New Hayward HP50A2 fails to start...

amadogon49

Jul 8, 2021
Bergenfield, NJ
Hello:

Recently bought a new above ground pool and with it this Hayward HP50A2 electric heat pump. Had the electrician finally come over last week, to install the 30 amp 220 v line it needed. The thing has electricity, and the lcd display seems to sense the inlet/outlet temperature. But I can't get the compressor nor fan to kick in. I have set the set temp rather high to see if it forces the unit to kick in (ie, 100 degress), and waiting 3-5 minutes but nothing. Contact hayward support is rather frustrating, only one number, no email, no chat, and no way of leaving voice mail (not they would answer it anyway).

Anybody have the same heater or possibly an older model (HP50A, HP50A1, or even the HP70A) that can maybe give me some guidance or possible a clue as to what might be wrong (or possibly defective)?

I followed the startup procedure to a key:
1) Valves open, bypass closed.
2) pump running
3) filter clean (it's new)
4) Only turn it on while the pump is running
5) It's in "H" mode (heating)
6) Outdoor ambient temperature is in the 70's (they say it has to be atleast 50 degrees)

Bought from thePoolFactory.com, but any issues with it have to contact hayward directly they say.

Thanks,
Amado

Sounds like infant mortality. You need to make a warranty claim with Hayward.

You can try to get an AC service guy to take a look at it and check the compressor motor and capacitor. If you know your way around an AC unit you can check with a multimeter if the compressor motor is getting power.

This Hayward Technical note is not about your current problem but you should check if your unit is within the SN range to be affected...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.