New Build - Pearland (S. Houston)

That is not that bad at all. I have seen a LOT worse. You have the correct attitude and it will be taken care of. I REALLY like they say they may take some rebar out. That will make sure they can get to where they need to.

So after a busy week of rebuilding, we finally have gunite! They wound up having to remove about 3/4 of the rebar so that they could re-excavate. The soil was still so wet that they had issues with the walls continuing to collapse, so once they got it dug out enough, they came and flashed it (something that, in hindsight, may have been more appropriate last week before the rains). With everything flashed, they were able to get the rebar and stub plumbing re-done and we got the gunite on Thursday. We had light showers all day yesterday so that took care of my watering for the day. I just wrapped up my watering for the morning today and will try to get it watered 2-3 times a day.

So glad to get to this stage. I know we still have a ways to go, but the last week or so was pretty nerve racking.

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_072026-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_072026-2.jpg
    704.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190928_072046-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_072046-2.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190928_072115-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_072115-2.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190927_072501-2.jpg
    IMG_20190927_072501-2.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20190928_071951-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_071951-2.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20190928_071959-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_071959-2.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20190928_072141-2.jpg
    IMG_20190928_072141-2.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 66
So after a busy week of rebuilding, we finally have gunite! They wound up having to remove about 3/4 of the rebar so that they could re-excavate. The soil was still so wet that they had issues with the walls continuing to collapse, so once they got it dug out enough, they came and flashed it (something that, in hindsight, may have been more appropriate last week before the rains). With everything flashed, they were able to get the rebar and stub plumbing re-done and we got the gunite on Thursday. We had light showers all day yesterday so that took care of my watering for the day. I just wrapped up my watering for the morning today and will try to get it watered 2-3 times a day.

So glad to get to this stage. I know we still have a ways to go, but the last week or so was pretty nerve racking.

Uggghh.. That's a lot of work.. I know how stressful that can be... Did they mention how they wanted to handle the cost of all that?

I just copied this from another thread I replied to:
I live here in Sugarland and would rather saw my foot off than not have an SWG. Trust me after putting in Liquid Chlorine EVERY DAY in your first 5 months you’ll wish u had one. I told my pool builder either put it in or i’ll Find somebody else. People that don’t follow TFP think an SWG is strictly about the feel of the water. It is but it’s mainly about the ease of chlorine maintenance. Also I haven’t seen a SPECK of discoloration on my travertine decking either. It’s all smoke and mirrors by the pool builders.
Also I’d highly consider a Chiller. Water down here can easily hit 90+ degrees. Like swimming in a big bath tub...

No extra cost to us. They had mentioned before we signed that that contract price covered everything in the design plans outside of damages to utilities.
That's good to know.. Not sure how they can not pay for marked utilities that they damaged? I would hope it reads more like "not responsible for damage to any unmarked utilities"

Regarding asking your PB about SWG or the silly Ozone/Mineral issue...... Pool Builders *Build* pools! They usually know squat about chemistry and upkeep. They leave pool jobs with sparkling new walls and water and don't see the potential problems that develop down the road.

Go with the SWG. You'll thank us later.

Maddie :flower:

That's good to know.. Not sure how they can not pay for marked utilities that they damaged? I would hope it reads more like "not responsible for damage to any unmarked utilities"
Sorry, I had that wrong. Before we signed a contract we hadn't had the utilities marked yet, so they were unsure if they would need to be moved. So when we were going over what the contract price covered, they said it covered everything except having to relocate utilities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Regarding asking your PB about SWG or the silly Ozone/Mineral issue...... Pool Builders *Build* pools! They usually know squat about chemistry and upkeep. They leave pool jobs with sparkling new walls and water and don't see the potential problems that develop down the road.

Go with the SWG. You'll thank us later.

I definitely appreciate the comments about SWG.

I gave it a lot of thought both researching and talking to friends that have had SWG in the past or that currently use SWG, as well as friends that we know in the pool maintenance business both here in Houston and other S. Texas areas. It has pretty much come down to the point that had we not had considerable moss rock water features, then we'd be 100% in on SWG. When I asked both of my friends in the pool maintenance business they echoed the same concerns that two of the PBs raised with SWG and the moss rock. Also, our PB said he would put what ever system we want, and they have installed several SWG for their clients, they just recommended against it given the particular rock water features we would have.

I'll agree that issues with SWG and rock/stone are likely due to either poor maintenance and chemistry regimen, or poor stone quality to begin with, but in talking to about a dozen or so neighbors and friends with pools, some with SWG, and some who had experienced both SWG and traditional chlorine, I just wasn't convinced to overlook the possibilities of issues with the moss rock. Also, my previous pool was chlorine and didn't really struggle or feel it was overwhelming to keep a clean pool. Maybe somewhere down the road we'll consider the switch, but I think for now, we are fine foregoing the SWG.

