New East Texas Pool Build- Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
KenGood said:
96A27CF0-54A0-476F-A8DE-2FEC724001F7.png

Hey Ken, don't mean to hijack your thread but when you installed those new wemo switches was the "neutral" wire that you needed readily available? I just ordered a couple and was unaware of the fact that you needed a "neutral" wire for each....was wondering if every switch had a neutral wire in the box.....thanks for any help!~Chris

Initially, I did not see a neutral wire so I decided to hire someone to install. But I finally decided to give it a try. I found the neutral wire easily. There is one per box (outlet). There was also a ground in each box too. I installed one last night in less than 10 minutes. I have now installed 5 of them. You can do it easily. Good luck.

Got a call and asked to drop everything to handle an emergency client problem last night. Today, I drove three hours and my car broke down 20 minutes away from the meeting I was going to attend. I was talking to my client and asked them to come and get me. I was picked up and taken to meeting with minutes to spare. The meeting was just as contentious as feared by the client, but we won. Now I am at auto place having water pump replaced. I felt so stupid when the guy asked me the make and model of my car. I had no idea because it only goes to dealership. I had to apologize for my total lack of car knowledge. Felt pretty stupid. My wife knows 10 x or maybe even 100 times more than me about cars.

$650.00 later I am headed home with a new water pump installed on my car. My bumper to bumper warranty expired 4,000 miles ago. All I could think was that I could have spent that money to buy one and a half or two of readyforapool's drink machine. I would have rather had the drink.

I was elected to the board of directors of our Home Owners Association today. I was on our old association where we used to live. I did that because I did extreme Christmas Lights and I had seen issues dealing with homeowner's associations and extreme lights. So I always wanted to be in the room and with a vote if there was ever an issue. But thankfully the issues we had were always minor. We had such good neighbors.

The new group is having some difficult issues to address. The 8 inch rain that we had several months ago washed out a bridge owned by the Home Owner's Association and it appears that it may be costly to repair. So I do not know if it was an honor or a burden to be elected this time. But I will get to meet some new people and I bet I get to hear a lot more neighborhood gossip. I was nominated also to be President and I declined. I have not been on the board before and I do not even know the current board members. So I was elected Secretary instead.

I was approached by several neighbors about the delays with our construction project and one person asked me what I thought of "he who shall not be named." I asked him why he asked and he proceeded to tell me some very interesting things . . .

clg82 said:
Hey Ken, don't mean to hijack your thread but when you installed those new wemo switches was the "neutral" wire that you needed readily available? I just ordered a couple and was unaware of the fact that you needed a "neutral" wire for each....was wondering if every switch had a neutral wire in the box.....thanks for any help!~Chris

The last two NEC revisions require a neutral wire in all switch boxes. Too many people were repurposing the ground wire for this.

Danpik,

When did this go into effect. I would be good to know the year so that if you knew your house was built after that year, you would be more confident in buying these types of switches and would also know that if your house was built before that time, then you needed to further checking? Thanks in advance for the information.

danpik said:
clg82 said:

The last two NEC revisions require a neutral wire in all switch boxes. Too many people were repurposing the ground wire for this.

gotcha....turns out every one of the switches that i replaced already had a neutral wire....thanks for the help ken and danpik

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
clg82 said:
danpik said:
clg82 said:

gotcha....turns out every one of the switches that i replaced already had a neutral wire....thanks for the help ken and danpik
That's good, as long as you don't confuse a white switch leg wire as a neutral. That white wire, by the way, should be identified with a black tape or marker as a current carrying wire. Remember, neutral is always white (in the US anyway), White is not always neutral.

I should have offered this explanation for the locked topic yesterday....sorry I am just now getting to it.

Here's what happened. Over time, KG's pool build devolved from informative to simply a long complaint about the mistrust he had of his pool builder. His pool builder came on to the forum and protested in PM's to the Admin, that he was being misrepresented.

While it is quite easy to take sides and believe one or the other, TFP will never get involved in that type dispute nor allow any suggestion of that dispute to remain in further public view.

So, the original thread was locked and KG was asked to keep any mention of his dispute with the PB off the forum. In the last part of this thread, KG, through innuendo, drug the dispute with PB back out into TFP......after being asked not to do that.

PB, of course, then sent us a PM with a ludicrous implication of a lawsuit....absolutely beyond description how silly that was but I think points out just how out of control their situation has become.

Being repetitious, TFP has no interest in choosing a side or allowing this to continue further.

Both PB and KG have been banned from this forum. We sincerely hope they both can work out something amenable to both sides but neither will be allowed to air their grievances on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.