New Home (and Pool) Owner - Looking for Advice

Money Mitch

Apr 28, 2022
New Jersey
Hello TFP!

Firstly, I want to say how excited I am to have found this resource; this is truly remarkable, and I really hope to use all of the accumulated knowledge and advice from you all here at TFP. Let me explain a little more and hopefully I can convey my anxieties.

My wife and I met through competitive swimming when we were young, and a goal of ours was to own a home with a pool. We've finally made that dream a reality, moving into our new home 2 weeks ago with an in-ground gunite pool out in the back. The previous homeowner was an elderly gentleman who's son did all of the maintenance around the house, including the pool.

According to him, they stopped opening the pool around 3 years ago. I think there may be a few feet of water in the center of the basin, but I haven't fully removed the cover to see. There has been rainwater covering the canvas cover, which I've since pumped out. I've heard conflicting views regarding whether it's potentially harmful to leave the pool without water, which has been part of the worry.

While in the process of purchasing the home, we contacted a pool maintenance company, and they had us go look at the brand of the pool. They said that the exact brand of pool that we have (Sylvan) always has issues from the time period it was installed, and that if it hasn't been opened in the past several years, it could cost tens of thousands to repair, and to fill it in is just as expensive.

I'd love to get our pool up and running, but I have absolutely no clue where to even begin thinking of where to start, much less actually starting. Two more pieces of information I've seen asked is we are on well water, and it's a sand filter as far as I'm aware.

I can provide more details if needed, but like I said I'm just not sure what to even include. Barely treading water here, which is new for me. Any advice would be very very much appreciated!

Thank You!

PS: Bonus doggo walking in front of one photo :)

Attachments

• image4(2).jpeg
    image4(2).jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image3(4).jpeg
    image3(4).jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image2(3).jpeg
    image2(3).jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image0(4).jpeg
    image0(4).jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 51
Hey Mitch and Welcome !!!

The whole Sylvan thing doesn't mean much. They were one of the largest installers for decades. It may have fared great for its age and suffered being mostly empty all this time. It may have have a problem which caused it to drain as far as it has. It may shine up with some elbow grease and minor repair work.

One thing is for sure, you'll have no shortage of helpers and folks cheering you on as we LOVE these. My buddy @kimkats will be around to say hi also as soon as she is free.

PS: Bonus doggo walking in front of one photo
THANKS. (y)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So it looks like you inherited quite a project. You're' correct that we generally advise to not leave a pool empty. In places with an elevated water table, we don't even advise lowering the pool less than a foot or two from the floor. That's to ensure the pool walls and liner remain stable. In your case, it looks like the walls have collapsed. If so, you may need assistance with a professional to stabilize those walls before anything (i.e. new liner) can be done. The equipment pad part is fairly easy with the exception of cost. :)

As for the well, it probably has iron. Iron is a pain to deal with as it generally causes staining. If you can have fresh water delivered once the pool work is done that would be ideal. But first & foremost is the condition of those pool walls. Keep us posted!

Congrats on the new house and pool (maybe?!). We love renovation projects and we love bonus dog pictures too - we'll want to see lots of pictures of both. :)

You need to take the cover off and assess. Take lots of pictures and we could help you out figuring the best course of action.
Are you feeling lucky?

Cat Good Luck GIF by Wayra

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
You rang??? Well hello there! Nice to meet you and see your pool and doggy!!!

The others have you started with telling you to uncover your pool. What I want you to do is take your well water down to a pool store :shock: and have it tested for metals. If they want to test for other stuff let them BUT do NOT buy ANYTHING from them!!! Tell them it is not open yet but you just wanted to know about the well water for when you do open it. Metal testing is the ONLY thing we "allow" the pool store to test as it is one of the few things they get halfway right.

Now on to more dog pics!! And show off the house as well if you want to. This is YOUR thread so go wild!

Kim:kim:

I am back with further updates!

I've got most of the cover off. Those leaves are really heavy! I can try getting more off if further pictures are required, but here's what it looks like after the initial uncover. It seems like there's some damage to some of the tile around the rim of the pool near the filter, but nothing too extensive surprisingly. There's about 2-3ft of water in the deep-end, but it tapers off and there is nothing up towards where the stairs are. And it looks like I have a little froggy-friend inhabiting the pool!

@kimkats - We've actually had a well water test done before we purchased the house. I've attached a screenshot of the results, though I'm not sure what metrics we're looking to be under or over.

And finally - some dog-tax photos! Meet Louie and Oli (Bonus Puppy Picture of Louie!)

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image1(1).jpeg
    image1(1).jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image0(2).jpeg
    image0(2).jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 38
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 38
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Love
Reactions: kne and newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see iron listed and it is not bad at all. We can work with that! It is when it gets to 3.0 or over that things go wrong.

There will be a bit of work to be done on the wall where the cracks are. Are you a handy sort of person or someone likes to work with his wallet aka pay someone to do the work? Let us know and we can steer you in the right direction. Keep working on getting that tarp up and out as well as the leaves and stuff in the water. Then you can add chlorine to it to keep it from moving into a true swamp!!

PUPPY pics is SO cute! How old are they? Love how they love each other!

Told you soooooo! You lucky Dog! It will need some work but not that bad. Cracks need to be taken care of. As Kim said if you are not DIY then start by some power washing so you can get a quote on fixing them.

Thank you Kim and Tivo! It's great news about the Iron, thank you for that.

Should I add chlorine despite not being filled all the way? I fancy myself a DIY person, but in reality I have very little experience. If I wanted to take a crack at this all myself, is power washing the first step?

I would add a splash of chlorine each day and brush it in to keep what water is in there yuck free. THEN when you are ready to power wash it be careful with the power and jet you use. Sure don't want to jet a hole in the plaster. I would power wash then think about how you are going to fix those creaks and what are you going to do about the missing tile. I HOPE you can find the same tile and replace it as it is so pretty. I will also look for you. Can you take a pic just of the tile............well if there is a puppy in that pic that will be okay too!

2 and 3? They are just finding their brains again. I lOVE this age!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.