New Build in West Houston Area - PB

Backyard_Lap_Pool

Silver Supporter
Jun 16, 2016
Texas
Pool Size
I've been reading through countless threads in this forum for a couple years, joining the forum almost a year ago to post a few questions. This site has been great and has helped me sort through what we want and do not want on our dream pool. It has also been entertaining to watch everyone's pool builds over the years. I will try do my part and post lots of pictures and updates of the progress on our pool so others can enjoy and learn from our experience.

So Here We Go!

Short Background story:
My wife and I met on our high school swim team and got married shortly there-after.
After 15 years of talking about a pool and 12 years playing with different designs / saving up our pennies - we are FINALLY beginning our "Back Yard Lap Pool" - (in about 6 hours to be precise).

(I just sent in a supporter donation so hopefully I will be able to start posting pictures before too long once my account gets configured.)

General Specs on the Pool:
Length: 82 Ft. (25 M)
Width: Between 18.5 Ft. and 33.5 Ft.
Depth: Between 1 Ft. 8 In. and 10 Ft.
Volume: ~85K Gal.

Features
  • Sunken Seating Area
  • Pavillion
  • Hot Tub
  • Baja Shelf
  • 2 Swimming Lanes
  • Back Wall Bench
  • (2) 36" Sheer Descents on Raised Wall

Equipment:
2 x Pentair Intelliflo VS Pumps
2 x Pentair Quad DE 100 Filters
2 x Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU Cupro-Nickel Heaters
1 x Pentair Intelliflo XF Booster Pump (Spa)
1 x QT 2HP Blower (Spa)
1 x Pentair Intellitouch i10+3D
1 x Pentair Mobile-touch Wireless Control
1 x Pentair Screen Logic 2 Wireless Interface
2 x Pentair Valve Actuators
1 x Pentair Intellivalve Actuator

4 x Color Match Superflo 360 Driains
1 x Paramount ParaLevel Auto-Fill
4 x Paramount Venturi Skimmers
7 x Paramount 6" ParaGlo P-Type Color LED Lights

That's it for now. Pictures to follow. Gotta catch some sleep before the excavators are knocking on the door.

-Backyard_Lap_Pool

Last edited:
81c682e70862e2ad849e34182a043dcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BYLP,

Wow!!! I assume that you plan to rent it out to the Olympics next time they are in town... :p

That is a huge pool!!! I am interested in how you plan to chlorinate your water?

Do you plan to use some commercial system or ?????

Is 82' some standard length for completive lap swimming?

Thanks,

Jim R.

From the interwebs somewhere...

"There's no single "correct" length for a lap pool. You just need enough space to get a good stroke going on each lap without having to do too many turns. Pools used for competitions are typically 25 meters, or about 82 feet. (Some are 50 meters, or 164 feet.)"

A lot of great elements going on there. And with the size, they aren't all smooshed together.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a huge pool and great that it will be lap size. One question, why 25 meters instead of 25 yards? 25 yards would save a little $$$ and still qualifies as a lap pool. Just curious.

- - - Updated - - -

Is 82' some standard length for completive lap swimming?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Most American competition pools are 25 yards in length. Olympic sized pools are 50 meters in length. Most international competitions are typically in either 50 meter or 25 meter pools. Some US pools are 25 meters, but most US competitions are in 25 yard pools or 50 meter pools with bulkheads dividing the lanes into 25 yards.

"That is a huge pool and great that it will be lap size. One question, why 25 meters instead of 25 yards? "

Just like counting in meters I guess. 1600-ish for a mile, 3,800 for Ironman swim. Easier to count for me I guess...

BBB - likely with some stenner pumps and tanks. Boric Acid, (DudaDiesel) 12% Bleach and Baking soda.

BYLP,

Sounds like a great plan to me...!!!

Do you plan on bringing in bleach by the tanker load, or is there a pipeline in the planning... :p

Thanks for the update. You have got all of us here at TFP on the edge of our seat with interest..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.