New construction in Houston, Tx ** Trying to complete punch list**

:party: oh yeah!!!

Now do not stop the flow of water or it could cause a ring to form on that pretty, new plaster.

BOOOOOOOO on the leak :( Here is hoping they fix it fast so it does not streak your new plaster where it is flowing down.

Pool is full!! Very very full. PB said to leave the water on a trickle overnight in the spa so it wouldn't drain down, pool overflowed overnight. I woke up at 1am and turned the water off, waited a few hours and turned it back on, repeat as needed until they start up the system so the pump can keep it full.

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
Right now it is just tap water, hopefully today we will be doing startup and balancing the water. Started brushing this morning. The color is Wet Edge Bermuda, eventually it will be a lot more blue than it is right now.

I have a 2" discharge pipe from the pump that goes to my deck drains. I was actually not happy to hear that they didn't add the overflow from the skimmer, we has discussed that very early in the project. The skimmer is only about 1 foot from the drain pipe, it would have only take a few minutes to do it right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is perfectly level. I checked it several times while it was being built. Sounds really nice with just the waterfall, too much with all of the other water features running. The bubbler is really loud, but that is mostly for the puppies to play in. I am surprised at how loud the pool pumps are, I can hear them fairly loud around the corner 35 feet away from the pump pad. Is this a temporary thing for breaking in the new pumps? I am not going to be able to have that much noise right next to my bedroom, or right next to my neighbor's house.

Reactions: 4x4tx
We are looking at Luna Quartz but I can’t find any pools that have it. We are doing o/b so don’t have a builder to ask. Please let me know what you think of the finish. Is it smooth or is it more rough? The quartz pools I’ve been in before were pretty smooth but that one looks like it is more rough. They don’t have very good pictures on their website and finding them online has been difficult. I’d love to see it close up.

I asked my PB today how much drains cost him and he said it's $21 each so $42 total for the drains and they tie into the deck drain at no extra cost. He said it sounds like an oversight that a builder wouldn't have you pay the $42 and get drains. Did you ask your builder about it?

It is perfectly level. I checked it several times while it was being built. Sounds really nice with just the waterfall, too much with all of the other water features running. The bubbler is really loud, but that is mostly for the puppies to play in. I am surprised at how loud the pool pumps are, I can hear them fairly loud around the corner 35 feet away from the pump pad. Is this a temporary thing for breaking in the new pumps? I am not going to be able to have that much noise right next to my bedroom, or right next to my neighbor's house.

Pumps can be loud if they are ran at full speed.. The VS pumps shine when they are run low and slow and that is where you get your money back on power... But, running things like your bubbler and spa overflow may need the higher louder setting... You can build some type of enclosure to lower the noise, the more insulation the better... They do not have to be big enclosures, just something to cover 2 sides and the top of the pump, the front and back will need to be open to let air move to keep the pumps cool... :)

Reactions: HermanTX
We are looking at Luna Quartz but I can’t find any pools that have it. We are doing o/b so don’t have a builder to ask. Please let me know what you think of the finish. Is it smooth or is it more rough? The quartz pools I’ve been in before were pretty smooth but that one looks like it is more rough. They don’t have very good pictures on their website and finding them online has been difficult. I’d love to see it close up.
We have only had it for 2 days so I am probably not the best reference, but it is smooth. We will have a better idea after constant brushing over the next several weeks, that is supposed to help bring out the aggregate color, and it is going to be more rough i am sure it will happen by then.

I asked my PB today how much drains cost him and he said it's $21 each so $42 total for the drains and they tie into the deck drain at no extra cost. He said it sounds like an oversight that a builder wouldn't have you pay the $42 and get drains. Did you ask your builder about it?
He said I never specified that I wanted it in the contract, but that it would have been a good idea. I really feel like I hired an incompetent builder, we have had so many problems with him I just want to have this whole thing behind me.
Pumps can be loud if they are ran at full speed.. The VS pumps shine when they are run low and slow and that is where you get your money back on power... But, running things like your bubbler and spa overflow may need the higher louder setting... You can build some type of enclosure to lower the noise, the more insulation the better... They do not have to be big enclosures, just something to cover 2 sides and the top of the pump, the front and back will need to be open to let air move to keep the pumps cool... :)

I was already considering something to hide the equipment, now I am considering something fully enclosed with insulation. If i did that and added something like a bathroom fan would that be enough ventilation for the equipment? I would also have to do an exhaust kit for the heater. I like the idea of four separate panels that I could use latches to attach to each other so I can remove any or all of them to work on equipment. In my mind it makes sense, but I am not very experienced with this kind of stuff.

What is everyone else's experience with the final closeout of their pool contract? I am pretty sure the builder is going to want his final check on Friday when he comes to test the water and do the "Pool School", but there are several issues that I have with the build of the project as a whole.

1. Seems like my entire pool ended up 3' narrower than the drawing. In the drawing the narrowest part of my pool was to be 13'3" and it is actually only 10'. The deepend that was supposed to swell out from the 13'3" does not have a dimension in the drawing, but I would guess it should be 15-16', it measures 12'. Tanning ledge was supposed to be 7' x 10' and have enough space for 2 Ledge Loungers, it is 4' x 10'.

2. Bubbler was supposed to be on the front edge of the tanning ledge, it is in the center. So now I can't even fit one Ledge Lounger

3. Spa light does not work, he says he will look at it on Friday.

4. Water level in my spa seems to be too high, it is about an inch below the coping and when you turn on the blower it floods the yard behind the spa.

5. Waterfall is leaking into the pool. (supposed to have tile guy look at it next week)

6. Control panel for my automation system is not installed, says it is on backorder.

7. The concrete crew knocked the stone facing off of my firepit and it is completely gone, I will have to try to match it and buy more.

8. Sprinkler system is still not repaired correctly, have broken sprinkler lines in the side yard.

9. The concrete crew wiped my white travertine coping down with water that had concrete mixed in during their "cleanup" and it is not white any more in several areas.

10. White coping has grey grout and concrete on it in several areas, not sure how I will be able to get that off.

11. Still don't have all of the fittings in the pool for suction and return lines

12. Steps seem to be way too tall, probably should have been three steps instead of two for the 3'6" depth.

13. I cannot have my pool in a pool only mode. The water either goes all to the spa or half to pool and half to spa, there is no way to run the pool without the waterfall. We will not always want the sound of the waterfall, and it will evaporate alot more water and I will have to constantly add acid to offset.

14. I upgraded to the automated system only for lights and water features, but cannot control water features individually even though that was the purpose of the $2800 upgrade. I can have only one on, or both on, or both off, but I cannot have the second feature on by itself like we planned. We will need to rework the plumbing and add another actuator to fix this, and I am not even sure if there is space to do that with the plumbing configuration.

15. My gas is not completely installed to the meter yet. (supposed to have plumber again today)

16. Plug is stuck in one of my skimmers that he couldn't get out. (supposed to have plumbers again today)

17. My automation is not configured correctly yet, the only thing I can control is pump speeds and lights. (will look at this on Friday)

18. No overflow line to the deck drains.(says it wasn't in the contract)

I am sure that there are other things that I will find the more I am around the pool and equipment, so this list will continue to grow. Given the nature of several of these problems and the fact that so much can't be fixed I am honestly of the opinion that at this point he owes me money, not the other way around. Has anyone else had a situation like this? Overall we are happy to have the pool and will enjoy it, but I feel like we were taken advantage of. My wife thinks we will end up paying him to go away and fixing all the issues that can be fixed ourselves.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Girija and Nikilyn

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.