New here and wanting to switch from Baquacil

Jul 20, 2018
Abilene tx
Hello everyone. I've been skimming the forum for a few weeks now debating on switching to chlorine based chemicals for my intex easy up pool. It's been decent as I've been trying to keep up the proper portions of baquacil products, but it's just not as clean and clear as I'd like it and the pink slime is a never ending battle as well. I feel like I spend more time cleaning than enjoying our pool. It's the 15' x 48" model and should be right around 4700 gallons. I just purchased an intex sand filter but haven't installed it yet since I really want to convert. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as links to the proper thread to start the conversion? When and how I need to install my new sand filter? What to buy for new chemicals? Etc. Thanks for any help!

Joel :)

For that size pool it will most likely be more economic to drain the bulk of your water and start over. So start considering if that is an option and how you would go about that. You cannot completely drain the pool as the liner can shift.

So with everything that I've read so far, I'm better off draining most of my pool and filling it back up.
What is done with the remaining water once most is drained?
Do I need to clean/scrub the pool before draining?
I haven't located a thread where a drain has been done prior to conversion.

An above ground pool can normally be drained until you have 1 foot of water remaining in the pool.

Then you would refill and follow the conversion process. It would be much less arduous as you have diluted the Baqua substantially.

Can you fill out a signature? See Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. It will help us help you.

Filled out signature portion of my profile.

I just tested the water with the 4 part baqua test strips. They read like this...
Oxidizer "add initial dose"
Sanitizer & algistat - 30 PM
Ph - 7.8 "ok"
Alkalinity - 180 ppm "high"

I've avoided using baqua chemicals for about 2-2.5 weeks now.
Am I at a good point to start conversion or is a drain still recommended?
Should I take off and clean all the tubes before anything?
At what point should I install my new sand filter?

Are you able to completely drain the pool? If so, since you haven't set up your new filter yet, I would be inclined to tell you to completely drain the pool, clean the inside of it and any ladders, pool accessories, etc that have been exposed to Baquacil with bleach and rinse everything well before refilling and starting over as essentially a new chlorine pool. If there's also Baquacil in any existing plumbing, if you aren't able to clean or replace it, you will experience some of the symptoms of conversion while getting it set up, but it'll keep you from experiencing the headache of having a pool full of Baquagoo for a week. The "goo" I'm experiencing during my own conversion right now is really a super fine sediment that clumps together. It's a total PITA and I ended up draining my pool as far down as it was feasible, and now I'm refilling it to at least dilute some of the baquacil so speed along my conversion. Good luck! Regardless of what path you take, make sure you have one of the recommended test kits on hand to get you started!

You must have a proper test kit before you start.

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.