Colorado
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, I’m about to be a new fiberglass pool owner and am looking for advice on closing the pool as installation is completed.

We are seeing freezing temps currently and am wondering if I should just leave the skimmer and returns plugged as they fill the pool and close the pool as is, or should I run the equipment and try to get the pool cleaned and balanced before closing it? Thanks for any advice

My fiberglass pool install was completed at this time last year. I left everything plugged and the pipes dry until spring. My PB returned in the spring to start everything up and test all the equipment. I used my Warrior SE robot to keep the pool clean and added liquid chlorine during the winter until starting up the SWG in the spring. It worked great 👍

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool. :wave: I tend to agree that there's not much benefit to trying to open and run the system at this point. Your water should be quite cold, so algae should not be a major concern. Perhaps adding a little liquid chlorine, about 2 - 3 ppm, should be all that's needed. I wouldn't try to balance anything else right now. Running a robot is a nice thought if you have one. If not, do your best to manually remove any junk that may be sitting at the bottom. Do try to schedule the installer's return as soon as possible in the spring though. Have Santa bring you a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit with magnetic speedstir so you're ready. Start reading the link below and don't forget to update your signature.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool. :wave: I tend to agree that there's not much benefit to trying to open and run the system at this point. Your water should be quite cold, so algae should not be a major concern. Perhaps adding a little liquid chlorine, about 2 - 3 ppm, should be all that's needed. I wouldn't try to balance anything else right now. Running a robot is a nice thought if you have one. If not, do your best to manually remove any junk that may be sitting at the bottom. Do try to schedule the installer's return as soon as possible in the spring though. Have Santa bring you a TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C) test kit with magnetic speedstir so you're ready. Start reading the link below and don't forget to update your signature.

Thanks for the reply! I already have the TF-100 with speedstir and have been reading all I can from this site :) I was somewhat ready for the pool when it was supposed to be here in June. Thanks for the reminder on updating my signature

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.