New Guy Questions (Pentair's IC40 Set-Up)

Boogfj40

Jul 11, 2019
INDY
We just had our Thursday's (14'x35') Aspen (9,000 gallons) fiberglass in-gound pool installed this past October (2019). I am already thinking about converting over to SWG. I am currently looking at Pentair's IC40 model.
The questions I have are as follows:

1. Would Pentair's IC40 be to large for my 9,000 gallon pool?
2. Do I need to purchase a separate flow cut off valve switch or does this model have one installed inernally?
3. What is so special about the transformer to run this unit that makes is cost $400? I currently have a 300 watt Intermatic transformer running 2 LED pool lights, Could I run the IC40 off this transformer?
4. Do I need to worry about my aluminum coping corroding from the salt?
5. How do I know how much salt to add during initial start-up?

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boogfj40

I am a big Pentair kind of guy, but unless you have a Pentair automation system, then the IC40 is not really your best choice..

The IC40 runs off of DC voltage, not AC voltage, so your landscape transformer will not work.

It is always better to have too larger a cell vs. too small of a cell.

The IC40 has an internal flow switch.

The amount of salt is shown in the manual of any SWCG you buy..

I would recommend that you look at one of the CircuPool models as a lot of our members have reported good success using them.

They are always having a sale where you pay for one model and get the next model up for a buck.. I would use an RJ model and not any of the SJ models.. I recommend you look at the RJ20 or 30.. But they have others as well.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked about the transformer is because it's output is DC and only running to small DC LED lights. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to run the SWG off of this since it is a 300 watt output.

How does the ICHOR30 compare to the IC40.

Thanks Again

I am a big Pentair kind of guy, but unless you have a Pentair automation system, then the IC40 is not really your best choice..

The IC40 runs off of DC voltage, not AC voltage, so your landscape transformer will not work.

It is always better to have too larger a cell vs. too small of a cell.

The IC40 has an internal flow switch.

The amount of salt is shown in the manual of any SWCG you buy..

I would recommend that you look at one of the CircuPool models as a lot of our members have reported good success using them.

They are always having a sale where you pay for one model and get the next model up for a buck.. I would use an RJ model and not any of the SJ models.. I recommend you look at the RJ20 or 30.. But they have others as well.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just looked into the CircuPool models. You're right, The reveiws are really good. Maybe I should go this route..... Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.