New Home Build = New Pool

Hi All.

We are going down the path of tearing down our current home and building a new one and this entails the demolition of the existing OLD plaster pool (woohoo!!). We are planning on installing a new pool (in a different location) in our backyard and I am hoping to gain insight and recommendations regarding materials, equipment and builders. Bear with me as I'm learning as I'm going.

The vision we have for the new pool is to have a simple +/- 35'x20' rectangular pool with full length steps for ingress/egress at the shallow end, should I also look at "bench" areas at the deep end too?

For a pool this size, how many lights, overflows and returns should I insist on and where should they be located? I also plan to continue using my current robot, for what it's worth.

Thinking of going with the Pentair suite of equipment and tentatively focused on the following:

- IntellifloVSF pump
- Intellichlor IC-60
- Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter (420 or 520 model): I currently have a Hayward DE filter and hate the maintenance/DE mess, would I be happier with a cartridge filter??
- Automation: I know nothing about pool automation but would like to be able to see what is going on, and also adjust settings, via an app on my phone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
- Heater: torn on whether to get a heater or not. We have never used the heater on our current pool and frankly don't swim in the winter.

As for finish, I am leaning towards the Pebbletec or equivalent finish. There is some hesitancy on Pebbletec as I have read the finish can be very rough on your foot, is this true? Suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone has a pool builder recommendation in Southern California (LA County), please let me know.

Thanks all!

Wil,

If you plan on an IntelliFlo pump and IC60 SWCG, then the only automation for you is the new IntelliCenter.. It has replaced the older EasyTouch and IntelliTouch.. It is almost the same price as the older equipment, but much, much better...

The bigger the filter the less often it will need to be cleaned. I would get the 520... that is what I have and my pool is only 17K gallons.

The VSF will work fine, but I am not a fan of the variable Flow option... If this were my pool I would get the cheaper IntelliFlo VS, P/N 011028.

Thanks and good luck with your new pool build,

Jim R.

Do you know the "rules" for filling in an old pool? That can be as big a mess as building a new pool so make sure you know the details of what they are going to do.

Why do you have to demo your old house? I have a sad for you but it sounds like things are working out for you in the end!

Kim:kim:

Appreciate the replies!

I'll dig into the Intellicenter w/ IntellifloVS and IC60 but from first blush, it appears that this combo should work well.

I'll also upsize the cartridge filter. On that topic, will I experience a noticeable difference in pool clarity going from a DE filter to a cartridge filter?

I'll continue to explore the pool finish but it look like a mini pebble finish should assuage concerns about raw feet. HA!

Demolition of a pool is pretty straight forward in our city and it'll be included as part of the GC's scope. (y)

Appreciate the replies!

I'll dig into the Intellicenter w/ IntellifloVS and IC60 but from first blush, it appears that this combo should work well.

I'll also upsize the cartridge filter. On that topic, will I experience a noticeable difference in pool clarity going from a DE filter to a cartridge filter?

I'll continue to explore the pool finish but it look like a mini pebble finish should assuage concerns about raw feet. HA!

Demolition of a pool is pretty straight forward in our city and it'll be included as part of the GC's scope. (y)
This is an exciting time for you! On the filter question, the water clarity difference going from a DE to cartridge filter is not noticeable during the day. At night would be the only difference meaning that you might see a few more floaties (little white dots) in front of the lights, but not when viewing the pool in general. I can also leave my cartridge filter on longer, or with my autocover on and reduce those to a super low level, but it's not necessary by any means to do so. I would address the issue as which one has better other pros vs. cons. Like DE - disposal can be more difficult in some jurisdictions (CA ones specifically). Complexity of a DE filter is somewhat higher in side. Cartridge, if properly over-sized can be cleaned once per year. Takes a bit of time to rinse. I can do mine start to finish in about an hour, but that's once per season. If folks have previously had a DE, they'd probably get another one if the disposal issue is ok, and the same for cartridge owners. Unimportant note - if you plan to get a green pool often, cartridges clog up REALLY fast trying to clear it. So just dont let your pool get green - that's really easy unless life gets in the way - which it does sometimes.

Yeah, on the pebble, for PebbleTec, Pebble Sheen or Pebble Fina are better choices for foot comfort as you mention.

Absolutely consider benches in the deep-end. I have a combo bench in both deep-end corners. I love this feature. I use the deep step to stand on all the time, playing catch, hanging out, getting out of the deep end, etc. Here is a picture from when my pool was first being filled 7 years ago:

Wil,

I have two rent houses with DE filters, so when I built the pool at my house, I wanted another DE filter. But... the City where I live requires any DE or Sand Filter to be plumbed to the house sewer line, which was going to cost a lot more, so I settled for a large cartridge filter. I was very disappointed.. Now, after more than five years of use, I can hardly wait for the rent house DE filters to bite the dust, so that I can replace them with cartridge filters... No more DE to screw with, or buy, no more multiport valve to go bad, or leak. I will never have another DE filter again. I can't tell any difference in water quality between all three pools. Granted that I don't do a lot of night swimming, so I have no idea about any "floaties".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Absolutely consider benches in the deep-end. I have a combo bench in both deep-end corners. I love this feature. I use the deep step to stand on all the time, playing catch, hanging out, getting out of the deep end, etc.
Agree...the more bench space the better. Great to sit, chat and enjoy a beverage. They're also great for kids learning to swim. My daughter, now four, used these as rest spots when first getting used to the pool. She was unable to reach the coping so these helped to build her confidence and comfort. They also provide alternate areas of egress for those not able to get out over the coping.

