New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 3-25 update

Re: Rain dilemma advice needed

during our build, my shell sat from November till april (but thats another story! :rant: ) we had about 1.5 to 2 feet of water table to deal with in the bottom. At several points in time we had up tp 5 feet of water in the shell, with no negative affects. If anything, provided the shell doesnot try to float, this should help with your curing process. :goodjob:

Re: Rain dilemma advice needed

Starplex said:
One more tip. Try to keep rainwater from the roof of your house from running down along the edges of the gunite shell. This is just extra water that you don't want to find it's way to the underside of the shell. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea if you could direct some of this roof water into the pool though or direct it elsewhere in the yard.

I have an extensive drainage system set up to send all roof runoff out to the street via sump and pump. Thanks for the tip tho. One pool builder who quoted my pool said it was a necessity so that been in place for a while now. In fact I just finished burying all the piping and installing the pop up at the street today. It's pretty cool when it comes on and there is a small "fountain" at the street.

Nosy bossy neighbor down the street already called the inspections department on me about it, and tried to say it was against the law to direct runoff into the street... Where the heck else does runoff from every one else's yard go? Lol I just put in place an engineered solution instead of the redneck trenches everybody else does. They told the neighbor it was city approved, kiss my arse HOA Nazi!

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** gunite shoot!

So tense times over here...

I followed the design recommendations for installing my sump pump, which included a check valve. Duh, you really only want a check valve in a house to keep water from backflowing during a power outage or something. With the intense rain we have had overnight, (almost 8" on my rain gauge) and its still pouring... the check valve clogged with debris. I noticed the fountain in the front yard was not as vigorous as it was, and walked out back to see things not draining super well, so I thought about it, and concluded the check valve must have Crud in it. Jumped in the sump, cut the pump free and cut the check valve out. Yep, packed with Crud. Cut the check valve out, put in straight pipe in its place and dropped it back in the sump. During the 15 minutes it took me to do this, the water in the back yard rose about 6".

These are the pics of that. For reference the bond beam is 10" high above the ground.

poolflood1.jpg

poolflood2.jpg

Evidently I was keeping the neighbors backyards dry too.

Now it is spewing like a madman at the street again, and hopefully catching up. Will keep you updated.

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** FLOOD PICS

Wow! I'm so happy you got your shell poured before now. With all the weather set backs before this would have been a horrific disaster if it was just a hole in the ground still!!
PS: send some of that rain W/NW to TX and OK!!! Lol

Video of the flooded pool area:

Remember the top of the bond beam is 10" above the dirt.

[youtube:3h9eescx]6LXcRMWWZpY[/youtube:3h9eescx]

This is a short video showing the pump output at the street:

The pump is rated for 6K gal/hr.

[youtube:3h9eescx]5cEDwmjB3bE[/youtube:3h9eescx]

While in the past 30 min it hasnt caught up, its certainly not getting any worse. I think if we can get a half hour of light rain it will catch up.

I thought it was bad when we got 10" in one month! If your gunite wasn't done I think it would have been level mud by about now. Too bad there wasn't a vid of you jumping in the sump, although if it was me all the audio would need to be deleted. I guess at least the rain is warm.

bobby1017 said:
I thought it was bad when we got 10" in one month! If your gunite wasn't done I think it would have been level mud by about now. Too bad there wasn't a vid of you jumping in the sump, although if it was me all the audio would need to be deleted. I guess at least the rain is warm.

There was too much panic in my voice at that point to post it on the web. I was scared to death the pool would be ruined, and then when I had to duck under to get to the pump my wife was screaming at me.

Probably not the smartest thing, but its not like I am going to get sucked through a 2" pipe.

Ouch! Good thing you were home! Your weather challenges are character building! I'd have given up by now.

Is it possible to install a second pump in the sump? I assume when it's done you'll have some type of rock filter system or similar to keep debris out of the pump? This was also probably worse since you still have everything dug up right?

You're getting closer each day though!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow, I can't believe how much water has dumped into the pool already! Hey, it cost us about $250 to fill our pool after we had it acid washed. Too bad it isn't already plastered! Keep it up... it'll all turn out okay.

CraigMW said:
Wow, I can't believe how much water has dumped into the pool already! Hey, it cost us about $250 to fill our pool after we had it acid washed. Too bad it isn't already plastered! Keep it up... it'll all turn out okay.

Pre storm I ran about a foot and a half into it as a pop-out preventative.

My rain gauge says about 12 in or so of rain.

I noticed it weeping around the light fixture and returns. Is that ok?

So were you able to watch the Tigers have their way with those Ducks last night during your pool craziness?! I got 4" in Shreveport which is more than we've had all year. Glad ya'll got rain, but dang that looks pretty deep!

carlscan26 said:
Ouch! Good thing you were home! Your weather challenges are character building! I'd have given up by now.

Is it possible to install a second pump in the sump? I assume when it's done you'll have some type of rock filter system or similar to keep debris out of the pump? This was also probably worse since you still have everything dug up right?

You're getting closer each day though!

I plan to keep a second pump around just in case. No real filter system, this pump is supposed to be able to handle solids up to 2" in diameter so I just cut the check valve out, and what goes in on this end pops out the other, it's an 80' straight run to a popup at the street. I am considering installing a clean out tee in the bushes though.

Ideally when done, this will be just a water system with no real chance for dirt to get into the system.

Lershac said:
And FYI it's all good now, the pump caught up in about 45 min.
That must be quite a pump!

Could you post a pic and details on your street pop-up when you have a chance to breath (no hurry). That sounds like a good solution for my house sump pump.

linen said:
Lershac said:
And FYI it's all good now, the pump caught up in about 45 min.
That must be quite a pump!

Could you post a pic and details on your street pop-up when you have a chance to breath (no hurry). That sounds like a good solution for my house sump pump.

Pic of pump available at amazon for a little under $375 with shipping:

41tZyQdy8AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just connected it to a 2" sched 40 pvc and ran that out to the street (buried 1') and the connected it to a standard NDS (thats a brand) pop up emitter thats less than 10 bucks at lowes, heres a pic of it:

nds-pop-up-emitter-product-250x188.jpg
The elbow part on mine was white.

Its got a great performance curve for this application. I have a very low head at around 5', so I am getting around 6K gal per hour.

84345-63.gif

77551-63.gif

Today My oldest daughter and I installed the deck drains :

deckdrains1.jpg

deckdrains2.jpg

And this afternoon our custom stone order was delivered for the mosaics.

Incredible work we are really pleased how these came out. All natural stone and reasonable prices!
Geckos and dragonflies!

Pompeii stone out of Baton Rouge. Real artisans.

mosaic1.jpg

mosaic2.jpg

Lershac said:
Pre storm I ran about a foot and a half into it as a pop-out preventative.

My rain gauge says about 12 in or so of rain.

I noticed it weeping around the light fixture and returns. Is that ok?

Maybe your pool was just sad about the storm? In any event, I'm not sure what would cause the weeping, but you might want to check on the pool light conduit. Can you still pressure test it and the pool returns to make sure your plumbing is all intact and sealed? You don't want to find out you have any leaks after you put down your deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.