new glass tile pool - how to balance the water?

gsnake

Jun 16, 2019
Vancouver, BC
I have just finished tiling my concrete swimming pool (it used to be plaster). So now I have beautiful mosaic glass tiles and epoxy grout. I just filled it with water a couple of days ago and now ready to do the proper balancing. I will definitely go to the local pool store for testing the water and purchasing the necessary chemicals but based on their feedback I am not sure why would I still need to add calcium to the pool water.. As I said the pool is a concrete pool, waterproofing was done using Mapelastic 315, then glass tiles, then epoxy grout.. Maybe a little bit of calcium not as much as for the plaster pool? the size of the pool is about 20000 gal.. thanks!

Attachments

• pool22.jpg
    pool22.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 9

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Grout is a form of plaster. You need at least 200 ppm of CH to keep the water from leaching calcium out of the grout and eroding it.

Maintaining grout integrity is important to not having glass tiles loosen.

Reactions: gsnake

gsnake

Jun 16, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Grout is a form of plaster. You need at least 200 ppm of CH to keep the water from leaching calcium out of the grout and eroding it.

Maintaining grout integrity is important to not having glass tiles loosen.
thanks @ajw22 - this applies even to the epoxy grout? what is the ideal range? 200-300 ppm?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
thanks @ajw22 - this applies even to the epoxy grout? what is the ideal range? 200-300 ppm?

Yes, it applies to epoxy grout.

Low end of the plaster pool range is fine.

Reactions: gsnake
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.