Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I would really appreciate help with plumbing setup, especially what valves I need. I will have:
1 VSF pump, cartridge filter, salt cell, gas heater, 4 deck jets and 1 slide.
2 skimmers, 3 returns and 2 main drains.
I have been researching trying to determine how many diverter, ball, and check valves I need to buy?? I do not want to cut corners on plumbing design. I want to include waste line for cartridge filter and bypass for heater.
You can see what I have come up with so far in image below. Here are areas I need input on:
  • I have 2 main drains (only 1 is in my drawing) - do I need to have a valve to be able to turn off each main drain line?
  • I didn't know how to include the slide feature. Do I need to have a separate valve for that?
  • I have 3 returns and the drawing only shows 2. I am not sure if I need to be able to turn off each return line separately?

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  • I have 2 main drains (only 1 is in my drawing) - do I need to have a valve to be able to turn off each main drain line?

I doubt you have 2 main drains. Usually you have two drain heads spaced apart that T into one main drain line. That makes the drain VGBA compliant.

• I didn't know how to include the slide feature. Do I need to have a separate valve for that?

Yes.

What is the GPM requirement for the slide?

• I have 3 returns and the drawing only shows 2. I am not sure if I need to be able to turn off each return line separately?

You will need to be able to close each return line when you winterize your pool.

Consider how your pool will be winterized when designing the plumbing and valves.

Why are you figuring this out and not your builder or plumber?

Reactions: mmesqc1578
Thanks for your reply! Yes you are correct about the two drain heads, thanks for clarifying that. The GPM requirement for slide is flow rate up to 20 GPM. I just want to double check my installer and make sure we are not taking any shortcuts. How do I squeeze in that additional valve for my slide? How do I squeeze in that 3rd return line with valve? I also purchased some 2-way diverter valves but not sure I will need to make use of those......Appreciate the help!
I doubt you have 2 main drains. Usually you have two drain heads spaced apart that T into one main drain line. That makes the drain VGBA compliant.

Yes.

What is the GPM requirement for the slide?

You will need to be able to close each return line when you winterize your pool.

Consider how your pool will be winterized when designing the plumbing and valves.

Why are you figuring this out and not your builder or plumber?

Thanks for your reply! Yes you are correct about the two drain heads, thanks for clarifying that. The GPM requirement for slide is flow rate up to 20 GPM. I just want to double check my installer and make sure we are not taking any shortcuts. How do I squeeze in that additional valve for my slide? How do I squeeze in that 3rd return line with valve? I also purchased some 2-way diverter valves but not sure I will need to make use of those......Appreciate the help!

I don't understand what you mean by squeezing in. The slide should be another line among your return lines.

Rather then use 3 way valves on your return lines you will have better control if you gang all the return lines together and put a 2 way valve on each return line including the slide. Then you have individual valve control on the flow for each return line.

Do you have a spa? What are the jets line versus the return lines?

Have you considered having a separate pump and circulation system for the slide? That way you have that independent of your normal pool circulation. It would require another suction drain (can be mounted to side of pool) and flow directly back to slide without a filter.
So your main circulation would be the suction from the main drain and the 2 skimmers as you have shown with flow through the filter and heater and then to either the pool returns or the 3 deck jets - all with independent valves for better control.

I don't understand what you mean by squeezing in. The slide should be another line among your return lines.

Rather then use 3 way valves on your return lines you will have better control if you gang all the return lines together and put a 2 way valve on each return line including the slide. Then you have individual valve control on the flow for each return line.

Do you have a spa? What are the jets line versus the return lines?
Please see my new sketch below that includes a line for slide and 3 separate return lines. 3-way diverter valves are in blue color. To incorporate the 3 separate return lines, I used a cross tee PVC fitting - could this pose any issue with flow etc or is this commonly used in pool plumbing? The "jets" line is for the 4 pool deck jets. Is the 3-way valve between the "slide" and "jets' not sufficient? No spa.

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 16
Have you considered having a separate pump and circulation system for the slide? That way you have that independent of your normal pool circulation. It would require another suction drain (can be mounted to side of pool) and flow directly back to slide without a filter.
So your main circulation would be the suction from the main drain and the 2 skimmers as you have shown with flow through the filter and heater and then to either the pool returns or the 3 deck jets - all with independent valves for better control.
Thanks for suggesting this. I haven't considered it as I am hoping that the pump I purchased is powerful enough to not have to get a 2nd pump.

Do you intend any automation to control some of the valves? Like turning the deck jets on or the slide?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.