New from Gilbert AZ

AZ Swimmer

Jun 10, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Hi, I bought a home in Gilbert, AZ with a fresh water pool. I previously owned a salt pool in Texas. This home had been a rental and had pool service, but I'm not sure how well it was maintained. One of the first things we did was drain and restart the pool. Since then water clarity has been up and down, because the Arizona sun is murder on Chlorine. Looking for other AZ owners that can give me tips on keeping my pool in top shape.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Find TFP! ... Congrats you completed the first step
2. Order one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared
3. Start reading Pool School while waiting for your test kit. Start here ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
4. Post up your test results and we can help you get up and running

The key to maintaining a pool is keeping adequate FC in the pool at all times as a function of your CYA level. See the FC/CYA Levels
In AZ, you likely want your CYA in the 50-60ppm range to protect the FC from the sun.

Given the hard water, you likely want to stick with liquid chlorine, which needs to be added every day.
You also need to keep your pH balanced to avoid scaling issues.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Find TFP! ... Congrats you completed the first step
2. Order one of the recommended test kits: Test Kits Compared
3. Start reading Pool School while waiting for your test kit. Start here ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
4. Post up your test results and we can help you get up and running

The key to maintaining a pool is keeping adequate FC in the pool at all times as a function of your CYA level. See the FC/CYA Levels
In AZ, you likely want your CYA in the 50-60ppm range to protect the FC from the sun.

Given the hard water, you likely want to stick with liquid chlorine, which needs to be added every day.
You also need to keep your pH balanced to avoid scaling issues.
Jblizzle, thanks for the welcome information. If I am using liquid chlorine every day, what do you recommend when I go out of town?

Thanks

Hi neighbor, welcome to TFP. :wave:

Jason has you pretty much covered with the links and suggestions he provided you. I will say that I run my pool with a CYA of 70-80 because of the sun. I like running a higher FC level in my pool due to the warmer water temperatures we have here. Also, I keep my pool topped off with softened water to keep my CH levels down.