New Construction Home - Orange County CA

IMO, if you haven't done so already what you should do is talk to some of the homeowners who have already built pools in RMV or are in the process of construction. Find out what they had to deal with regarding the Association and the county inspectors. Figure out what needs to be on the plans so it gets approved the first time and not a constant resubmittal to an overwhelmed association that will be swamped with requests like yours in the next 6-12 months. Also ask your RMV neighbors about pool contractors and landscape contractors. And expect higher prices due to demand and your zip code.

Reactions: pianogineer
Here is one of my idea. Size will depend on set backs and such. The light blue is a shelf, the green is 4' shallow area for play and fun, the white is the deep end (not sure how deep. we will talk about it in a bit).

This set up gives a long swim lane AND a good play area.

Notice the large yard area with this set up.

pool L.jpg

Note-Let me know what you like or do not like. If you don't like anything about it that is okay too! You can't hurt my feelings!

Here is one of my idea. Size will depend on set backs and such. The light blue is a shelf, the green is 4' shallow area for play and fun, the white is the deep end (not sure how deep. we will talk about it in a bit).

This set up gives a long swim lane AND a good play area.

Notice the large yard area with this set up.

View attachment 118589

Note-Let me know what you like or do not like. If you don't like anything about it that is okay too! You can't hurt my feelings!
I like @kimkats pool shape but I think it crams the pool up too close to the house. ... I think I would slide that shape into the corner (the blue line) so you have some space to put a patio off the Ranch Room... Grass on the other side of the pool... and some nice water features in the bend of that corner.. A modest little waterfall like this:
P1000582edit.jpg

What do you like? Not like? thoughts??

Depth-lets talk about that:
Shallow-No less than 3'5" as that is the lowest it can go and not scrapes knuckles on the bottom. I really like a 4' shallow as that allows for less slope to the deep end.
Deep-what do you want to be able to do here? Dive? Cannon Ball? Walk around? Think about this and let me know and we can go from there. That will also influence the design.

Wow thanks for your guys' ideas and enthusiasm!! Overall, definitely want a shelf. Also want a spa (maybe I didn't mention that!). Generally speaking, and maybe our thoughts will change on this, but were leaning towards a smaller sized pool.

Initially was thinking of pool in top left of lot, but seeing some of these ideas and reading more, starting to like the idea of the pool at the top right of the lot, right off the ranch room. Pros of this: Can more easily monitor kids swimming from the ranch room/house (eventually), can see the TV in the ranch room from the pool, and leaves tons of space to the side of the house for a future casita (setbacks allowing), while still leaving a big play yard.

Now, maybe the following idea is TOO small for the potential of the lot (and as everyone is noting is setback dependent), but here is a 30' x 15' idea with a 7.5' x 7.5' spa (red). Light blue shelf and green shallow end. I like this because it gives a small triangular deck above/to right with nice view, as well as a small/nice patio off the ranch room. Only concern is how close the pool can get to the corner pillar of the ranch room (as well as setback from the mow curb which is the property line, even though there's inside-the-fence slope behind it).

Maybe my thinking is too boring/inside-the-box though :D

Attachments

• Pool 1.jpg
    Pool 1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
Opps I did forgot about the spa. I would switch the spa and shelf. The spa there will block the view from and to the ranch room.

I think it does need to be there for the very reason you stated-views to and from the pool!

Now lets find out for sure about the set backs and rules so we can dial in the size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just heard back from my HOA that per the County of Orange, the water line of any pool/spa must be a minimum of 3 feet setback from property line, and that the HOA has no further setback requirements other than that. Of course I'll be confirming with the County (we're in an unincorporated area, so no city to deal with) but this seems very promising!!

Just heard back from my HOA that per the County of Orange, the water line of any pool/spa must be a minimum of 3 feet setback from property line, and that the HOA has no further setback requirements other than that. Of course I'll be confirming with the County (we're in an unincorporated area, so no city to deal with) but this seems very promising!!

That is accurate re: waterline must be 3' back from the line. Note also that the line is from the middle of the mow curb... I'm a future neighbor (RMV) of yours going through the process myself so that's why I know!

Definitely OB it and get bdavis to consult! I didn't think I would have the time so hired a PB and while I don't blame him for everything that has gone wrong with the project (at all), I think we'd be long since done by now with better quality at lower cost had he not been involved. FWIW, we are also a corner lot with a view...geometric pool, spa, yada, yada, yada. Be happy to do what I can to assist. If I can dig up some time I'll try to come up with some designs. If you are interested, PM me and I can share some details re: costs based on my project.

It is nice to have open/green space for the kiddos...but I'll remind you that we have ridiculously insane amenities here at the ranch. You'll love having your own pool because the public ones are closed all too frequently due to contamination, but the playgrounds, sports park, and all the various hangout areas and trails are phenomenal and you'll probably find yourself at those quite often. I'm assuming you are in the Northwalk area so you're probably real close to the new sports park and the "north walk" (the Backyard, the Hangout, the Garage, the zip line...)...not saying you won't want space in your yard, just suggesting you consider making the pool the centerpiece.

Oh...and are you planning to permit diving into the pool (not diving board, just from the deck)? You won't be able to get the depth for diving with the layout/size you are looking at -- it is hard to support diving safely unless you either eliminate/drastically reduce the shallow end.

Are you planning for an automated cover? ...it can put some restrictions on the shapes you'll want to consider.

Last edited:
Great to see a fellow RMV'er here! Will definitely PM you.

No plans for diving, but honestly hadn't considered it too much thus far. Read your other thread and think I share most of the sentiment there that "hanging out" in not-too-deep waters is the way to go.

As for cover, really will be interested in hearing more from you on that. Had kind of settled on a net, mainly for aesthetics. However, as I think more about heating and wanting nicely-warmed water all the time, think I'll need some sort of solar cover, and a net+bubble wrap seems like both a pain and unsightly. Just not sure how an automated cover will impact shape, spa and aesthetics yet.

Also definitely planning on taking up bdavis' consulting offer :)

Just curious, is the landscape slope and up or down slope? Although not an issue for setbacks, it may become a factor regarding soil/engineering being close to the edge of the slope if you're on the top. I'm a newbie, so others more experienced may be able to provide some feedback there.

Landscape is a downs slope. Haven't had a survey yet so not sure exactly what the grade is. But yes, builder has been relentless in reminding us that we may need some structural engineering for support. There's a home on the street above us in a similar slope situation who built a pool, so one day I'll knock on their door to see what they had to deal with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.