New gas heater installed, never started it up

So my pool builder installed a heater and since the hvac guys hadn't laid the pipe in for the gas line yet, they didn't start it up. However, when the gas guys finished they said they couldn't start it up since they'd never done it before. Everything is ready. Is there anything I need to know before starting it up for the first time?

You didn't say which heater you got. My Pentair heater has an internal gas shut-off valve which the installer did not open. I had to find it and open it myself in order to get the heater to fire up the first time.

Is the heater's "fireman's switch" connected properly to the EasyTouch? If not, you'll want to wire that. With 2 crews working on it, I can imagine each crew figured the other crew would do stuff like that.

Most likely the lines will need to be purged depending on gas run. Make sure all gas valves are open and pilot valve is open. Some have an on and off switch on the automatic gas valve. To purge: Cycle the heater on let it try firing a few times and restart cycle and repeat until heater fires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.