New Build - Need Opinions, Will Update

Gillesp

Aug 29, 2022
West Virginia
First, let me thank this site and its membership for such an invaluable resource. I've learned an incredible amount just browsing. When almost every site online offering "advice" is a builder or a manufacturer with some sort of bias, getting accurate information from professionals and pool owners here has been extremely helpful. We appreciate you all.

Even after dozens of hours and research and several quotes, I'm amazed by the amount of contradictory information out there about different aspects of pools. So I'm hoping to get some feedback from the community. Using that, we'll get this thing rolling and I'll keep you all updated through the build.

Background: We have space for a medium to large in-ground pool in WV and want to keep the budget under 100k. We prefer to go with saltwater. We have pool maintenance experience but mostly from before fiberglass was big. The install would be in spring.

Concerns: Choosing between gunite and fiberglass has been difficult, as has differentiating between fiberglass manufacturers. Does salt really wear concrete faster and/or stain it? I've seen folks argue both ways but I know some companies will say anything to push what they sell. Vinyl is less of an option due to dogs.

Assuming fiberglass handles saltwater the best, what manufacturers are producing quality shells? We have quotes from Latham and Thursday but San Juan, Leisure, and others are also available.

I had almost settled on Thursday before stumbling on a thread here saying the company is quietly suggesting people not use salt water anymore. Anyone have any more info on that? Misinformation maybe?

What manufacturers have you all had success or issues with? I know the builder is a major piece and the most reputable in the area sells Thursday, Latham and Leisure if I remember correctly.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the Thursday beach entry options? They're interesting but I can't find many reviews from actual owners. I know they require the backfill eliminator.

I'm open to any suggestions or hints for choosing a material and manufacturer/builder. Any time you spend helping will be extremely appreciated. This is a big project for us and a reward for my wife, a traveling ED nurse, for getting through the pandemic.

Many thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I'm sure some of the more seasoned experts will weigh in, but my understanding is the best way to ensure a long landing surface, whether it be fiberglass or gunite is properly balanced water, which is what this site can help you with! I have a gunite pool with SWG and have been following the TFP way since the beginning (this is my second summer since the pool was built). My pebble sheen is as good as it was when first applied and I've never had algae (I feel like I'm tempting fate typing that). As for different features like beach entry, a gunite pool and be built to whatever shape you want :) Good luck with your decision making.

Reactions: newbie919
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.