New equipment pad layout for existing ppol

Dec 11, 2016
Lafayette
Hi everyone, I'm new here. :)
We bought our house around 6 years ago & the pool & it's equipment are probably around 15-20 years old now.
Everything is leaking & failing.
I'm planning on doing an equipment pad overhaul & just wanted to get a double check on the layout I've sketched out.
I already have a Pentair SunTouch controller (it's only a few years old) so I'm mostly going with Pentair equipment.

• Pentair Quad DE High Flow Filter | 60 Sq Ft | 188592
  • Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP Max | 011018
  • Pentair Intellichlor Salt Chlorine Generator | IC20KIT

Here's the layout I've come up with after reading most of the manuals for all of the new equipment.
It's a top down plan view of my pad, not 100% to scale, but pretty close.
pool plumb Page 006.jpg

Please let me know if I've over looked something or put something in the order.
Thanks for your time.

What jumps out to me is the pool sweep. It should say "from" pool as the water will be coming in from the pool sweep by way of the pump. I THINK the pool sweep needs to be BEFORE the filter so anything the sweep picks ups is filtered out before it goes back out to the pool.

There will be several that will tell you to ditch the pool sweep for a good robot cleaner. Even if you do go that route you will still need to have the pool sweep going to the filter in case you want to use a manual vacuum.

Kim:kim:

Hi Buzz
[EDIT] The cleaner pump should Tee off after the filter and is going to the pool just as you have noted. Looks ok to me.

One other observation unrelated to the plumbing. If your pool volume is more than about 12000 gallons, the IC20 SWG will not be able to keep up with your chlorine demand.

We recommend you size the SWG at least 1.5x the volume of the pool. 2x would be even better. Less wear and tear on the cell which means it will last longer before you have to replace it. The little added upfront cost of the IC40 will be money well spent over the long run.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I didn't use my terms correctly. This is a booster pressure side pump. It pushes water to the sweep & catches the stuff in a bag, doesn't suck up the water.
Here are the manuals I'm using for reference.
booster.pdf.jpgbooster2.jpgbooster3.jpg
So knowing that, is my setup still incorrect?

Thanks for the tip on the IC20/IC40 SWG. Iwas considering going with the IC40, now I will.

Baz,

If you are buying all new equipment anyway, why not dump last Century's booster pump and pressure side cleaner technology, and just buy a Robot, which is today's technology? Cheaper to operate and does not require your main pump to run when cleaning the pool.

I agree with the others that an IC40 would be a much better option than the IC20..

Jim R.

Hi Baz,
I totally misintrepreted your original post and have edited my reply to it.
Your set up is correct. Apologies for the confusion.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies. Maybe I didn't use my terms correctly. This is a booster pressure side pump. It pushes water to the sweep & catches the stuff in a bag, doesn't suck up the water.
View attachment 55951View attachment 55952View attachment 55954

Thanks for the tip on the IC20/IC40 SWG. Iwas considering going with the IC40, now I will.

Hi everyone,
View attachment 55951View attachment 55952View attachment 55954

[/COLOR]

Got ya! Then your set up is good. If you even want to vacuum your pool with a manual vacuum you can always use the skimmer to send the stuff to the filter.

Well done on helping us understand your set up!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.