New doughboy startup

sicnic

Nov 22, 2016
warrensburg
Finished filling the pool yesterday and added some cya and 12.5% liquid bleach. Tested this afternoon and here are my numbers. The only one I’m kind of puzzled by is the TA.

CYA=32. I want to add 14oz to raise this to 40ish

FC= 7.8 might have added a little too much bleach last night

Cc=0

PH=7.4

TA=200

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing? Please put your test kit brand/model in your signature.
No need to react on the TA. When your pH gets to 8, lower it to 7.4. The TA will drop over time.
Otherwise, all is good!
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

So I tested today and my CYA was 40 and FC was 3. I wanted to raise my FC to 6 and poolmath said to add 57oz of 12.5% bleach. I added at 7am. I retested FC at 11am and got a 11.2 FC reading. Did I do something wrong? I used a liquid measuring cup and did not guess how much I added. I also added 63oz or Muriatic acid at 1015 to reduce ph from 7.6 to 7.2 and help reduce my alkalinity. Would the Muriatic acid give me a false read on the FC?

Pool math says to put in 57 oz of 12.5 % bleach which is 7 cups 1 oz to raise it from 3 to 6. If it was measured correctly I do not know why it went up to 11.2. The only thing I can think of is testing error of the 3, less water volume then 18,500 or too much was put in.

Let’s see what the experts have to say.

When you tested this morning was the pump on for at least 30 minutes?
Poolmath is correct using the amounts and pool volume you state.

Use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.
Be sure the liquid reagent bottle is held vertically and each drop naturally drops off the tip. Do not squeeze the bottle.

When you tested this morning was the pump on for at least 30 minutes?
Poolmath is correct using the amounts and pool volume you state.

Use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One scoop of powder and each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.
Be sure the liquid reagent bottle is held vertically and each drop naturally drops off the tip. Do not squeeze the bottle.
It was on for at least 30 minutes. I just tested again and get 10.5 FC

I’m just gonna roll with it and see what tomorrow’s test brings. The water is clear and nice so I guess no reason to be concerned. I was just surprised why the recommended poolmath amount raised it so high. I probably screwed up the first test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you remember how much chlorine was added after filling the pool? I guess over one gallon?
You indicated 7.8 FC on Monday afternoon and 3 FC on Tuesday morning, than adding 3 FC and measuring 11.2 FC at 11 am on Tuesday.
It looks like 3 FC reading was incorrect for some reason and 8 + 3 = 11 with slight adjustment for testing accuracy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.