New Build in Sacramento!

Great... :goodjob: . Things look very tight back there. It will be interesting to see what they will use to set those boulders :scratch:.

How big did they decide to make the sunken Boulder shelf? Are they placing the boulders on the gunnite or on the plaster?

They are using a crane to set the boulders. The shelf varies in depth but it’s approximately 3 feet deep and the rock will be about 2 feet in the water. They also are making a gunnite pad for more rock. The rock will sit directly on gunnite that has been sealed.

Thank for the tip on the iron. We just bought tape to mark the the rock for placement. I’ll set the iron heavy ones aside for landscaping.

They are using a crane to set the boulders.
That would have been my guess...
The shelf varies in depth but it’s approximately 3 feet deep and the rock will be about 2 feet in the water.

That sounds deep. It looks like most of your boulders are 2-3' so some of them will be totally submerged.

Are you planning on a grotto or just the waterfall?
Will you be able to jump in from the rocks in the falls?

What is all that debris in the ramp section? Be sure to have a conversation with the PB about proper material and proper compaction in the ramp area and any trenches. A lot of pool builders do not backfill correctly which leads to settlement under your ??? Thousand dollar deck.

That sounds deep. It looks like most of your boulders are 2-3’so some of them will be totally submerged.

I worded my statement terrible. Not to mention my measurements are all pre gunnite and does not factor the waterline height. We are shooting for 1-1.5’ of submergence. By depth I meant width not height. You are correct the boulders are 2-3’ so after gunnite they should sit on the shelf nicely.

Are you planning on a grotto or just the waterfall?

No grotto

Will you be able to jump in from the rocks in the falls?

I don’t want anyone to jump from the waterfall. It’s to shallow. I’m going to try and block access with trees and shrubs. I’m putting a flat jump rock near the deep end.

What is all that debris in the ramp section?

I make them put up my fence so my dog can’t escape. They had to push dirt out of the way so the debris is holding dirt till rebar is finished.

Be sure to have a conversation with the PB about proper material and proper compaction in the ramp area and any trenches.

I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks! I will definitely talk with him tomorrow. They do have a massive plate compacter sitting outside.

All that sounds perfect... Do they close pools in Sacramento? If you do close for the winter and are planning on a winter safety cover, "now" is the time to figure out what type of cover and how it will be secured. You can have them leave some type of attachment drilled into the gunnite instead of drilling your rocks after you have a beautiful finished product.

The rebar is finished. I’m really surprised how quick 3 guys put it all in. I measured everything. It seems like I have 2 extra feet of width and 5 feet of length. All the energy drinks I’ve been giving them must have amped them up! The depth looks pretty much spot on, maybe just a few inches deeper.

I decided last night their square pad for the waterfall was inadequate so I made it bigger. One thing they failed to do was my raised bond beams, although after some thought I think I’ll like it better anyway. I’ll inform the PB. I’m sure I can use that to get something later. 94E3625C-28E8-4E26-A0CF-89F0BE294E3A.jpeg123DA335-51B4-4853-BEF2-FC2D177D1F55.jpegCC5CB517-82E1-45B5-8D66-DCB653E06F8B.jpeg3B3254A8-5B95-49F0-B629-E5E587AF6A3D.jpeg

It seems like I have 2 extra feet of width and 5 feet of length.

That is huge... We had to increase the length of our pool to accommodate going from 6' deep end to 8' deep end. I can not recall the extra price but each foot was very expensive.

Good decision on a bigger shelf. It will give your rock guy more options.

Plumbing and electrical is nearly done. The fist day was a mess. They put in the wrong size pipes. I cought their mistake at noon at least. They were not thrilled when I told them it had to all come out. Unfortunately I’m at work the next few days so I won’t be able to inspect again till Friday morning. My wife sent me the pictures. From the look of it I think they made another mistake. Although it’s hard to tell for sure and it will be an easy fix. Does anything look weird or off to anyone? I’ll get better pictures when I get home.

For reference:
2 skimmers 1 main drain w/ 2.5in pvc
6 returns w/ 2in pvc reduced to 1.5in
2 of these returns are in the floor. I guess they are for putting warm water in the deep end.
Main waterfall is 2.5in return and small one is 2in on 3in suction.
6 pentair microbrite lights.
Questions, comments, or concerns?
8CE8B4D0-1C28-4DBD-9ECB-B76E83666CD3.jpeg
AC82A4D6-8878-4A31-8789-393F3BC8EEF3.jpeg738B72DE-CF7F-4A3E-9005-373ECDB13530.jpeg2B1756A1-F901-4493-9F65-F9AEF99EBFBC.jpeg1CE8014B-E69C-4EA1-A5DF-A22B21DC2932.jpeg

Questions, comments, or concerns?

