New Cleaner

spthomas

Mar 24, 2014
Lewisville, TX
Well, I think my cleaner is pretty shot. It still works, but the hose and fittings are disintegrating. I don't know if being frozen in the pool for a week or just age is getting to it, but the hose has many leaks and the swivels disintegrate when you handle them.

My question for the group is this. I can pay $600 or so for a new Polaris 360 cleaner like the one I have. Or, I can pay about $225 or so for a new hose, backup valve, and wall fitting. And the cleaner is almost 10 years old and the top is broken off already. So I'm thinking a new cleaner is a better investment. Any recommendations? I've always had Polaris 360s, but if there's something cheaper/better/easier etc, I'm ok with that too.

Steve

Get a robot cleaner

Your Polaris 360 does not have a booster pump and that limits use of any other good pressure side cleaner.

The only pressure side cleaner I recommend is the Polaris Quattro Sport that requires a booster pump.

So get a robot cleaner or a new 360..

I was using a Polaris 280. It would take 2-3 hours a day for cleaning. The pressure side pump uses 1488 kW to run, or about 4.5kWha day. Last year, I bought a Pool Robot. The pool is cleaner (better filtration in the robot), it cleans the sides to the water line (less brushing) and it uses 200 Watts, or about 0.4kWh per day. 10% of the power consumption, better and more cleaning.

The Least expensive Maytronics Robot is about $600.

Reactions: wireform
Got my Pentair Warrior SE last year for about $600 and haven't looked back! It scrubs tile line and
walls and does an outstanding job cleaning the pool. I had a pressure side Jandy Ray-Vac for 12 years. Difference in cleaning is crazy. Kinda like picking up stuff off your carpet by hand vs. using a Dyson!

Call Margaret at Marina Pool Spa & Patio 303-985-0077. She really knows her stuff
and can help you find the best solution for your pool. Prices and customer service are both excellent.
Many TFP-ers have purchased from them.

Reactions: sham and wireform
I am also considering the robot cleaner to replace ours that runs on booster pump. Do you have to take it out of the pool and put it back in? Does it eliminate the need for brushing the pool? Do you run it everyday? We don't have much debris or leaves in our pool. Thanks!!

You don't have to take it out of the pool. On the Maytronics, the units are 24VDC, so quite safe. The manufacturer recommends not swimming with it in the pool, for safety. On brushing, you need to look at the specific models. Most brush to the waterline. But again, look at the specific models. The higher end models are Bluetooth/WiFi, allow (some) steering and multiple cleaning modes (full clean or just a quick bottom clean). I went with one that is somewhat higher end, 2 cleaning modes and WiFi. I prefer the ones with a large basket as opposed to a couple of cleaning plates.

Last edited:
Reactions: imrodee and sham

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.