Mar 10, 2024
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP Family

I had some issues with heavy rain in my pool. Went out of town for my daughter's college graduation. Before I left I put 2 chlorine tablets in the chlorinator. When I came back 5 days later my pool was completely empty. Pool Builder is saying the top may have not been screwed tight on the chlorinator but I don't see how an entire pool could drain in 24 hours. At any rate I had to refill my pool and now I need to know how to balance chemicals. I can test the water and post results in this thread but needed to know what to do. We will have heavy rain over the next few days.

Screenshot_20240515_220925_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240515_220913_Gallery.jpg

Oh NO !!! Is the pump OK?

We will have heavy rain over the next few days.
513991a5-05f8-4b74-8254-d81e9615e57b_text.gif

Rain schmain. Pffffft.

Get 30 ppm granular CYA hanging in a sock in front of a return.

Dose FC like it's in there as soon as it's soaking.

Get the pH into the 7s if it is a 6 or an 8.

Post the TA and CH

Reactions: kenyanelson
OK. Thanks. Just got home and I can test. The pump is OK. My pool builder was scheduled to come to the house to address drainage issues after I took pictures and videos from the storm. I left Wednesday morning at 5am. They came out Thursday afternoon and said the pool was empty and they thought I had my pool cleaners drain it. 🙄 not sure why I would ever do that and would assume if I did I would use a pump. Anyway he said he turned off the pump. They called me but never left a voicemail or said anything about me not having water. I got home Sunday night at midnight and the pool was empty. Took this pic first thing Monday and sent to pool builder and everyone came flying to the house. They have test scheduled but needed to get water back in. They believe there's no leak and could be the chlorinator but that just seems like a lot to me. Overall I'm just tired. It happened for a reason so I need to work on starter chemicals. I have chlorine and a little Muriatic Acid. I'll have to pick up any other stuff.

Here's the numbers from the test I just did I don't have enough Muriatic Acid so will need to get more of that and whatever else. I think I've been more frustrated because this pool has been a lot. I'm coming up on having it one year. They finished on May 17th but had issues so it wasn't ready until the first week of June 2023. Plus I had gotten laid off from Google in December 2022 and still not back to work. I haven't always had the patience to deal with the pool so the first time I used TFP really helped a lot because it gave me some control and helped me understand what was really going on in terms of balancing chemicals. The pool builder is scheduling someone to test the lines, diver to check for leaks and supposed to be putting a swale in the yard and adding a second pump for excess water. They are coming together as a construction team to address what's going on with the drainage. Where do I buy CYA?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_231343.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_231343.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 7
Oh NO !!! Is the pump OK?

View attachment 573369

Rain schmain. Pffffft.

Get 30 ppm granular CYA hanging in a sock in front of a return.

Dose FC like it's in there as soon as it's soaking.

Get the pH into the 7s if it is a 6 or an 8.

Post the TA and CH
Yes. After the SLAM I held the rain pretty good. I think the drainage issues or whatever was going on was still affecting the pool. The house flooded near the walls of my bedroom and breakfast nook and now all the baseboards are peeling from the wall. I was about ready to rip out the whole pool. Just trying to pull myself back together. Here's some pics and videos of the storm. It's dark but they could see the water flooding.

I haven't always had the patience to deal with the pool so the first time I used TFP really helped a lot because it gave me some control and helped me understand what was really going on
And this setback hurts twice as much because of it. If it happened 2 months or so ago it would have done you a favor. The universe is cruel like that sometimes. :(

Where do I buy CYA?
Anywhere with a pool aisle. Walmart, Homedepot, Ace, etc. Or any pool store. I Google before I go because sometimes it's sold out at my 1st choice and other times one is particularly cheaper than the other. One has 4lbs and the other 5lb so factor that into the cost analysis. It may be called stabilizer instead of CYA, but check the ingredients for 100% cyanuric acid and you're good.

The water test is your fill water ? You'll need 100 CH and the fill water will bring it up the rest of the way.

Anywhere that has the CYA will also have CH increaser. With some time at the moment, Amazon may be convienent.