Sorry, but Unimpressed would my comment. Just looks like a rushed job.
- The trenches are wide enough for what they are doing.
- That material is too course for plumbing IMHO. It is OK for the bottom if they meticulously weed out the large rocks and give the bottom a nice smooth tamped flat surface to place the pipes on (which was not done, It should have a 2" min bed of sand under the pipes) but it is definitely to course to backfill with. You do not want all that rock up against your pipes and you can not pack that material around the pipes without leaving voids that can settle later. They should be using sand for backfill material.

- Those deep holes by the skimmer should be properly compacted when backfilled. Sand would be the best for this as well because it can be washed in and flood settled and tamped for proper compaction. Those holes are usually to small to get good compaction with a mechanical compactor.

They should have done a good layout of the plumbing fist then brought in and stockpiled sand fist then removed the spoils as they dug the trenches.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That piping in the last two pics needs to be supported better. They are going to need to use care when they backfill if just like @Rich D said. Any idea when they will be there to do the backfill? I would try to have someone there that knows or can be taught what to look for while they backfill.

The shelf........did they really use a bend to get the pipe down under the steel? That looks mighty close to the top. Also those board are not very tall there. How deep is you shelf contracted to be?

Sorry, but Unimpressed would my comment.

These were my exact comments to my wife last night.

[/QUOTE]
It is OK for the bottom if they meticulously weed out the large rocks and give the bottom a nice smooth tamped flat surface to place the pipes on (which was not done, It should have a 2" min bed of sand under the pipes).
[/QUOTE]

Is this something I can rectify now that it is in? If so how should I suggest they do it?

I’ll talk to the PB about sand backfilling in the trenches and ramp area. Do you usually use crushed gravel above the sand prior to concrete or is all sand sufficient.

Any idea when they will be there to do the backfill?
The shelf........did they really use a bend to get the pipe down under the steel? That looks mighty close to the top. Also those board are not very tall there. How deep is you shelf contracted to be?

Not sure. I’ll be home Friday and I’m pretty sure it’s after the inspection so I have time to rectify it.

If we are looking at the same picture that shelf is for the boulders. The bent pipe is for lights that are on a sitting bench.

Is this something I can rectify now that it is in? If so how should I suggest they do it?

They should be able to pack some sand under most of the pipes. I would not stress if they can't get sand under all of them. The important thing is to get some sand on top and sides of pipes before any more backfilling is done.

I’ll talk to the PB about sand backfilling in the trenches and ramp area. Do you usually use crushed gravel above the sand prior to concrete or is all sand sufficient

Typically you should encase the pipes a bare minimum of 2" of sand on all sides (I prefer 4") then you can use site material if it is suitable and compactable to bring you up to 6" below bottom of cement slab then install 6" of gravel or whatever the flat work guy prefers under his concrete.

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with compacted sand under concrete as long as there is no chance of it washing out. But most flat work guys prefer gravel or graded base or crushed stone.

Thanks for the advice @Rich D. I researched a lot prior to signing a contract but this was definitely not one of them.

I sent a long text to the PB about the concerns with pictures. He’s coming over tomorrow so we can talk about it. He’s been very receptive on everything else and he warranties the work so I’m hopeful he’s on the same page.

So my Pb was receptive and said they would clean out all the rock in the trenches and backfill with sand. I guess there’s not much I can do about pipe over pipe unless I make him redo it all.

He said the ramp would be filled mostly with gunnite and crushed gravel. Is this going to be ok? My thoughts would be gunnite to the pipe then sand above the pipe then crushed gravel. Or would gunnite above the pipes be fine?

I am going to have them move my electrical so it will be on my house and not on that post.
1CCBF00C-6DB4-40C5-A54E-5863900C3193.jpegC90CA92F-0AE9-455E-9B2F-7363C8D3506E.jpeg14F70CD8-96F2-4807-968A-BC866B11C70E.jpeg354C2D8A-D903-4A23-BCE7-750B50B2E50A.jpeg

Fast forward to the end. Pool is being filled. The piping issue was a major headache between me and the builder. I ended up firing his sub contractor. Some new guys came in were pleasant to work with, fixed all the concerns and sanded the trenches.

Attachments

• 1116C356-6D26-4DC1-955F-8EB4AFF9978D.jpeg
    1116C356-6D26-4DC1-955F-8EB4AFF9978D.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 60
  • B74CDA78-EFE2-4040-B56B-D145F6374757.jpeg
    B74CDA78-EFE2-4040-B56B-D145F6374757.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.