New Build - Upgrade Equipment or no?

Whitesmoke

Aug 20, 2022
Dallas
We are mid-way build, and we have an opportunity to upgrade some equipment due to PB’s major delay. This is our current equipment installed, but not sure if we should upgrade/add anything if given the chance - will likely have about 3-4K extra. Would love your suggestions!

Our pool will be 12.5K gal, pool/spa combo. What is currently installed:

- Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter
- intelliflo i1 vsf (011059)
- intelliflo3 vsf (011076)
- silencer air blower 1.5hp Air Supply (1-6315241)
- ic40
- pentair water pool and spa valves
- pentair inline chlorinator
- max e-therm 400
- jandy spa small white led
- pentair led white lights x2
- easy touch 8 + screen logic

All of that equipment - cartridge filter, VSF pumps, IC40 SWCG, and ET 8 is great. If it is all working, I see no reason to change it.
You do not need a inline chlorinator, but I would not remove it unless you were doing other plumbing work. I assume you use liquid chlorine in winter when SWCG is turned off.

Reactions: Whitesmoke
Is equipment already installed or is your list what was planned?

- Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter
This is good, but the 520 is even better (more efficient and less time between cleanings).

- intelliflo i1 vsf (011059)
- intelliflo3 vsf (011076)
Is there a purpose for two pumps? The 011076 has the I/O board, which you wouldn't need with automation. The 011075 is the IntelliFlo3 without the I/O board.

This is great. If you can find an IC60, that would give you even longer service life for just a little more cost.

- pentair inline chlorinator
No need for this. You have an excellent SWG.

- jandy spa small white led
- pentair led white lights x2
Why are you mixing brands? What models? For Pentair, you want MicroBrite lights.

- easy touch 8 + screen logic
Upgrade to IntelliCenter.

Is equipment already installed or is your list what was planned?

This is good, but the 520 is even better (more efficient and less time between cleanings).

Is there a purpose for two pumps? The 011076 has the I/O board, which you wouldn't need with automation. The 011075 is the IntelliFlo3 without the I/O board.

This is great. If you can find an IC60, that would give you even longer service life for just a little more cost.

No need for this. You have an excellent SWG.

Why are you mixing brands? What models? For Pentair, you want MicroBrite lights.

Upgrade to IntelliCenter.
Equipment is already installed. Two pumps because one is for water features (three sheer descents).

Was able to get PB to switch to saltwater hence why chlorinator was already there.

Not wanting to mix brands on lights, I just checked and saw that they switched it because of voltage requirements… I plan to get them to swap them all out since they have been sitting in water exposed…. (The delay is because of electrical lines needing to be relocated). You suggest Microbrite because of color?

Reactions: pjt
I would have them upgrade to all pentair microbrite color lights. We were supposed to get clear and ended up with color by accident. It was a nice upgrade we didn't pay for and the kids love it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By the way, these electricals should not be exposed like this in the water, right? This is one of the lights (all lights are exposed) they left. More reason for them to replace?44E54588-7478-49C6-8D60-2F7E01CF02FD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you, all! If you can spend the 3-4k on other items, what else would you get other than microbrites? Robot?
There are little things that could help such as
A spotlight by equipment pad to see at night
A cover or a fence around your equipment pad to hide from view or to keep UV or weather from being directly onto the equipment
Do you have proper drainage away from the equipment pad or decking
New lounge chairs
Better landscaping
Robot - don't get the most expensive - some basic units are just as good at cleaning - you do not need all the bells and whistles for remote control, wifi, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.