New build in South Louisiana...

ok, will do... I read your post last night late. this morning the pool has cleared considerably, I left pump on last night with the skimmer full of the poly micron (?) don't know what they really call it...but it had caught a lot of brown manganese.

I'm wondering when I add chlorine again today its going to do the same thing? or did all of the metal fall out of solution yesterday? don't know really how that stuff reacts. thought about it last night rigging up up a permanent filter solution to bypass to when this happens, i'll have to look more closely at my set-up

thanks for the help, will keep you posted later today

J

Since you have a whole house softener as I do, you might wish to consider re-plumbing the line to your outdoor spigot for future top ups...assuming the outdoor faucet is bypassed.

That's what I do, and use a dual tank softener so that I ever tap out mid-fill. But I also use the Pentek on the same spigot because even through the softener I still get about .5 iron (from 2 ppm in the well).

Once you have metal sequestrant (eg Jacks magic purple for salt water generator, metal magic for regular...each are comprised of di-phosphonic acid) you shouldn't get tinting every time you add chlorine...the sequestrant binds it into solution. But since you had oxidized it by adding the chlorine, it makes sense to remove as much as possible because that will reduce the amount of sequestrant you'll need in the future.

If I clears via your pool filter before you consider getting the Pentek, be sure to add sequestrant, but still consider the Pentek fr the outdoor faucet ;) Trust me...the less that gets in, the better!

^^^^^ invaluable info...thanks. I filled the pool from the hose bibs on the house, so it was softened pre entering the pool. ICR what our manganese content was pre softener....IIRC it is .6 or 6 ppm. .6 sounds more like it, I would have to look at the well test before. and surprisingly, we do not have any iron in it, just the Mn

so, like I said this morn, the pool cleared up over night, and maybe even a little better while at work. the water is visibly clear, however, in the my measuring cup it does look a little cloudy (might be the plastic cup itself). in regards to the filter, I actually had one on the well outlet (several yrs ago) and it would get saturated in Mn....so my question is, if you have one pre entering the pool, won't the Mn (or in your case iron) fall out AFTER it gets into the solution of the pool? negating the filter? or is your system open before it gets to filter and already oxidizes?.....dk if I'm making sense.

my next move is to open my filter and give the cartridges a look see to see if they did the heavy lifting of getting the Mn out or the pillow stuffing in the basket. I believe, and could be wrong, that Mn is much more forgiving on staining than iron. our water closets (before we softened) would get Mn ring but clean with a cleaner very easily, where iron is very unforgiving?

we're about to get another gully washer now and another Tues, so I prob will not have much time to do what I need to outside the next few days...btw, what is your background? engineer or school of been there done that or something else? thx for the help

:cheers:

J

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, looking pretty good there, especially compared to where I've been ;)

In answer to your question on the Pentek filter, you're not oxidizing or aerating the water...simply filtering through a poly spun disposable/changeable filter that will reduce to 1 micron...which is why it never gets ALL of it, but in the case of iron at low levels, gets a healthy percentage.

I'm not sure how effective it is for maganese, but before the softener when I purchased our home I too had maganese ring in tank, etc. and I've never had black/purple staining since the softener.

Another pre-filter to pool notion that is more expensive because you can't just put a fresh filter in is a green sand filter made by Metal Trap. Greensand is supposed to be effective at filtering maganese, but I'd personally try the cheaper date first. You could burn through a few years of disposable filters for the price of an adequate green sand prefilter ;)

NB: I dug up this thread from a few years back where someone reviewed and tested it: Metal Trap review

instead of posting a new thread on my test results, I just decided to bump this one...I know Kim will see it eventually :lol:

so, after playing with the water chems for 2 weeks now, ive come to the conclusion my CYA is a solid 20

at this number, I'm adding exactly 1/2 gal bleach everyday, bumps me up to right around 5ppm, give or take 1/2 point. I'm adding exactly same time everyday, and during that time FC will drift down to 2...maybe 1.5ppm.

if I leave it like this, it makes adding very simple (b/c I'm right at 1/2 gal)...but the suggestion chart says I need to raise CYA to 30. any harm in leaving my numbers where they're at? am I flirting with danger?

CC is still 0, and water is crystal / gin clear :cheers:

J

There you are!!!! HI!

Yeah you can leave it where you are. How long has it been? Keep a good log of your results so you can see if anything is going wonky.

Keep a close eye on it and tweak it as needed. 1/2 gal is not bad at all!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.