I think I have several places but just been told that it's rain and the rain was sitting. I assumed the grass was rotting in those areas from the rain sitting for long periods.
There's definitely a small leak. You can see the weeping when the pool was empty. Hopefully they find it. Texas has thunderstorms all day today and rain tomorrow so monitoring

I think I have several places but just been told that it's rain and the rain was sitting. I assumed the grass was rotting in those areas from the rain sitting for long periods.
12000 gallons of water in a short period of time is not trivial.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And this setback hurts twice as much because of it. If it happened 2 months or so ago it would have done you a favor. The universe is cruel like that sometimes. :(

Anywhere with a pool aisle. Walmart, Homedepot, Ace, etc. Or any pool store. I Google before I go because sometimes it's sold out at my 1st choice and other times one is particularly cheaper than the other. One has 4lbs and the other 5lb so factor that into the cost analysis. It may be called stabilizer instead of CYA, but check the ingredients for 100% cyanuric acid and you're good.

The water test is your fill water ? You'll need 100 CH and the fill water will bring it up the rest of the way.

Anywhere that has the CYA will also have CH increaser. With some time at the moment, Amazon may be convienent.
OK. I just came back with chemicals. I read before I use CYA that I should clean the filter is that true. Also my pool equipment has something to put in dichlor I believe. Is that for Calcium Hardness. Here's what I bought. I'll go check equipment. You mentioned using a sock near return so checking that now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516_130111_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_130111_Gallery.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 7
I read before I use CYA that I should clean the filter is that true
They advise you to add it to your skimmer where it'll get trapped in the skimmer and not allow you to backwash / clean the filter for a week. It also may clog your plumbing if you dump the bag too fast, as most would do.

We don't ever advise putting acid through your equipment, and prefer the sock in the pool method. It likely wouldn't wreck you on the first try, but there's just zero reason to try.

Here's a current thread about it.

Also my pool equipment has something to put in dichlor
That's powdered shock. Never put anything but dichlor in it. It doesn't play well with others.
Is that for Calcium Hardness
Calcium gets broadcast into the pool and brushed well. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Here's what I bought.
Ya did good. (y)

They advise you to add it to your skimmer where it'll get trapped in the skimmer and not allow you to backwash / clean the filter for a week. It also may clog your plumbing if you dump the bag too fast, as most would do.

We don't ever advise putting acid through your equipment, and prefer the sock in the pool method. It likely wouldn't wreck you on the first try, but there's just zero reason to try.

That's powdered shock. Never put anything but dichlor in it. It doesn't play well with others.

Calcium gets broadcast into the pool and brushed well. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Ya did good. (y)
OK. I just added the Muriatic Acid to lower the pH. Do I wait and then put the stabilizer in next? I don't have a skimmer sock. My skimmer does have one on there already though. Here's a pic or should I find something and put in the actual pool

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240516_133056_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240516_133056_Gallery.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 6
You could put up to two pounds of stabilizer at a time in your skimmer basket with that skimmer sock in place. Run the pump non stop until it is dissolved. If the pool water is warm, it will be gone in an hour or two. Then add some more.
One pound of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 10 ppm.

Check the thread I posted above. Use an actual sock or similar, carrot on a stick like in front of a working return. Some time later, or even tomorrow it'll squish right out. Brush well after.

Count it as being added for FC dosing as soon as it's hanging.

Give the MA 20 minutes to disperse and hang the sock.

Ya did good. (y)
Ok. I read the thread articles and saw the pictures. I can find something to put it in and hang in the pool.

Reactions: newdude
You could put up to two pounds of stabilizer at a time in your skimmer basket with that skimmer sock in place. Run the pump non stop until it is dissolved. If the pool water is warm, it will be gone in an hour or two. Then add some more.
One pound of stabilizer will raise your CYA by 10 ppm.
OK. Added. Pool temperature is currently 77 degrees. I'll check in an hour. When do I add liquid chlorine? Do I wait and test my numbers in an hour or keep working on CYA then add chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support