As for the mineral and ozone systems, they were included at no cost. I don't intend to use the mineral cartridges and I won't rely on claims of being able to reduce chemical levels with the ozone. I'm planning to run normal chemical levels, and if the ozone helps then great, but if it doesn't then oh well I'll just run it until it dies, with no plan to replace it at that time.

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Reactions: kimkats
Just a quick comment that is perhaps a partial hi-jack. I have read 3-4 times of builders including ozone "at no cost". What is the point? Businesses do not provide materials and labor "at no cost" unless there is some incentive.

I am curious why builders "throw ozone in".......I think you are paying exactly what it is worth.

I would never put something in a new pool that served no purpose.

Just a quick comment that is perhaps a partial hi-jack. I have read 3-4 times of builders including ozone "at no cost". What is the point? Businesses do not provide materials and labor "at no cost" unless there is some incentive.

I am curious why builders "throw ozone in".......I think you are paying exactly what it is worth.

They most likely have a couple of standard packages of their most common builds. So if you stay within their normal specs it’s paid for upfront but claimed to be at no (extra) cost. Nothing is ever free. And if they follow the standard 100% markup on dealer price, it’s easy profit for them on an inexperienced buyer.

Last edited:

You're right, I'm sure I'm paying for it indirectly through their normal markup. I would guess that most PBs work in all sorts of potential expenses through their normal markup, I mean how else would they be able to cover the additional expenses such as the added excavation and rebar on our build thus far. Throwing it in as a "freebie" though means I don't get anything off the price if I ask them not to install it. Being that I've already "paid" for it, and if it doesn't require any extra effort on my end to run it, I figure I'll give it a go so long as it doesn't negatively impact the water or pool equipment.

Actually, doesn't ozone chew up a bit chlorine in the pool also?
...... so perhaps its a guarantee for those builders who also have pool stores of more chlorine sales on the whole. Put 'em in enough pools and you sell a few more pucks each year. :laughblue:

And when paired with the usual frog system they get you for $750 a year on replacement packs. Ozone and minerals sounds so cool. !!

And when paired with the usual frog system they get you for $750 a year on replacement packs. Ozone and minerals sounds so cool. !!
Exactly. The equipment is 'free' because the replacements parts are very expensive.

Quick update from the past week and a half. Last week we the plumbers were out to run all the plumbing and gas lines, and install most of the equipment. Today we had electricians show up to start the electrical work and install the automation equipment. Should be on track for inspection later this week and then tile and stone work to follow once the inspection is done.

Attachments

• IMG_20191004_080712aa.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080712aa.jpg
    813 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20191004_080851a.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080851a.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20191004_080825a.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080825a.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20191004_080737a.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080737a.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20191004_080811a.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080811a.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20191004_080753a.jpg
    IMG_20191004_080753a.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20191001_192522a.jpg
    IMG_20191001_192522a.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20191001_192627a.jpg
    IMG_20191001_192627a.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 43
Also, we picked out our tile, coping and cool deck colors. For the coping, we went with a travertine stone called Escobesa, from Keystone tile, which we think will pair well with the Texas choclolate moss rock that will go into our waterfall/jumping ledge. For all of the raised wall facing we went with the same Escobesa in a 2"x4" split-faced mosaic tile. On the waterline, we chose a 1"x2" tile called typhoon samoa, from Master Tile, and the same but in 1"x1" for the spa, bar stools, and steppers on all the benches and tanning ledge.

As far as all of the remaining decking, we are going with a cool deck coating from Sundek. We chose a few sets of colors (kahlua base, terra cotta, pewter grey, and tweed grey) that our PB was going to send to the cool decking company to make a few samples with. They will be doing score lines with 2 color speckling over the kahlua base to mimic an aggregate effect. I'll try to post pictures of the samples once we get those in.

Attachments

• Escabesa Travertine Coping.png
    Escabesa Travertine Coping.png
    250 KB · Views: 7
  • Escabesa Splitface 2x4.png
    Escabesa Splitface 2x4.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Escabesa Travertine Pavers.png
    Escabesa Travertine Pavers.png
    653.8 KB · Views: 5
  • masty182.jpg
    masty182.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 7
  • masty582.jpg
    masty582.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 12
  • sundek-signature-colors-792x1024.png
    sundek-signature-colors-792x1024.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Love
Reactions: RuralTexas

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.