New Build in The Woodlands TX - Update: Landscaping!

Hello pjt,

I’ve been following your great build thread from the beginning. I love your attention to detail. You have a gorgeous pool and backyard patio and pavilion.

I’m in the process of working with my Lake Charles PB and designing a pool similar in size to yours (with no spa) and also incorporating all the great TFP best practices, advice, and recommendations which you have clearly done.

Several questions:

• my PB is also telling me (and I have also been unable to find) that Pentair does not offer the IntelliCenter pool-only bundle with the IC60 and will have to order the load center and IC60 cell separately. Any issues with this on your actual build?
  • I did not see a separate pump for your wall-mounted sheers and bronze spouts. You are running them off your main pump? How do you control them?
  • what are your plans for your 1/2” injection port for a Stenner pump (after the SWG)? Acid injection?
  • I note your “removable hand rail” in your original post. Is that located at your main steps into the pool to facilitate getting in and out of the pool? Please give me more specifics on the make and model of those.
  • looks like you placed two umbrella sleeves on your tanning shelf?
  • where did you place your power supply for your Pentair Warrior SE robot? I’ve been trying to think of a practical way to not have to have the low voltage cable laying across the patio when the robot is in the pool. Any ideas?
  • How is the robot working as to pool cleaning? I assume you have to brush the tanning shelf and benches/steps?
  • anything you would do different vs. your original design based on your early use of the pool?
Thanks,

Mark

where did you place your power supply for your Pentair Warrior SE robot? I’ve been trying to think of a practical way to not have to have the low voltage cable laying across the patio when the robot is in the pool. Any ideas?
There are some other posts on the forum where people have laid a 2" PVC with the wire in it and it comes out at (or right above) the water line. So it is a hidden wire and runs to your power supply.

• my PB is also telling me (and I have also been unable to find) that Pentair does not offer the IntelliCenter pool-only bundle with the IC60 and will have to order the load center and IC60 cell separately. Any issues with this on your actual build?
This is probably what you're looking for: Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC60 Kit - Pool only with Load Center and IC60

Looks like it's out of stock. You might have to buy things separately. You want the load center with built in SWG support. I really like my setup.

• I did not see a separate pump for your wall-mounted sheers and bronze spouts. You are running them off your main pump? How do you control them?
Yes, the water features run off the main pump. There is a 3-way diverter valve that directs water to either the water feature or the returns. There are trim valves that can be adjusted to equalize the flow from the five water features.

• what are your plans for your 1/2” injection port for a Stenner pump (after the SWG)? Acid injection?
For now, nothing. I installed it to provide easy future installation of a Stenner if I want. Might setup acid injection sometime in the future.

• I note your “removable hand rail” in your original post. Is that located at your main steps into the pool to facilitate getting in and out of the pool? Please give me more specifics on the make and model of those.
Yes, the sockets are in the deck at the main steps. I used these: Anchor Socket

43.jpg

42.jpg

They have colored anchor covers for when the handrail is removed:

41.jpg

• looks like you placed two umbrella sleeves on your tanning shelf?
Three on the shelf, one on the main entry steps, one on the bench under the center water feature. All of them are offset to the south so shadows are cast in the right location.

• where did you place your power supply for your Pentair Warrior SE robot? I’ve been trying to think of a practical way to not have to have the low voltage cable laying across the patio when the robot is in the pool. Any ideas?
I plug the robot into an outdoor Wi-Fi smart plug at the pavilion. The power supply and cable are routed behind the retaining wall so it's out of sight. There might be a way of routing the cables under the deck for a clean and uncluttered look. I think Maytronics is developing a new system where the cord would plug in at the waterline, but it's not available yet.

• How is the robot working as to pool cleaning? I assume you have to brush the tanning shelf and benches/steps?
The robot is awesome. It cleans much better than expected. I brush the shelf, benches, and steps, but the robot cleans 90% of my pool.

• anything you would do different vs. your original design based on your early use of the pool?
I'm happy with my pool and (all ego aside) I think the design and planning were very good. If I could change anything, I would add the option to cap the overflow drain and I would add one more GFCI outlet near the house.

Wow- what a great pool! Lots of thought went into your design. What are you planning for all the beautiful pillars along the length of your pool?
I think we'll have flower pots on the four center pillars to add a splash of vibrant color.

Reactions: colleenbevans

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beautiful. May I ask what type of plants/trees you used?

Trees:
Eagleston Holly
Texas Vitex
Japanese Yew Meta
Scarlet's Peak

Bushes/shrubs/ground cover:
Eagleston Holly (bush form)
Drift Rose
Blue Daze
Texas Sage
Variegated Pittosporum
Abelia Kaleidoscope
Ajuga Chocolate Chip
Star Jasmine

OMG!!!!! This is BEAUTIFULLY done!!! we are using some left over moss rock like you have. Is that the black gravel? I've seen its gray when dry but black when wet. This yard should have been done on a TV show- Unbelievable! Beautiful stone work on top of those pillars too. I like the block edging too. we are using river rock in our flower beds. Working on it (ourselves) this weekend. I'll post pics when its done- but I'm somewhat intimidated now!! Just WOW!

Reactions: pjt
Everything looks great! Did you pool builder handle the pavillion build? For whatever reason I'm having trouble finding anyone to build an A-frame shelter just like yours in Florida. Everyone wants to stick to only building pergolas here.

OMG!!!!! This is BEAUTIFULLY done!!! we are using some left over moss rock like you have. Is that the black gravel? I've seen its gray when dry but black when wet. This yard should have been done on a TV show- Unbelievable! Beautiful stone work on top of those pillars too. I like the block edging too. we are using river rock in our flower beds. Working on it (ourselves) this weekend. I'll post pics when its done- but I'm somewhat intimidated now!! Just WOW!
Yes, it's black star gravel along the path.

Everything looks great! Did you pool builder handle the pavillion build? For whatever reason I'm having trouble finding anyone to build an A-frame shelter just like yours in Florida. Everyone wants to stick to only building pergolas here.
Our PB has a business relationship with a company that builds pavilions and outdoor living areas. The pavilion builder does custom work, so he'll build almost anything for outdoor living.

Toe tile was installed today. Ready for plaster this week.

View attachment 166998

View attachment 166999
Were the toe tiles installed before plaster by the crew who were installing coping and waterline tiles? or if they must be installed the day of plaster job.
Toe tile was installed today. Ready for plaster this week.

View attachment 166998

View attachment 166999
Were the toe tiles installed before plaster by the crew who were installing coping and waterline tiles? or if they must be installed the day of plaster job. I am asking since I am wondering how to make sure the toe tile surfaces will be level with the final plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.