New home. New in ground pool. Many questions.

I will use my to talk about chlorine use................I have NEVER had to drain due to high CYA as I only use liquid chlorine.

My pool is 25,600 gals. During the summer I get 10 gals of chlorine (11%) at a time. This 10 gals will last me 12 days. I use 1/3 of a jug each day. Shhhh but I don't measure. I just pour about 1/3 of the jug in. This comes from having the pool for a while and keep a good log of what happens. I have found 1/3 jug is a good average for the hot months.

With you being SC you might be the same as me during the hot times.

Once you get your CYA under control it will get much easier!

I do use pucks when I go on weekend get aways! To do this I keep my CYA on the lower end for my FC/CYA chart.

:hug: I hope this helps!

Kim:kim:

Jesus christ. Its saying I'll need to replace 43% of my water to get the CYA from 70 to 40. This brings up a question. How often is it required to drain a pool due to high CYA? Hopefully no more than once a season. Also, after purchasing the 15 gallons of liquid bleach, how often will I be buying a gallon of that to maintain chlorine? I understand that that is a function of CYA but it would be nice to know if I'm looking at 5 jugs a week/5 jugs a month/ 5 jugs a season, etc.

Thanks again for helping me out and pointing me in the right direction!

That's why everyone is suggesting to stick with liquid chlorine because those pucks and bags of shock constantly add CYA every time you use them. I had a pool guy, who I sent packing, who use to load my floater with four or five 3" chlorine tabs every other week. Lo and behold, once I got my own test kit and decided to take over my pool care myself, my CYA was off the charts (over 200). I did a full drain and refill as well as acid washing the walls and floor while I was at it. Since I have refilled it, I added CYA to get to 40-50 PPM, and have exclusively used liquid chlorine and bleach for my sanitizing. No more pucks, shock bags or granulated chlorine. This way I know, I'm not adding anything that ads CYA so I don't have to go through the hassle of draining again in the near future.

kim,

If you only use 1/3 of a jug a day and you buy 10 jugs, how do you use them all in 12 days? Shouldn't it be closer to 30 days?

I will use my to talk about chlorine use................I have NEVER had to drain due to high CYA as I only use liquid chlorine.

My pool is 25,600 gals. During the summer I get 10 gals of chlorine (11%) at a time. This 10 gals will last me 12 days. I use 1/3 of a jug each day. Shhhh but I don't measure. I just pour about 1/3 of the jug in. This comes from having the pool for a while and keep a good log of what happens. I have found 1/3 jug is a good average for the hot months.

With you being SC you might be the same as me during the hot times.

Once you get your CYA under control it will get much easier!

I do use pucks when I go on weekend get aways! To do this I keep my CYA on the lower end for my FC/CYA chart.

:hug: I hope this helps!

12' deep end? I'm jealous.

Keep the faith, after getting our pool re-surfaced in November we've managed our chemistry ourselves (with help of this site) and stayed out of the pool $tore and not only is it lower maintenance, but it is much cheaper.

I never got a chance to test the water yesterday but plan on doing it today. Which tests should I focus on? PH and chlorine tests instantly come to mind.

Also, just going by the dimensions of my pool, I really don't see how they have an accurate assessment of the size of my pool. The report says 36 x 18 but with a 12 foot deep end I just don't see how the pool could only have that amount of water in it. The sides ARE beveled underwater all around the pool so maybe that would cause it to hold significantly less water but I obviously don't want to start altering anything until I have an accurate size. What are my options to actually find the size of my pool?

Hey guys, I think I may have messed up badly. All Ive been trying to do is drain the pool using the waste setting and evrything was moving along slowly but surely. It didn't dawn on me that the smaller and smaller amounts of water coming out of the waste pipe might be a big deal. Well, after noticing that NOTHING was coming out of the waste pipe anymore, I cut the system off and opened up the skimmer basket thats right next to the pump. Wafts of steam came out, the skimmer basket was coated on all sides by about a half inch thick net of leaves, and the water was VERY hot. I cleaned the gunk out of the basket, reprimed the pump to the top of the basket with pool water and tried to restart a few hours later and while the pump comes on and sounds fine, I am still getting virtually no flow out of the waste pipe. Have I killed my pump? Or is there simply a massive clog somewhere? The pump is a newer Hayward.

I got this one!! Hayward Super II Pump Parts Repair Diagram

I am hoping this is close to what you have. Step by step:

-turn off pump

-turn off breaker to pump

-close all valves that allow water to come to or leave pool

-take loosen the unions that connect the pump to the pipes

-remove the basket from the pump !watch for any gaskets or o-rings!

-put your fingers inside that hole where the basket connected.

-take out any and all leaves and stuff you find in there. You should be able to move the "impeller" you feel in there.

-put it all back together.

Also clean your filter while you are at it.

No matter how careful I am I always end up with stuff in there :(

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions.

:hug:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Before I try and delve into this, I took some pics-

xodnDay.jpg

65gDMfn.jpg

4Yvm0xC.jpg

Where exactly would I be separating the pump? I imagine it would be the 4 bolts holding the pump into the plastic structure. Also, can anyone tell enough about the piping system on which things I need to close before I start trying to get at the pump to clean it out? Ive felt from the inside of that filter basket area torwards the pump and it fills like there are some plastic divisions in there that prevent you from getting at anything.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Homewerks-Worldwide-1-1-2-in-dia-PVC-SCH-40-Union/5016056

You might be able to take the pump off the black piece without unions. Those 4 bolts are what I would start with. I would print out the diagram of the pump so you have it ready to see how far you need to go. My leaves get stuck in the "impeller" but I can get to mine a little easier than you can from the looks of it.

