine was a major monthly expense haha).
Years later I now just moved to Oregon, where there is no sun and my pool is now a 340 galling hot tub. :)

we just got a new salt water hot spring triumph tub with the built in chlorine generator.

I just got it up and running last night. The startup procedure was to fill, add salt, balance, shock. All went well except I’m using the included multi test strips (I used to used a dpd-fas Taylor kit and I have one on the way now) and I think I’m in the ballpark on overall water chemistry per both manuals and the test strip ranges.
ive tested for TA, CH, FC, and PH. And salt.
Admittedly it’s a bit of a swag with those test strips as they seem fairly finicky and the color seems to just change after the immediate reading (my strips say read immediately).
so here is my issue… when I was adjusting water chem last night as expected I got a reading of zero for bromine (it’s in the test strip). Makes sense since i am on a salt-chlorine setup, right?
After heating the tub overnight, now I’m seeing high bromine levels on the test strips (like as much as the strip will measure).
All I added to the pool was salt, CH increaser, and TA increaser and dichlor to shock. I read all the ingredients and there isn’t anything containing bromine.
One other detail - I filled with RO water as we are on a well and the entire house runs on RO. Testing confirmed absolutely nothing in the water at fill time.
So on the surface it appears that warming up the tub drove the bromine levels up, which doesn’t sound like a reasonable thing to me.
so, a) what gives and b) I assume the bromine will burn off if it is in fact present?

My lead hypotheses are bad strips, or when they tested the pool in the factory they dropped some bromine into it to keep it sanitary during shipping? And it took overnight to dissolve enough to read it, hence not showing in initial water testing?

thanks all in advance.

Strips are, well, worthless. You have no bromine as you have not added any bromide to the pool.

I'm sure you know this forum is not a big fan of strips. But... What I wonder is if the bromine strip is really reading the chlorine level. Is it a separate strip for bromine? What brand and type of strip?

I think it's safe to say that if you didn't add bromine then you don't have any.

I'm sure you know this forum is not a big fan of strips. But... What I wonder is if the bromine strip is really reading the chlorine level. Is it a separate strip for bromine? What brand and type of strip?

I think it's safe to say that if you didn't add bromine then you don't have any.
Right. I’ve never actually used strips until now because they came w the tub… always heard they suck.
they are “freshwater” brand, manufactured for Watkins Wellness it says…

Bromine and chlorine both read on the same test. In my taylor kit, the chart is chlorine on one side and bromine on the other with the same test procedure. One is twice as dense or something so reads twice as high (I am no chemist). What you are really reading is Orp (oxygen reduction potential I believe) which the chart translates into ppm chlorine or bromine. Even mps will show on a chlorine test to some degree.
Maybe @JoyfulNoise can explain all the sciencey stuff...

Are you sure you got a chlorine generator and not a bromine generator? With my new hot tub I had the option of a bromine generator but with my pool being chlorine I opted not to get it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.