New FL Build - 5 Years Almost done planning

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

Now having something physical to look at and not just plans on paper I have more questions and concerns about my build. Specifically with how the features of the pool are able to run; how much control over what can run independently of each other. For example does the shelf spillway run independently of the spa?
I plan on meeting up the builder to go over these questions? I wish I had thought of this before the project got this far.

What I am asking here is any help or suggestions on what I should ask for, or how should I ask my equipment to be plumbed?
What I plan on asking is:
Can the shelf bubblers run independently of the spa?
Can the shelf spillway run independently?
Which feature can run independently of the pool running?
Does each pipe have a valve so certain parts can be isolated? I was looking at getting the Intellivalves to allow me to turn certain features on and off or be able to control the rate of flow to a feature like the shelf spillway.
When heating the spa is it possible to direct warm water to the kiddie area?

I should of thought about all this earlier.

Talked to my builder and answered a lot of my questions above and I will wait till the plumbing gets completed to my equipment pad before I reopen this discussion.

@kimkats Just got the latest color selections from the wife (all her selections are subject to change until actually installed)
Ivory Travertine deck and shelf spillway with blue granite pebble sheen with the attached tiles. Small tiles for waterline and the two walls and the larger for the spa. IMG_20210322_074419 (1).jpg

Glad you got so many answer from your PB. Make sure to share any and all info with us so we can make sure it is true!

LOVE the tiles!! You KNOW I am going to love the extra, special tile BUT I do want to ask where in the spa it is going to go. So many interesting things to see in that tile!

Talking to the plumber today.
They are planning to plumb like water features together.
For example the two medallion spouts on each wall or the bubbles will be plumbed as one because, "why would I want to run just one", which made sense to me at the time. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I wouldn't want to run only one of my three deck jets, or scuppers. I guess if they were on opposite sides of the pool or something else that would 'separate' them out, I might want them separated, but generally, keeping all of one type together is what you would want. My builder ran individual lines for each to my pad, so I could turn off individual ones if I wanted to, and be able to balance the flow to them.

Edit - added statement about balancing the flow to the features.

--Jeff

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't want to run only one of my three deck jets, or scuppers. I guess if they were on opposite sides of the pool or something else that would 'separate' them out, I might want them separated, but generally, keeping all of one type together is what you would want. Although, my builder ran individual lines for each to my pad, so I could turn off individual ones if I wanted to.

--Jeff
Thanks Jeff, made sense to me just wanted to check.
The only thing I could see I would want to be seperate is the led bubblers to make them light up different.

Speaking about bubblers, would plumbing them together effect the water pressure those get negatively?

Let me back up a second. It was late last night when I typed my reply so I wasn't thinking about why I had an individual line for each. So for any water feature, if there are multiples, you need a way to adjust the flow to each one independently, so that you can balance them. For waterfalls, that may be a single line ran from the equipment pad, all the way to the location of the falls, but then they should split and go to individual lines with a valve so that you can balance the flow. The valve can be at either the equipment pad or near the feature, but there should be a way to manually adjust flow individually to each line for flow balancing.

So while I want to turn all of each type of feature on/off at one time, there still needs to be an individual line with a valve for flow balancing.

Sorry for any confusion I added with my previous post.

--Jeff

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.