Sep 11, 2021
North Texas
First time post. We are in the stage of submitting permits followed by the pre dig meeting. We can make changes before the excavation without change fees.
Would you mind to take a look and see if there is something that we should consider changing or improving?

Attachments

• Pool 3D Photos.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • Pool Proposal.PNG
    Pool Proposal.PNG
    212.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new project. You might ask about that Powerclean feeder. Looks to be a fancy tab feeder, and tabs never work well over the season as they drive-up your CYA level until someone tells you to replace water. A Salt Water Generator (SWG) would be much better to generate chlorine. Your builder may have a heat attack if you ask about it. For some reason many builders think SWGs are the destruction of mankind, but they sure make pool life easy. As a reminder, all pools have salt in them. Pools with SWGs just require a little more. Worth asking.

LOVE the design!!!!

I could not find the depths. Very important info to know. Include shelf depth as well. Make sure when you do talk about depths you and the PB are talking about WATER depth. That is from the floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Some use floor to the coping as the depth. You lose many inches of water depth that way.

Make sure they use GOOD valves (can be rebuilt) and unions to make it easier down the road to work on the equipment. Make sure the equipment pad is big enough to not have to play twister when you need to be on it. Make sure there is a light by the equipment pad as well. It can be a solar light you buy on your own if you want.

I would love to see a pic of where this pool is going!

Kim:kim:

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new project. You might ask about that Powerclean feeder. Looks to be a fancy tab feeder, and tabs never work well over the season as they drive-up your CYA level until someone tells you to replace water. A Salt Water Generator (SWG) would be much better to generate chlorine. Your builder may have a heat attack if you ask about it. For some reason many builders think SWGs are the destruction of mankind, but they sure make pool life easy. As a reminder, all pools have salt in them. Pools with SWGs just require a little more. Worth asking.

Thanks for the information. Yes. I think it is a tab feeder. I was planning on using liquid chlorine and then tabs only on vacations or middle of summer, but not opposed entirely to a SWCG. I had heard that the SWCG might cause damage to the natural limestone rocks, but I am not sure.

Do you have kids or kid like adults like my husband :roll: ?
If so I worry about the depth being 3.5 at the grotto as I KNOW someone (my husband) will jump off the top of the grotto! Just something to think about.

Do you have kids or kid like adults like my husband :roll: ?
If so I worry about the depth being 3.5 at the grotto as I KNOW someone (my husband) will jump off the top of the grotto! Just something to think about.

It is 6’ outside the grotto, so if one would jump off and not recommended, it would be 6’ of water that they would land in. The 3.5’ is inside the grotto.

Reactions: kimkats
Definitely want to look at more than 2 lights for a pool that size... since you are using nicheless lights they are smaller and don't put off the same light as full size. Jandy has a good lighting guide https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/sl/sl4572.pdf...

Also spa is 8x8 does 6 jets make sense for that? I don't know just a thought that came to mind...

On your design, I would consider "toe tile" along the tanning ledge and bench so that they will be easily visible to people jumping in from the house side of the decking. What is the view from the inside of the house? Seems like the grotto may not be that visible down on the end.

On the quote:
- another recommendation for saltwater
- what is the tempered safety glass required by code? maybe new windows?
- I would skip the Polaris 3900 and get a better robotic cleaner, either through the PB or ideally purchased separately
- Do you really want them caring for your pool for 3 months? Most people on this site take care of their own pools, and cannot wait to kick the builder's pool startup guy to the curb.
- Do you have a sprinkler system? Who pays for the replacement of that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your design, I would consider "toe tile" along the tanning ledge and bench so that they will be easily visible to people jumping in from the house side of the decking. What is the view from the inside of the house? Seems like the grotto may not be that visible down on the end.

On the quote:
- another recommendation for saltwater
- what is the tempered safety glass required by code? maybe new windows?
- I would skip the Polaris 3900 and get a better robotic cleaner, either through the PB or ideally purchased separately
- Do you really want them caring for your pool for 3 months? Most people on this site take care of their own pools, and cannot wait to kick the builder's pool startup guy to the curb.
- Do you have a sprinkler system? Who pays for the replacement of that?
Thanks. I agree about using a tile at the edge of the steps/ledge.

I think the safety glass is in their general contractor wording, unless it is the glass for the fire pit. No new windows or glass furniture.

I was thinking of a robot dolphin cleaner. We had a very basic pool before (it was built when we bought our old house). There we had a Keepy Krauly on a DE filter and used tabs (didn’t know any better). The pool generally was easy to take care of, but the pressure cleaner looks super complex to get to clean properly.

The grotto will not be very visible from the inside, but I’m okay with that.

We need to pay for all sprinklers, over 3 zones. We have about 10 in the backyard so already have this money set aside.

We are mainly wanting the pool startup and pool school. This pool may need to be winterized based on last year’s Texas freeze that took out the power. We never needed to worry about that with our old house in a more temperate climate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.