New home owner in Cypress TX. Pool is a MUST!

MylesOsmiles

Jun 3, 2020
Cypress, TX
New Cypress TX transplant from SoCal. Relocated to Houston for work, realized in March that we're going to need a pool. Starting to research contractors, and TFP was recommended real quick. I'm just now starting to research PBs and there are a lot here. I think the most important is... What questions do I need to ask these contractors to vet properly. I already know a few of the gotchas about TX, like shifting soil. What else do I need to know? Oh, I already know I'm looking to put an in ground concrete ~15x30 rectangle with spa. Thanks!

Come up with a detailed list of what matters most to you, so that you can be sure that you're getting an apples-to-apples comparison when you ask for bids. This includes things like the location in your yard, the size and depth, and pebble vs plaster. There are lots of other factors, of course, but these are the ones that will be the main cost drivers. Ask your co-workers and neighbors for referrals. Try to look at their pools, and ask them what they like and what they wish they could change. Be prepared for the whole shotcrete vs. gunite pitch. I did quite a bit of research and decided it doesn't really matter (our builder used gunite), but lots of more knowledgeable people than myself will swear by one or the other.

Please start a thread in Under Construction if you begin to discuss PB quotes, equipment, etc.

Thank you!

One of the builders that I'd set my eye on is requiring a 200$ deposit just to start a quote. Is that normal?
I never had any builders ask for a deposit to do a quote, but it's fairly common for them to ask for a few hundred dollars to do a design and then waive the fee if you choose them to do the build. Personally I wouldn't recommend this. We paid one builder quite a bit of money to do a design and site plan, but it caused some delays in the permitting process when we ended up hiring a different builder and he had to deal with inevitable tweaks to the plan and some special engineering that was required.

If you're not exactly sure what layout you want, you can try different designs yourself using some modeling software. We used this one. It has a very steep learning curve for about the first two hours, but then you'll become a pro. It isn't quite as polished as what the pros use, but you can still do fairly nice 3D walkthroughs of your yard. We must have tried at least 20 different pool and spa configurations, so it definitely paid for itself.

There are lots of builders in Houston. No you should never have to pay a deposit to get a quote. If you have Next-door or a Facebook neighborhood you may want to ask them for recommendations as well.

If you decide to go with a salt cell be prepared for the pool builder to ask you why. Most don't like to do it, part of me thinks its they don't understand it and others just don't want the trouble of explaining it properly to the owner and a few I've talked to don't truly understand pool chemistry or why or how to properly balance a pool. This goes for cleaning services and pool stores too.

Most pool builders in Houston also seem to take there time and not aligning the trades I've watched pools take 3-5 months to complete. We searched and looked at a few PB's. When we decided on our PB it was because he focuses on one build (in one stage) at a time and had it completed in 28 days. We made one compromise on tile as the one we wanted was out of stock and didn't want a delay. We also only had one real weather delay.

Most builders I’ve worked with know very little about pool chemistry, but otherwise do excellent work. Please don’t let that be a deciding factor. My pool would probably have a UV system and no SWG if I hadn’t discovered this site before we started building.

I think I would rather stab myself in the eye with this fork I’m holding than not have an SWG here in HOUSTON. I think you can see where I stand there. Unless you want to dump a gallon of LC in your pool everyday for the next 5 months I’d get the SWG. Don’t let the PB talk you out of it.
I’d also highly recommend a Chiller unless you want to swim in bath water until November. This isn’t So Cal weather here as you can probably feel today..
Realize pool builders are actually busy right now here in Houston. It’s not unheard of fur then to charge for design fees. I mean think about it they are busy right now of course they will want to charge for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice guys, I've already reached out to a few builders with no response, so I know it's busy. I've been using houzz (and kinda yelp/google)for a resource, since we don't live in the neighborhood. I really like what I see from The Pool Man on houzz. please feel free to PM me with recs.