New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 3-25 update

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 9-9 update

Pretty sure it was around the light fixture and not through the conduit.

Saturday I ran the electrical conduit from the stub ups to the equipment pad, and finished tying the gutter downspouts into the deck drains.

My youngest has her 9 th birthday mon, so she had a slumber party last night. I had to call it a day around 2 as I had 10 girls standing around me peppering me with questions as I glued up conduit. Then I had to run errands for the party. What a flipping nightmare it was. Those kids were up till 2.

My eyes feel like they are full of sand.

Today I have my day labor guys coming to help spread 18 tons of gravel. I see a nap in my future.

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 9-9 update

so some pics of the results of the weekend. Things are starting to look neat and clean. Rock is down and spread, all plumbing is covered, electrical conduits are in.

Pics:

poolrock1.jpg

poolrock2.jpg

The cats are using the deck drains as raceways, running up and down them. Crazy Rear cats.

There is also an awful lot of cat poop in the gravel lol.

Next up is forming up the concrete work for the under-decking and laying in the rebar. I plan to go from the top edge of the bond beam to about 2" below the top of the deck drains, and back up to the slab height at the house (which is the same height as the bond beam). This will give me about 2" of fall in 6' from either side.

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 9-11 update

Jealous! I can totally relate to the need to see some 'clean' changes. Kudos to you for making it through the slumber party! I remember having one and inviting over 10 girls. For about two hours, we had a screaming contest. My poor dad sat on the chair with a plastic smile on his face and pretended to read the newspaper. The things we do for our kids. I've enjoyed your build thread.

No updates this weekend because nothing was done. I bought my wife a boat (small 14' aluminum flat bottom bateau with a 9.9 hp mercury outboard) and we went fishing. We both grew up fishing, and she really missed it, so we are "putting our toes in the water" so to speak to see if we still enjoy it with this small purchase... if we still enjoy it in a year, we may buy something bigger. We didnt catch much, but took a nice ride and enjoyed ourselves very much. Gotta find some launches and areas to fish closer to home though... we went down to stephensville around morgan city LA (where my dad owns a houseboat, and I grew up going on the weekend to fish) and its a 90 minute car ride to get there. Much too far.

Waiting on my concrete guy to get un-busy so he can come form up the slabs for the pool under-decking and we can move forward.

Pic of the boat:

newboat.jpg

CraigMW said:
Lershac:

Lookin' good. Make sure to update us. I'm really enjoying your build (and incredible patience)!

Yeah well patience is the word right now, I am waiting on my concrete guy to finish another project before he starts on my stuff. Everything has been at a standstill for two weeks. Good thing I bought a boat to distract me fishing.

In reality its probably a good thing overall, I was REALLY getting burnt out, the wife was really missing me. The past two weeks have been nice, caught up on alot of work stuff, been fishing three times, and (gasp) went out with friends! They all thought I was dead.

As soon as more progress is made will update!

So after several weeks of no action, my concrete guy called last night and he is coming out today to get started on pouring the under-deck. Yaaaay!

Will update with progress pics.

So have I told anyone how much I hate working with irresponsible contractors?

So I have this concrete to lay. It's pretty much impossible to lay it myself, it's just too much to finish for one person, 1100 sf plus some odds and ends. The guy I hired to do this is the same guy I hired to do the foundations for my additions and driveway and patios two years ago. I forgot just how much he frustrated me.

First he puts me off for a month, fine he is involved in a big project and I could use the break. When he finally shows up I go over everything with him, negotiate a price agreeable to both of us ( it was a little high, but I am getting the concrete cheaper than he can buy it and with the cheap concrete he is still way cheaper than just hiring someone else that would want to sell me the Crete too, plus I have done business with him in the past and was happy with the finished product. That weighs a lot with me.

Well the plan was for him to form and lay rebar mon-wed and get inspected thur and pour fri. He was to line up the line pump for the pour.

Part of the whole job was to form up the lid for my sump, and obtain the grate that would be set in it for access to the sump for clean out and pump maint.

I called him Thursday afternoon to tell him we passed the inspection ( just a bonding check) and he tells me ( less than 24 hours before the scheduled pour) oh, hey I couldn't get ahold of the line pump guy, and I couldn't find a grate to go on the sump so I haven't formed up the sump lid yet.

I'm sorry, what? Ok so we can't pour fri. I call and put off the concrete. I ask him to right now, get ahold of the line pump rental and take care of that. " uhhhh I don't have a guy for that" he lied about knowing where to get one. Fine, I will take care of that. What about the drain grate? Uhhhh I can't find one" Did you go to the iron foundry we have conveniently located less than 5 miles away? "uhhhh what's a foundry? You want iron? I was looking for a plastic grate. " wtf.

So I communicate my unhappiness, but am determined to make it through this so I tell him just show up tues for the pour I will line everything else up.

"uhhh I got another job lined up for next week". Well guess what? You don't finish my job as we agreed in a timely manner, I will not pay you a dime ( no money out at this point) and I will make your life miserable in court ( an empty threat but he knows I am not afraid of the courts, several lawyers for clients ). Ok, ok, Tuesday at 8? Yeah.

Good lord I hate irresponsible people. It took me 30 min to go to the foundry and pick up a grate and frame ( which I will deduct from his pay) and another 5 min to get a line pump set up for tues morning. Just why are people so lame? How the he'll does he make a living at this?

About the only good thing so far, is that my plaster guy bid to plaster, set coping, tile and 1100 sf of pavers for about the cost I had mentally reserved for the plaster. $10k so all I have left to do after that is set the equipment, and get the gas going to the heater and a double check valve installed for the autofill and irrigation water.

Sigh. Somebody fix me a drink, a double.

Man I feel your pain and frustration right through the screen! :grrrr:

I amazes me that with a 10%+ unemployment rate the people that have work don't even try to keep it.
We've all seen many good subs go out of business. How do bad ones stay so busy?
It is a shame to see people unappreciative of your business.

The pool sub that did my vermiculite did a great job on time and for a good price.
He did such good work, at such a good price I lined him up do do more for me.
He totally stood me up twice on other work, would not even answer his cell phone.
2 weeks later he called back to give excuses and try to set up another time to do the work, of course, by then, I had done did it myself.
I will never call him again nor refer him to anyone else.

I'm sure this makes you more proud of all the work you did yourself.
:cheers: Best of luck,
John.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 10-6 update

Concrete pour on deck today! Finally! Yay! Coping, tile and plaster this weekend and travertine pavers next week. Gonna be a busy time. Will do my best to take pics and keep things updated.

I have not been thrilled with my concrete guy (see above) and my dad had a great suggestion...

The concrete guy it turns out does a LOT of work for the pool contractor I hired for the plaster and such, so I hired the contractor to oversee the concrete pour,as he has more leverage and a better relationship with the concrete guy than I do (a couple hundred bucks cash to the pool contractor to be on site for the pour). I hope it works out well. I can't be on site the whole time.

Sorry guys, for now I cant post a full update. Things are progressing. Plaster this fri I think. Hopefully travertine this weekend.

Will post FULL updates with pics this weekend hopefully. Will explain then.

Whew....I was afraid you took matters into your own hands and gave the concrete guy the Jimmy Hoffa treatment. Good to know things are moving along.

Holy Bat, Jeepers Man!
This thread just popped up to the top of my "new post" list - I don't know how I have missed it thus far, but I had to stop and read all of it.

Lershac, I honestly don't know how you are still maintaining, but you are one righteous trooper. Girls, too. This is an awesome build, and a terrific write-up.

I am in awe. And also, not worthy. Great job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.