New guy screwed up - Fixing my green pool!

Good morning folks, the new guy here crying for help!

We bought an above ground Intex pool 16x48 to see if we are pool people before we spend the money for a below ground pool in the next year or two. Naturally comes the learning and growing pains.

I have a SWG/Sand Filter from Intex, Hayward Skimmer. Using only the junky test kit that comes with the pool and the tables on the back of random products, I was able to have a clear pool for a month. I added 100lbs of salt (trying to stay below the 3200ppm intex alert issue), CYA per the table for cya/gallon ratio. Then one hot morning, it was green. It was a good month, I felt like a king since it was too easy... haha. So I watched some videos and got some advice, bad or not, so I shocked the pool yesterday in hopes of it clearing up.

So I started looking more, found the SLAM method.. found the TF-100 kit, etc etc. So right now I have the TF-100 kit on the way. In the mean time my pool it cloudy green after the shock. I am running the filter (no SWG).

What should I do in the mean time while I wait for a real test kit? I have tested it this morning with the junky Intex strips... I don't know if I believe it but ill post it up.

Thank you for your help and guidance. I look forward to learning the real way to take care of this!

test11.jpg

Until your test kit gets there put 1/2 jug of chlorine in your pool. Brush your pool twice a day. That will keep things from getting any worse.

You are more than half way with ordering the great test kit!!

Kim:kim:

Okay, then!

You're in good shape. CYA is present, so no ammonia problem, and it's low enough to allow for a SLAM without replacing any water. CH is also reasonable.

So... add acid targeting 7.2 pH. Don't be surprised if you miss the mark. You may be at 8.5 or better but only see it as 8.2. Just dribble the acid into the return stream, leave the pump run, and give the pool a brushing, a few swipes in each direction all around the pool, to mix it up. Retest in 15 minutes and re-dose as needed. When pH is set, you're ready to reach for the bleach. It's all laid out in great detail in the SLAM Process article.

Keep the FC up around 12 as consistently as you're able, brush 'til your shoulders ache, and watch the filter pressure.

Excellent - I had the same thoughts as I was reading the SLAM article. Okay so.

I dropped the PH to 7.2 - took about 20oz of acid.
I added about 60-70oz of bleach, got the FC to 12 at 10pm last night.
This morning, 5am, it was 6 FC, added another 30-40oz of bleach... letting it do its thing.

Its clearing up (obviously I guess!). I am glad to get a better understanding of this.

When I get it to clear up, I have to figure out a few things.

How often is it typical to add CYA? for my situation - 70 CYA with a FC of 3-5?
Then I need to figure out how long to run my SWG. And with the Intex, the salt PPM goes bonkers over 3200ppm (so I will try to keep it at 2800ppm, until I just hack the thing and bypass the computer in it).

I think this whole thing happened due to 2 reasons - I never checked Salt PPM, just followed some tribal amazon review knowledge and the back of the bag and I had 1400ppm. I added enough CYA (it wasnt 70!) to keep whatever chlorine it could generate there, but that obviously disappears over time and never added anymore since I couldn't test it.

Here is a base line schedule. You will tweak it for your pool and life as you find what works best for your pool:

Make sure to take pics of the pool each day and share them here. This will help you see it clear and we can make sure it is doing what it is supposed to do.

Kim:kim:

How often is it typical to add CYA? for my situation - 70 CYA with a FC of 3-5?
Then I need to figure out how long to run my SWG. And with the Intex, the salt PPM goes bonkers over 3200ppm (so I will try to keep it at 2800ppm, until I just hack the thing and bypass the computer in it).
You'll lose 3-5% CYA every month to splashout and normal breakdown. If you get rain and water overflows, obviously you lose more.

I understand there is something in the poolmath app that can help you set the SWG real close to start. It's beyond me. I have an old flip phone and I am a jug-dumper to boot. Hopefully someone else will happen along and explain how that's done.

In the Poolmath app you can use Effects of Adding Chemicals. Be sure the pool volume is correct. Select SWG as the chemical.
I am not sure if Intex SWCG are in the drop down list. So you will have to find out what your SWCG generates in chlorine each day. Then select % setting and pump run time and it will show how much FC that adds to your pool water each day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning folks. Just got back from vacation. I wasnt able to tend the pool over the last few days, but I left the pump running. These are my results.

Its blue, just slightly cloudy still.

However my Ph is above 8.2 again and my total chlorine is 0.5 again.

So I believe at this time I should move my PH to 7.2-7.5, raise the free chlorine to 3-5 and add CYA to be 70? Then I need to make sure my salt is at the right PPM and then start working on my timer for my SWCG to maintain the right amount of free chlorine. Am I on the right page?

Attachments

• 2019-05-27 08.53.51.jpg
    2019-05-27 08.53.51.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 2019-05-27 08.54.00.jpg
    2019-05-27 08.54.00.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 13
Okay, so I am good to lower the PH again because I essential slipped out of the 'SLAM" area? then continue chlorine shock levels?
Yes. Adjust pH and 7.2 and resume the SLAM Process until you pass the three tests simultaneously. A pool is like a living thing. If you go back to work too soon after being sick, you relapse. Same thing applies here. Make sure it's cured.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.