New Construction Guidance

Megarms

Dec 23, 2017
Eldersburg, MD
Sold my house with a fiberglass pool - swore I would never build another pool as we didn't use the last one enough. So, of course, I have interviewed three concrete pool builders and am trying to make a final decision on what to do.

Things have gotten A LOT more expensive over the past 5 years and while I have some experience with this sort of thing, I am looking for some guidance. I was hoping that there would be a sticky thread at the top somewhere that I could just read through and learn. It looks like things have changed at TFP since I last logged in. Any help finding a thread like I am referring to would be greatly appreciated.

Also, pay particular attention to contract details. Many builders are needing to add in language that covers cost increases on raw materials such that what you sign for may not be what you wind up paying. Concrete prices are all a over the map and sometimes change weekly. Smart builders are covering themselves by having the homeowner pay for any excess costs. Also, builders aren’t always specific about the equipment they quote which then lets them substitute brands if they can’t get them from suppliers. If you have a particular brand you want, like Pentair or Hayward, make sure you get that specified in writing with exact model numbers and “no substitutions”.

Things have gotten A LOT more expensive over the past 5 years
The pandemic increased demand for pools and supply chain issues caused prices on materials and equipment to spike. Pool builders have full order books and are pricing accordingly. But with a recession possible next year it might be prudent to delay your project a little for better deals as some customers might be cancelling their builds due to economic hardships.

The pandemic increased demand for pools and supply chain issues caused prices on materials and equipment to spike. Pool builders have full order books and are pricing accordingly. But with a recession possible next year it might be prudent to delay your project a little for better deals as some customers might be cancelling their builds due to economic hardships.
This is/was definitely a consideration. That said, inflation isn't going to be negative anytime soon. One of the pool builders I am working with has admitted that they are already down 30% from last year, however he does not see being able to cut too many costs out (other than profit margin) because the cost of labor/materials aren't likely to be cut much (if at all). That coupled with the fact that I have one daughter, who will be 12 years old at the end of this year. We only have 6 years until she is gone to college and giving one of those years up on the chance of saving a few thousand bucks probably just isn't worth it to me.

I am in to watch to see what you end up doing. Let us know what you decide! Oh and know you may end up being the "General Contractor" on your build except on days a check is due :roll: so make sure you can be there on big days to make sure it is done correctly.

After several weeks of going back and forth, I finally chose a pool builder and signed with him yesterday. I am currently in the process of deciding on a patio contractor and then will still need to put up a fence and have a plumber hook up my gas line (I can't believe 100' of gas line is $3100).

We have decided to add a spa and am now at the stage of deciding if it should be raised 18" or flush with the rest of the pool. I'm not having any luck looking into that here (I probably just don't know how to use the search function). Raised gets me a waterfall and flush allow the kids to swim in and out of the spa. Not sure what to do here.

I also want to learn more about automation because it is expensive ($10,000) as heck. Same thing for a few LED lights ($1000 each). The sales guy says I don't need those things and that hardly anyone buys them from him.

If you've signed a contract share what equipment was specified and we can offer an opinion. If you mean underwater LED lights I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone buys them unless for budgetary reasons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also want to learn more about automation because it is expensive ($10,000) as heck. Same thing for a few LED lights ($1000 each). The sales guy says I don't need those things and that hardly anyone buys them from him.

Yeah, no one buys them since the PBs prices are outrageous.

The highest end Pentair IntelliCenter Pool /Spa automation system costs $2,700.

I expect Pool Builder prices to be 2X internet prices. So maybe $5,000 - $6,000 for that IntelliCenter system. And there are less expensive automation systems from Pentair, Jandy, or Hayward depending on what equipment your PB uses.

And when putting in an automation Load Center the builder should net out the savings in electrical work it replaces. Your PB already has full electrical work priced into the job. The Load Center replaces that work and he is charging you duplicate for the electrical.

Pentair Microbrite LED color changing lights cost $400 each.

An incandescent Pentair Amerilite also costs about $400 each depending on wattage and cord length.

There is little incremental cost difference to your PB in installing an incandescent light or an LED light.

Your builder knows he will get more warranty calls on LED lights which fail sooner then incandescent lights and have priced the warranty work into the LED price.

Get a Pentair Amerilite and then replace the bulb with an LED bulb.

It sounds like your builder has priced high support items so that he does not need to deal with them. IT may be good for him but not good for his customers.

We have decided to add a spa and am now at the stage of deciding if it should be raised 18" or flush with the rest of the pool.
Ours is flush, and I love it. The only downside I've hit is that if the water level is not quite right, you can get cold pool water splashing back on you.
Here's a (not so great) photo of ours:
pool.jpeg
I also want to learn more about automation because it is expensive ($10,000) as heck. Same thing for a few LED lights ($1000 each).
Yea, pool equipment is stupid expensive for what you get out of it. But I can't imagine not having it. The convenience almost outweighs the cost. If I was able to fully support a home-brew system, I would, but I travel too much for that.

Attachments

• pool.jpeg
    pool.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 8
If I had to do it over again, I would trade the spa for more pool area. If I had to do it over again I would not get a raised spa.

Sadly there are no “do overs” with pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.