I keep forgetting that in ground pools do not lose water like my above ground pool does when I hope anything up :roll: You should be find not close anything.

I would also pick up some 0-ring lube to relube as needed. As seen here:

Shop Aqua EZ O-Ring Lubricant at Lowes.com

It also comes in tubes but I just grabbed the first thing to show you.

Where you want to get is back to where the pipe goes out of the pump to the filter. I would also look in to having a hose ready to help flush out the pipe coming from the filter.

You should also clean your filter just to see if that is where the problem is.

In fact I might do that first to save you some work if you get lucky there!

Let me know what you find!

Kim :kim:

You shouldn't have to disassemble the pump. Overheating it can damage the bearings and seals, but if it spins, and not leaking catastrophically, it may be okay. There's a basket inside the pump that catches leaves, etc, before they go into the impeller, unless you're missing it. I've never had to dig gunk out of the impeller on my pump. Anything small enough to get through the pump basket ends up in the filter.

Are you sure the pump was fully primed when you turned it back on? Did the pump basket stay full of water, or did it fill up with air? There's usually a few bubbles of air in the basket when you put the lid on, did they move at all? Did the pump suck all the water out of the basket and then suck a bunch of air in and lose prime again?

What did you have the multi valve set to? Waste? Filter? If on filter, you should see the pressure gauge on the filter move some, even if just a little jump.

My pump sits about five feet above the water level of my pool, so it takes a good bit of work for me to get it primed. Generally, what happens is that I turn it on, the water in the pump basket gets pushed out, and it sits there sucking on air for a bit. My real solution for priming my pump, when the pipes are well and truly drained, is to use a Drain King to fill the plumbing from the skimmer basket to the pump with water. Yours shouldn't have to be that difficult though.

Soupy you might have missed the part where he did have a basket FULL of leaves. I know my pump basket lets some of the leaves though to the filter when I have a lot of leaves. This is a fact of life for me :( That is why I am telling him to check the pump for leaves and junk.

I hope he cleans his filter and finds it is very dirty and all is good!

You shouldn't have to disassemble the pump. Overheating it can damage the bearings and seals, but if it spins, and not leaking catastrophically, it may be okay. There's a basket inside the pump that catches leaves, etc, before they go into the impeller, unless you're missing it. I've never had to dig gunk out of the impeller on my pump. Anything small enough to get through the pump basket ends up in the filter.

Are you sure the pump was fully primed when you turned it back on? Did the pump basket stay full of water, or did it fill up with air? There's usually a few bubbles of air in the basket when you put the lid on, did they move at all? Did the pump suck all the water out of the basket and then suck a bunch of air in and lose prime again?

What did you have the multi valve set to? Waste? Filter? If on filter, you should see the pressure gauge on the filter move some, even if just a little jump.

My pump sits about five feet above the water level of my pool, so it takes a good bit of work for me to get it primed. Generally, what happens is that I turn it on, the water in the pump basket gets pushed out, and it sits there sucking on air for a bit. My real solution for priming my pump, when the pipes are well and truly drained, is to use a Drain King to fill the plumbing from the skimmer basket to the pump with water. Yours shouldn't have to be that difficult though.

Ijvkhlk,fhy

I filled the filter basket to the top with pool water before I tried restarting it. There is a pipe running from the top that if I were to try and fill it past that, it would simply flow into that. I can try getting a full on bucket of water and pouring it and see if I get any results. The pump does not seem to be leaking or anything like that.

Regarding cleaning the filter, how would I go about that? It is a sand filter so if I were to open it, would there be visible clogs in it somewhere? I'm just expecting to see sand when I open it up. As full of sediment as the bottom of the deep end seems to be ( leaves mainly) it wouldn't surprise me if the filter is slam full though. Can i simply take the top off of the sand filter and check without hurting anything?

Easiest way is to remove the four bolts that hold the motor to the pump. Pull the motor back, the impeller will be right there. Clean the leaves out and reassemble. I've had to do this several times myself over the years.

So i was going to try and clean the sand filter of any obvious obstructions since I don't have a wrench for the pump bolts yet. Upon removing the top, theres still a good bit of water right over the sand but no obvious leaves that I could feel. My question is if I do the overflow technique like the guy from kimikats link, I dont have to remove the sandfilter or anything do I? Its attachted to the multiport by two pipes so Im hoping I can just use a hose and fill it as it sits.

As soon as I hunt down the tool set Ive misplaced since I moved, I'll remove those 4 bolts and pull the motor away to see if there are any obstructions in there.

So i was going to try and clean the sand filter of any obvious obstructions since I don't have a wrench for the pump bolts yet. Upon removing the top, theres still a good bit of water right over the sand but no obvious leaves that I could feel. My question is if I do the overflow technique like the guy from kimikats link, I dont have to remove the sandfilter or anything do I? Its attachted to the multiport by two pipes so Im hoping I can just use a hose and fill it as it sits.

As soon as I hunt down the tool set Ive misplaced since I moved, I'll remove those 4 bolts and pull the motor away to see if there are any obstructions in there.

Incoming pics. I pulled the motor from the housing but I want to ask before I go further- if the areas in the pics were clean, do I need to separate the two plastic pieces?

tRLTp6E.jpg

LMvHgwR.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.