New filter, No leaks, high chlorine level, ran pool pump for 1 week and the pool is still green. Can any help.

greenpoolman

Jul 14, 2021
colton california
My pool was perfect until this summer. I decided to get a new pool filter and that when everything went wrong. The new cartridge filters did not sit snuggly into the pool filter and It seemed to be getting lots of air in the system. I thought all was well but the pool starter turning green. I opened the pool filter again and discovered only about a 1/3 of the filter was getting wet. Water was not filling up the water filter like before. I figured the new pool filter was the culprit because it did not sit tightly on the base so I removed them, cleaned the old ones which fit very snug into the pool filter base and re-ran the system. Unfortunately that didn't change anything, the pool just got greener and greener.

Now the pool has very high levels of chlorine, been shocking it for 2 days and the water is still green. Left the pool pump on for 3 days strait but nothing is changing. I checked for leaks and there aren't any. I do bleed the air out of the tank but when I come back an hour or so later and try bleeding the air again, I find there's lots of air in the water filter tank again. Is this normal? Does anyone know what is going on? Does the new cartridge need to sit snuggly on the pool filter base? Why is the algae not getting filtered? It seems to be going right thought the filter. There is not pressure loss. The suction is strong the the exit water is okay. Can anyone help solve this mystery?

Here is what I noticed.
1. The Water in the air filter tank goes down as soon as I turn off the pump.
2. When I bleed all the air out of the tank, it will fill up with air again a few hours later even when the pump is running
3. The filter doesn't seem to be pick up the the small particles.
4. After running the pump for a few days, the filter doesn't seem that dirty.
5. I put dish washer soap suds all over the system and there are no looks I can see.

pool filter brand crystal clear 570-0425

Attachments

• 20210714_171529.jpg
    20210714_171529.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210714_171208.jpg
    20210714_171208.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.
Do you test your own pool water? What test kit do you use? Please post some test info for pH, CYA, FC, TA and CH as we cannot interpret "very high chlorine levels". Based on your photo, you have algae but we have seen worst on the forum and have been successful in cleaning it up. What type of shock are you using? Have you tried liquid chlorine?
Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry? Also review this chart FC/CYA Levels.

With regard to your filter, have you checked your cartridge to ensure no holes or tears. Also, I am not familiar with the Crystal Clear filter, but does it have a seal where the cartridge sits that may be damaged?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.