The two benches in the deep end are just over 6' and the longest in the shallow end is nearly 12' in length. We maintained the swim lane in the middle...

ATT_1455135582340_13434_2.jpeg

All, thanks for the additional info on the cartridge vs DE filter. I'll most likely go with an oversized cartridge filter for the new build as the cons for DE strongly outweigh the minor cons for cartridge. Looking forward to less mess and fuss during the filter cleanings! HA!

Didn't really think of multiple bench levels, that is actually a great idea. The original thought behind benches at the deep end is to allow my kiddos (and myself!) to rest, when needed.

The new pool planning is all coming together, thanks to everyone's input!

Last edited:
Didn't really think of multiple bench levels, that is actually a great idea. The original through behind benches at the deep end is to allow my kiddos (and myself!) to rest, when needed.

I couldn't agree more on that reason as well. Great places to rest/catch your breath.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick update and a couple more questions.

The conceptual pool layout has been determined, please see attached PDF file. We wanted to keep it simple, so the pool will be rectangular (@ 41'x16'). My wife wants a spa, but I do not. I'll be the "pool boy" and have never had a spa before so would like to understand the pros/cons of having a spa and how much, if any, extra work it would entail to upkeep.

If we do go with a spa, the plan is to go with a corner spa that is inside the pool where the top of the spa ledge is a few inches below the water line. This pool/spa combo is essentially what we have in mind:

hilltopsoundspapool-1500x630.jpg

Another design element that we are grappling with is whether to go with a traditional pool with a shallow end (3.5-4') that slopes to a deep end (9-10'), or go with a sports pool (3.5-4' on both ends and the middle of the pool is 6'). I am leaning towards the sports pool as more of the pool will be usable but would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Conceptual Pool.pdf
    514.2 KB · Views: 16
I'd allow for a swim lane, regardless of if you think you'll use it. It's just good design practice and you never know. Meaning if you have a spa, then put a shelf or bench along the side opposite to allow for the swim lane. But certainly not required.

On deep end or no, volleyball is mostly out with a deep end. Basketball is still fine. Our hoop is at the 5' depth point on an 8' deep pool. Some treading water is fine for basketball. If a sports pool, 4-5-4 seems to be the best bet. Unless you plan to keep populating the pool with littles for a long time.

bmoreswim, thanks for your thoughts and I agree on creating a swim lane. Using the linked photo in my above post, the swim lane would be the entire left side of the pool, from the spa ledge to the opposite side of the pool.

Thanks for the guidance for depth on the sports pool. LOL, we are done with having youngins, our 6yo and 4yo already keep us super busy.

Reactions: bmoreswim
I also like autocovers but very expensive. And square corner spas and autocovers don't match up well. I really like round edge spas but not sure how what works on that style. They seem super comfortable to rest your neck on.

W,

If the Spa is part of the pool, then there really is not any extra work... About half the people that install a built in Spa, just love them.. But that leaves the other half that are disappointed in what they thought they were actually going to get, comfort and jet action wise. After the initial rush, they tend to only use them once or twice a year, or not at all.. You should ask around your neighborhood and see who loves them and who loathes them..

the plan is to go with a corner spa that is inside the pool where the top of the spa ledge is a few inches below the water line.

The Spa can't really below the pool water level... :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ah, didn't realize that that square corner spas and autocovers don't match up well. We plan on going with an autocover for code compliance. This might just be my ace to talk my wife out of a spa. :laughblue:
Ah, forgot that. Great on the autocover. Yeah, the corner will be a major stress point for the cover. And yes, the spa edge would likely need to be, let's say, at the waterline, but may be a bit above or even below if the water is high. But you have a fixed high water line having an autocover, because at some point it flows over the dam. Ours is about 1 1/2" below the top of the waterline tile. The lower the spa wall, the better for the autocover. But worse for retaining the heat of course due to water mixture. Even though you have a square look pool and spa, I'd go with some sort of heavily rounded corner, like a 2-3" radius at least. Just my gut feel, though I don't have that design. I just see how much pressure gets put on the cover if you happen to walk on it. Or if you have kids and they walk on it when you aren't around (older kids maybe). If anyone walks on it near the corner, it's not going to help the cover any. They are tough/thick, but repetitive or individually impactful events (an adult walking on the cover near the spa) could cause trouble.

I just see how much pressure gets put on the cover if you happen to walk on it. Or if you have kids and they walk on it when you aren't around (older kids maybe). If anyone walks on it near the corner, it's not going to help the cover any. They are tough/thick, but repetitive or individually impactful events (an adult walking on the cover near the spa) could cause trouble.

This is a very good point that I haven't really thought about. Not having a cover on our current pool, is there a "safe" depth we should sink the spa to avoid potential pressure points?

This is a very good point that I haven't really thought about. Not having a cover on our current pool, is there a "safe" depth we should sink the spa to avoid potential pressure points?
For a square cornered spa, I think the safe depth is not a practical depth. It would be several inches, but even then, if someone steps on the wrong place - instant rip/tear. My pool would have a round corner somehow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.