New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** 3-25 update

Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy**

oh yeah, definitely took the day off. after a post on facebook I have gotten a cpl of emails "hey you mind if I drop by and watch for a while?" And my dad is all about coming to watch and kibbutz. Strangely now I am nervous about them even showing up! lol.

and weather is looking perfect. Area is shaded in the morning, and afternoon looks like some rain. Have to go buy a cpl lawn sprinklers to put on a timer for curing. VERY hot here high temps in the ~100 range with the max I have on my weather log is 103 last week.

Under way now for about 3 hours. Guys are very nice. Seem to want to make The pool as good as possible. Foreman came and asked if it was ok if they added more rebar on the overdig wall, I said go to it and thanks for suggesting it! I told him I felt bad it wasnt right, and he said no, no, on (major pool builders name here) we bring 300 ft of rebar to every one we shoot b/c we know its going to need it. Adding 3 or 4 sticks to yours just because of the overdig, everything else is great.

Pool shoot done. Took 5 hours from arrival to departure. 42 Yards of gunite (we were both low!). Looks awesome, a couple of small nitpicks, a small void (maybe 2 cups of material) in the wall next to the seat on the reverse side of the spa wall, I guess that can be filled with plaster and a couple of dinged edges on the bond beam that I assume can be mortared.

Raul, the foreman, was more than happy to install my umbrella sleeves, and even suggested a different placement that made alot of sense so I went with it.

Got to go take care of some client calls that stacked up this morning or I would post pics and video, will get to it tonight. Also gotta pick up an extra hose for the sprinklers.

They tell me 21 days to cure, I can put tile and coping on immediately, but wait on the plaster. I dont think I will be ready for plaster anyway in that time period, I want to get the concrete sub-deck in before we plaster, so thats all good.

See yall tonight with pics and hopefully video clips of the shoot.

So here are the pics:

So I was all anxious for them to show up. For some reason I thought they had a mixup scheduling my shoot so fast. I mean when I called the owners wife to schedule, it was like a 90 second phone call. She just said "how about tomorrow morning?" and I said "ok great!" and that was pretty much it, just couldnt believe ut I guess.

They showed up about 5 mintues early and were hustling from the get-go. They were shooting gunite about 15 minutes after they got there. That was the very first thing they did was put a guy in the pool with the hose and he started shooting a pad to stand on.

guniteshoot50.jpg

The trucks, two gunite (cement and aggregate in separate compartments with a feed mechanism) a huge compressor truck, and a pickup full of guys all arrived within seconds of each other and it was like a chinese fire drill they piled out so fast and everybody was carrying a full load on the first trip to the back yard. No wasted time.

guniteshoot51.jpg

guniteshoot52.jpg

guniteshoot53.jpg

Then the foreman came to talk to me, after looking over the whole pool. He asked to see the plans, glanced at them and focused on me describing what I thought were the critical points of the pool that may have been non-standard. He picked up right away on the spa wall being at water level, nodded and trotted off into the pool and talked to each worker giving them the layout.

Then they started correcting stuff in the pool, filled the drains with mud, covered the skimmers, started stringing up steel guide wires to guide the shoot.

guniteshoot54.jpg

guniteshoot55.jpg

Then Raul (the foreman) came and asked me if I had any more rebar (I did) and asked uf they could add it to the pool shell. SURE! But why? He wanted to strengthen parts of the shell that he thought might be weak. Specifically the overdug wall and some on the back wall that turned out to be pretty thick. I felt pretty bad at this point that I had done a poor job, and he laughed and said no, no, (major local pool builder) doesnt build them this good, we have to bring alot of rebar to all of his jobs and waste alot of time correting what they do wrong.

Whew.

I was also very glad that he cared enough to do that. He said several times that he wanted me to see that he wanted the best for my pool.

From all the really good suggestions he made I believed every word of it.

guniteshoot56.jpg

Shooting the tanning shelf initial lift so the guys could get into the pool and not deform the rebar too much
guniteshoot57.jpg

Starting to hit the bond beam

guniteshoot58.jpg

Working the spa

guniteshoot59.jpg

Later in the shoot finishing the spa

guniteshoot60.jpg

starting the steps.. the steps were done in several different stages with long minutes in between where they went to work on something else. I wonder if thats on purpose to let them set up

guniteshoot61.jpg

guniteshoot62.jpg

Raul asked at one point... "you like squares and rectangles, sharp corners eh?"

Yes.

guniteshoot63.jpg

I asked him to cut in holes for my umbrella holders, and he said he was pleased to, glad I had gotten some because he could tell my wife was very pale-skinned and he didnt want her to burn (yeah he said that, wtf?).

and he walked around with all four after I gave them to him and told him where I wanted them, then came back and said he would put them wherever I wanted, but could he make a suggestion? Sure, so he laid out where he would put them and why, with the afternoon sun (which he had never seen but guessed at) and sure enough he had the better layout so I told him to go ahead.

guniteshoot64.jpg

guniteshoot65.jpg

The gunite trucks were RIDICULOUSLY loud. The vibrators in the bins combined with the air driven material pump was overwhelming. When they switched trucks and it got quiet it was almost eerie.

guniteshoot66.jpg

getting close! On the last truck. We used 42 yards. The company owner estimated 30 yds (I had run some rough back-of-the-napkin calcs and said 35-40), so we were both too low. That overdig really cost. But I would rather pay to fill it with gunite than have a settling void to worry about.

guniteshoot67.jpg

finished spraying and running out the hose. They were kind enough to run out the hose into the void around my little drainage sump to help fill it up. That was good thinking.

guniteshoot68.jpg

smoothing out the bottom.

guniteshoot69.jpg

guniteshoot70.jpg

Finished, cleaned up and left. I gave Raul a largish extra amount for all his thoughtfullness and asked him to split it among the crew.

Final pics of the shoot.

guniteshoot71.jpg

guniteshoot72.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Build in Red Stick- **pic heavy** gunite shoot!

carlscan26 said:
Looking great! What part of the house is the extension you added yourself? It it the gable coming towards the spa and tanning shelf?

Yes, also the structure to the right in the last pic. Carport, and storage room, and pool bathroom

Great update Lershac! You know how to show some progress with a photo layout man. Now I know what your pool is supposed to look like. To be honest, I looked at the other photos many times and thought what the???? Where's the?.... Huh?

NOW I See...very nice man, and unusual, I really like it. I don't remember...what kind of plaster and color you goin with?

That is simply a work of art! Going to look really good when done I wish I could have done something like that where I am at but it just wasn't practical out here I would have all kinds of wildlife taking a swim at night. Are you putting in any underwater lights?

Lershac:

I've been following this pool build for a while and I must say it's great to see you finally have the concrete in. That should really help to minimize any disasters going forward. I'd also like to say that this has really been an incredibly inspiring story and how much I admire you for your determination. When I first read of your plans to build the pool with minimal outside help, I was skeptical, but you've slogged away the whole time. If anyone deserves a nice pool, it's you and your wonderful family. Those times when the rain was flooding your site and knocking down your work must have been intensely frustrating. The incident in which you shot a nail through your hand... enough said. But every time, you've picked yourself back up and just kept looking at the bright side without complaints. If only half of us in this country would have the same determination and attitude, we'd be in a much better place right now. In addition, your stories of the help of your family, esp. the time your daughter helped digging out, are just awesome. This has clearly been much more than a pool build.

Thanks so much for the inspiration and reminder to just keep on sloggin' it out with a smile. May the rest of your build go without a hitch!

Craig

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.