New Build in Western Massachusetts

Apr 26, 2017
Longmeadow MA
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and just began a new pool build. This is all happening very quickly. I spent a few weeks getting quotes and chose a pool builder on Wednesday of last week and gave a deposit. I was told to expect 2-3 weeks for permit approval by my town and then a few weeks before digging would begin. My permit was surprisingly signed off on two days later on Friday and my PB had equipment and crew available to start excavation on Monday. So digging and formation is now complete and the steel walls are being assembled today as well as electrical. I hope this will be fun and informative for you and a helpful forum for me should I need advice.

April 24, 2017: Initial Sales Pitch

33594327464_b67dbbbbb9_z.jpg

34394825356_b4c4a5145f_z.jpg

The salesperson brought out a tarp to help me visualize the size. I originally asked for a 16x32 pool which is the size you see here. It seemed too small to me.

May 1, 2017: The Dig

34277039602_2698620137_c.jpg

33594594664_bb1bf7b56c_c.jpg

33594594704_b1fa641d47_c.jpg

An excavator arrived early in the morning. They used it to remove the deck and dig a big ol' hole. They even used it to move a tree for me (one of my favorites) but ended up really roughing the poor thing up. Hope it survives.

May 2, 2017:

33594594774_9b1648d593_c.jpg

This is what we have after the excavation phase.

Is there a retaining wall or some sort of berm planned to deal with runoff from that garden area or maybe the picture makes it look more sloped than it actually is. Looking forward to seeing your pool progress.

Salty

Hi Salty,
It's a very mild slope, but it does slope. Do you think it might pose an issue? The PB made no mention of a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the "sales pitch" tarp. That is very good way to help someone "see" the pool!

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim,
The tarp was great. It made me realize 16x32 was smaller than i pictured in my mind.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
May 2, 2017:

33594594774_9b1648d593_c.jpg

This is what we have after the excavation phase.

Hi Salty,
It's a very mild slope, but it does slope. Do you think it might pose an issue? The PB made no mention of a concern.

- - - Updated - - -

I would at least ask your PB, I'm no expert but if you do get any heavy rainstorms it could be a concern. Perhaps some of the more seasoned veterans will chime in.

Salty

If concrete on the slope side of the pool you can easily have a channel drain added, drain to the side and exit via a pop-up. See ndspro.com for what options they have. There are a few very slim drains that would blend in, especially on the far side of the pool.

Thanks to all the input about the slope. I will consult with the PB. BTW, we have very sandy soil that drains very quickly here. There has never been puddling of any kind on my back lawn even after heavy rain so we may be inherently less prone to the situation you've all mentioned.

How exciting! FUN and scary! It is going fast!

You know your yard and conditions. Use your knowledge about how our yard does, with us in the back of your mind being worried about rain runoff into your pool.

Kim:kim:

May 4, 2017: Pouring the Floor

33613024394_45d5c6113a_b.jpg

34455169775_0c948027d6_b.jpg

34455169905_1d7f429d60_b.jpg

Day 4 and the floor is going in. Guess it's going to take some time because the crew is supposed to be here until 9 pm. Tomorrow it's going to rain all day so it will be an off-day. The rain makes me nervous but I am informed that they will tarp the pool and there won't be any problems.

I like how they are making the slope with the boards. Should be very consistent that way! YOu can bet they will do everything in their power to keep their hard work from being undone!

Kim:Kim:
That's they way they, Juliano's, did mine 11 years ago. Good PB, you will be very happy with the results.

DSCF3726.jpg

I like how they are making the slope with the boards. Should be very consistent that way! YOu can bet they will do everything in their power to keep their hard work from being undone!

Kim:Kim:

Yes, that was part of the sales pitch, claiming it would make a smooth and precise floor.

- - - Updated - - -

That's they way they, Juliano's, did mine 11 years ago. Good PB, you will be very happy with the results.

laprjns,
Glad to hear you are happy with your results from over a decade ago. Aside from being expensive (or perhaps because of it), things have been going well... and very quickly. One question, I just read that the vinyl liner is supposed to be backed with foam. What exactly is that? Also, could you post a picture of your finished pool? Thanks!
Sebastian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.