May 20, 2018
SE, Kansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My story:
I’ve had my pool installed 19 year’s ago. This year I opened it and saw that it was slightly green as usual at opening. I threw in four bags of Clorox shock that I bought from big box store. The pump was running and everything was set to go. As I was preparing to put the pool cleaner in I turned around towards the pool and it was completely covered with foam. That was something I had never encountered before. Very scary. No idea what was going on. Immediately came in and started searching the web. Found all kinds of reasons for my foam. Most didn’t fit my scenario. I finally narrowed it down to something I had never heard of before. CYA. What in the world is CYA and what can I buy to get rid of it? I finally discovered TFP and fortunately I can’t un see what I saw on here. My problem was explained in this forum to others seeking the same advice. Unfortunately for me I found this site the day after I visited my big box store to get more shock and pucks. I walk out feeling good about my $150.00 purchase and come home. I open both containers and continue just like every other year of pool opening. I threw three bags of shock in the pool and wham it starts to foam and I’m dipping it out of the pool with my net. So I come here and make the decision to do everything from here on out the TFP way. That night I ordered my TF-100 Kit and two days later I was doing tests I didn’t realize I needed to do.

So after two weeks I have drained one foot of water off and refilled three times now. My CYA is still a little high at 70-80. I have purchased bleach from my grocery store and check the Julian dates to make sure it’s fresh. I have purchased borax as well but haven’t used it. The only thing I’m doing is checking tests and using Poolmath as my guide. It has me using the bleach and it wants me to drain about 30% more water. I will wait on the (hopefully) final drain until after Memorial Day Weekend.

I called my daughter today and told her she can have all of my shock for her above ground pool that she takes down each year at the end of the season. I will no longer be using my in line chlorinator or powdered shock. The great people on this sight have convinced me do do things different and I will do it your way.

I do do have one question: I’m doing the chlorine tests but I’m a little confused at what each is called. There’s the FC, CC and the TC. I know what initials stand for but unsure of what test I’m doing represents each initial.

My tests from Today:
FC - .5
CC - .5
TC - 1
CH - 250
TA - 100
CYA- 70-80
PH - 7.2

water temp 72. Air temp 68.
I added 131 oz of bleach per pool math

Thank you for your time and this wonderful forum.

JWLuke

Welcome to the forum!

Great decision!

FC is Free Chlorine (first part of FAS-DPD test), CC is Combined Chloramines (second part of FAS-DPD test and indicator of problems); and TC is not used.

I assume you are waiting to drain some more to do your SLAM Process?

Keep reading Pool School and asking questions!

Take care.

Are you sure you are using poolmath and the FC/CYA chart properly? You should change the target FC box from default 4 to your target, which is minimum 5, target 8 to 10 for cya 70 (higher if you use cya 80). and dont forget to enter the concentration of bleach you are using. Sorry if you know this, just seems that the 131 oz you indicated seems low.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reminder pookiesunshine. I changed my target and it recommended 298oz @8% bleach, which I have. I didn’t realize that I had to insert my own target. Learning more and more everyday.

MKNauss, yes I will drain again before the SLAM.

Why do I need to SLAM if there is no algae? Am I looking at this all wrong? I thought a SLAM was similar to a shock treatment or is that just my old way of thinking?

Thanks for for the replies.

Welcome to the group JW...good start and good questions. These folks will have you all fixed up soon.

A
Thanks for the reminder pookiesunshine. I changed my target and it recommended 298oz @8% bleach, which I have. I didn’t realize that I had to insert my own target. Learning more and more everyday.

MKNauss, yes I will drain again before the SLAM.

Why do I need to SLAM if there is no algae? Am I looking at this all wrong? I thought a SLAM was similar to a shock treatment or is that just my old way of thinking?

Thanks for for the replies.

JW

If you could please complete your signature so it’s easy to reference tje details of your pool. What size is it? Is it a gunnite, liner or shell? Type of equipment...etc. I read your original post so first the TF-100 should have came with the he instruction card that tells you what each test is. The FC, CC is going to be chlorine, PH and TA will tell you if you need acid, aeration or baking soda.

So once you drain and get your CYA to the right level you'll want to run the tests and balance your Chlorine and PH. This is where you may need to slam. I would add the chlorine in the evening and test an hour later. The next morning test again before the sun hit’s the pool. If your FC loss is greater than .5 or your CC is 1 or greater that could be an indication of algae or other bacteria present and you’d want to SLAM to get rid of it. If your FC is stable and the CC is .5 or 0 you should be ok an then just need to maintain CC at the recommended level.

Hope this helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.