Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hello, I've been casually reading for a bit over a year. Waiting for my building to start after I signed a contract June 2021. The time has finally come, and excavation started March 29th. This build is in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Specs:
16' x38' Gunite Pool with 3' to 6' water depth
- 10' x 6' Sundeck and 3-6' Steps
- 3/8" rebar 12" on center
- Walls 8" and Floor 10" 6000 PSI Gunite
- 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, 2 main drain with 1.5" to 2" PVC
- Chlorinator
- 6" x 6" Solid Pool Tile
- Jandy 2.7HP VS Pump
- Jandy Automation Controller
- Jandy Cartridge Filter
- 3x Jandy Multi-color LED Lights
- 2x Jandy Multi-color LED Bubblers (Sun Deck)
- Umbrella Sleeve (Sun Deck)
- Diamond Bright Plaster Finish
- Dolphin M400 Auto Cleanr and Docking Station

Reactions: Lineman7
And the mud starts flying! That's a big hole, you'll have lots of fun! Congrats on the the build starting. 🤞the build goes quickly and smoothly for you! When you say chlorinator, do you mean an inline tab feeder, SWCG, or something else?

And the mud starts flying! That's a big hole, you'll have lots of fun! Congrats on the the build starting. 🤞the build goes quickly and smoothly for you! When you say chlorinator, do you mean an inline tab feeder, SWCG, or something else?
Thanks. I did not elect for SWCG, not in the budget ATM. So my read is inline tab feeder, provided by builder.

Thanks. I did not elect for SWCG, not in the budget ATM. So my read is inline tab feeder, provided by builder.
Understood, those pesky budgets do get in the way (caused me to choose the lesser of two builders, which I regret). I highly recommend going sans budget, but that may turn into different kind of money problem ;). I'd say drop the tab feeder and stick with liquid chlorine, test and sanitize appropriately. Perhaps the builder will refund back the inline cost or stock you up with liquid chlorine. I'm going with SWCG on my build, but my previous pool just stuck with liquid chlorine and worked just fine. If you did stick with the tab feeder, make sure you have check valves between it and any equipment.

Understood, those pesky budgets do get in the way (caused me to choose the lesser of two builders, which I regret). I highly recommend going sans budget, but that may turn into different kind of money problem ;). I'd say drop the tab feeder and stick with liquid chlorine, test and sanitize appropriately. Perhaps the builder will refund back the inline cost or stock you up with liquid chlorine. I'm going with SWCG on my build, but my previous pool just stuck with liquid chlorine and worked just fine. If you did stick with the tab feeder, make sure you have check valves between it and any equipment.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I will definitely find out if I can get any sort of credit. We had our first miss today, as it looks like my 6' swim-outs were not explicitly stated in the contract so I'm getting hit with my first change order. They were definitely included in the layout sketches that came after the contract, but not listed on the signed specifications. It is what it is.

I have already asked to have my pad setup for future install of Heat Pump (to be purchased year 2 or year 3). Should I request space to enable SWCG at a later date as well?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I will definitely find out if I can get any sort of credit. We had our first miss today, as it looks like my 6' swim-outs were not explicitly stated in the contract so I'm getting hit with my first change order. They were definitely included in the layout sketches that came after the contract, but not listed on the signed specifications. It is what it is.

I have already asked to have my pad setup for future install of Heat Pump (to be purchased year 2 or year 3). Should I request space to enable SWCG at a later date as well?
Bummer, hopefully they don't use that as an excuse to try to recoup some of inflation's bite.

Great call on having the pad set up for the heat pump space! As for the SWCG space, unless you're operating on a really tight space, not sure if you need to designate space for it (it will just replace some of your PVC piping after your filter or heat pump depending when you install). Just make sure you get a layout of the pad set up before it's actually done to make sure it's getting set up how you want it and you can easily add the SWCG later. If you don't know, now might be a good time to double check your cartridge filter size too. Make sure it's right sized (or ideally oversized) to save you filtering time and avoid excessive cleanings.

Just make sure you have 3ft on either side of the equipment pad. My 119,00btu heat pump has a foot print of 35 1/2in x 35 1/2in. You can get a preform pad for about $70 bucks. Then do the plumbing yourself. I'm about to do this myself, New HP and SWG.

Congratulations on the pool. They are sooooo much fun!

Took the drone out at lunch for some progress pics... hoping for cooperative weather, Foreman mentioned they'd like to shoot the shell in next week. I'm trying to arrange the exact date, as my wife and I are going out of town for her birthday and it can't be rescheduled.

DJI_0438.JPGDJI_0451.JPGDJI_0442.JPGDJI_0444.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took the drone out at lunch for some progress pics... hoping for cooperative weather, Foreman mentioned they'd like to shoot the shell in next week. I'm trying to arrange the exact date, as my wife and I are going out of town for her birthday and it can't be rescheduled.

View attachment 399548View attachment 399549View attachment 399552View attachment 399553
Awesome to see the progress! I'm not a plumbing expert, and there may not be anything wrong with it, but I don't think you want that much plumbing running underneath the pool? Tagging a few people who would know better than me @jimmythegreek @Newdude @ajw22

but I don't think you want that much plumbing running underneath the pool?
You never want any more than you absolutely need, say, like for main drains or bubblers. This is entirely avoidable and lazy but many builders think it's OK.

You never want any more than you absolutely need, say, like for main drains or bubblers. This is entirely avoidable and lazy but many builders think it's OK.
Enough to call them out? I mean, thought the point of excavating around the perimeter was indeed for plumbing.

Reactions: Newdude
Awesome to see the progress! I'm not a plumbing expert, and there may not be anything wrong with it, but I don't think you want that much plumbing running underneath the pool?

You have a lazy plumber.

Much better should a joint spring a leak or a pipe get clogged if the pipe is run outside the pool and then horizontally to its location in the wall. That way no joints are buried in the pool floor.

I would have that redone properly.

Not a fan of the same size pipe feeding four wall returns....and running thru the middle of pool bottom isn't great. Could easily add 4 sticks of pipe and feed 2 returns only both sets back to pad outside of the shell.

Slow rolling lately. PB has pointed at the weather, 9-days of rain in the past 30-days. I was hoping for more work in parallel, but it's a lot of sequential work. Regardless it is what it is, and here's some update pics.

Electrical:
01.jpg
02.jpg

Started waterline tiling! I was looking at the Pool School, and wanted to check in if this installation is looking proper...? Unsure.

Tile start:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I feel like I've been big time slacking on this thread!

In the meantime:

1) I decided to become a TFP supporter.
2) I worked through some stuff with the help of TFP on the cantilever decking
3) I read and reread the OB Startup plan, and still had questions, and got them answered!
4) I'm now filling my pool!!!!!

Progress pictures in chronological order incoming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.