New build, slimy walls

ratherbgolfing

Apr 1, 2021
Pa
Well this forum had been very helpful to me the past couple of weeks. I'm a weekend warrior installing a15x26 above ground pool. This whole project has been an issue for the past 5 weeks. I had problems every step of the way. I've gutted my house and rebuilt everything from the inside out and fairly good at anything construction but this is just kicking my butt. Anyway, I put my liner in 10 days ago and filled it up 90% of the way. I was planning on my filter being installed in a few days, but life got in the way and won't have it up and running for another day or two. Tonight I noticed a film on top and the walls felt slimy. I haven't added anything to it at all. I'm assuming this is the start of algae? Would putting shock in it help at all? I do have SWG that is being hooked up with the filter. Not sure if that makes a difference. Any suggestions?

If the water is left for more than a few day, algae can take hold. When you can, add 30 ppm CYA and follow the SLAM Process. Once you complete that, you can add more CYA and start your SWCG system.

Add 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine a day and brush while waiting for your test kit. You'll likely lose it without CYA so add 30ppm of that in a sock and hang it over the side (not touching the liner) in front of a return. That wll help it dissolve faster.
Take a look at the PoolMath app or old web version (found at bottom of page on computer view) and play around with it. It tells you exactly how much granular CYA = 30ppm.

Add more CYA to bring level to 70ppm when ready to start salt additions or a day or so ahead.
When you add salt to the pool= make sure the entire SWG device is powered off. Let the salt dissolve a day while you mix it around and in. Next day you can turn the "brain" on and schedule it. Start at 50% and tweak it up/down as testing shows.

Add 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine a day and brush while waiting for your test kit. You'll likely lose it without CYA so add 30ppm of that in a sock and hang it over the side (not touching the liner) in front of a return. That wll help it dissolve faster.
Take a look at the PoolMath app or old web version (found at bottom of page on computer view) and play around with it. It tells you exactly how much granular CYA = 30ppm.

Add more CYA to bring level to 70ppm when ready to start salt additions or a day or so ahead.
When you add salt to the pool= make sure the entire SWG device is powered off. Let the salt dissolve a day while you mix it around and in. Next day you can turn the "brain" on and schedule it. Start at 50% and tweak it up/down as testing shows.
What test kit should I get?

Yup, that will work. It has smaller amount of reagents so you may have to re-order the FAS-DPD test reagents in a short while but that's easy to do.
Did you get a magnetic speed stir? I went a few years without one and once I treated myself to one I wondered what I was waiting for? It makes testing faster and easier as it does the "hand twirling" of the vials as you add the drops.

Maddie :flower:

Yup, that will work. It has smaller amount of reagents so you may have to re-order the FAS-DPD test reagents in a short while but that's easy to do.
Did you get a magnetic speed stir? I went a few years without one and once I treated myself to one I wondered what I was waiting for? It makes testing faster and easier as it does the "hand twirling" of the vials as you add the drops.

Maddie :flower:
I didn't get one of those. Might have to order one

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.