New Guy From New Orleans Area!

Try using the DPD test daily at first for a while. Once you can predict with accuracy what your free chlorine will be, try the color block test in between. It may take a season, with the DPD testing, dosing, and predicting under differing conditions, but once you have that nailed down tight you can mostly use the OTO (yellow) test.

I use the FAS DPD test every time I test. I prefer the most accurate testing. I know what my pool needs daily and sometimes, I'll just go out n dump a gallon before I head to work, without testing, because I know what it needs.

On days you don't have time, you can do the same thing. You'll get to know your pool through accurate testing n how it behaves through rain, extreme Sun n shade if it gets any, and bather load.

I got off of work this morning and headed straight to the back yard and tested my water again.

Date:4-17-15 Time:0400 Water Temp:74
FC = Less than .5
CC = Less than .5
TC = Less than 1
CH = 250
TA = 45 (Clear @ 4 drops and Red @ 5 drops)
CYA = 0

Added 60oz of 8.25% Great Value Bleach that is all currently.

My question is how long should I wait before I add the 53oz CYA Pool Math calls for?

It also says to add 129oz of bathing soda and 15oz of Calcium Chloride. Is that needed right now while I try and get the CYA to the correct level.

Wayne

I would add the CYA right now. It will help keep your chlorine from burning off.

Put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return. You can squeeze the sock to speed up the process. Do NOT test for the CYA for about a week. Do pool math as if you already have the number you are shooting for.

Kim

The sock and return way is much better just in case you need to backwash. Sure would hate to backwash it out after you put it in.

If you do put it in the skimmer you need to put it in a sock first. You do not want to run it whole through the pump.

Kim

I got off of work this morning and headed straight to the back yard and tested my water again.

Date:4-17-15 Time:0400 Water Temp:74
FC = Less than .5
CC = Less than .5
TC = Less than 1
CH = 250
TA = 45 (Clear @ 4 drops and Red @ 5 drops)
CYA = 0

Added 60oz of 8.25% Great Value Bleach that is all currently.

My question is how long should I wait before I add the 53oz CYA Pool Math calls for?

It also says to add 129oz of bathing soda and 15oz of Calcium Chloride. Is that needed right now while I try and get the CYA to the correct level.

Wayne

I back washed my filter just now too, would it be ok to add the CYA to the skimmer as I won't be back washing for a while?

Wayne

If you are 100% certain you won't have to backwash for 7-8 days you can, but if you backwash before then, you'll be buying more Cya. Up to you.

Your Pool is perfect without adding the Calcium. Vinyl pools are much more flexible in this regard.

You can add the Baking Soda now.

What is your pH?

Honestly I never checked the pH. And pH is a judgement call on my end right? Isn't the test for pH the red color column?

Is it ok to test it since adding the bleach? I havnt added the CYA yet.

I'm just nervous doing to much to fast will make the pool do something crazy.

Here is what Pool Math says.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 92

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So long as your FC is under 10 you can and should check your PH. Yes PH is the red oh the pool math chart. Let us know what you test results are for the PH.

Please go ahead and get the CYA into the pool. It is the number one way to "protect" your chlorine from the sun.

You will not mess up your pool if you wait 30 mins. between adding the stuff. Of course your CYA will be dissolving in the sock the whole time so that does not count towards waiting between adding.

Kim

Forget about calcium. Vinyl pools just don't need even a little bit.

Get the CYA in n dissolving. Check the pH,at least 1x a week. Check the TA monthly unless you're adjusting it. Once you get your CYA on target, check it monthy, especially after a lot of rain, if you're dumping water. Because remember, that CYA lowers through dilution a well as Calcium and salt.

You won't mess the pool up by adjusting your numbers. If you're unclear, read the ABC's again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.