New build in North Florida

lowellp25

May 30, 2019
Tallahassee, FL
Long time lurker, first time poster. This will be our first pool build, so we would appreciate any feedback on design, specs, or both. A few points on the design/equipment:

* We're working with a fairly significant slope away from the back of the house, thus the 6' retaining wall on the back end.
* Our rear screened porch that abuts the pool deck is roughly 600 sq. ft. with a fireplace and other amenities, so we don't feel the need for an expansive pool deck.
* The planter on the rear side of the pool is intended to create privacy from a gravel road that runs behind our lot.
* We chose an extended length (43' at widest point) because we have two teenagers in competitive swimming.
* North Florida can experience fairly cold winters for 2-3 months out of the year, and we want to be able to heat the pool on certain occasions during that time period.

Total quote is about $120k with retaining wall (brick faced to match house) and fill dirt, but not including electrical work and landscaping (i.e., sprinkler relocations, sod, etc). We'll likely replace the pressure cleaner with a robotic cleaner.

GENERAL POOL SPECIFICATIONS:
SIZE: 21’x43’
SHAPE: Rectangle (as per print)
DEPTH: 3’8”-6’ (water depth)
STRUCTURAL WALL: 12” Bond Beam with 6” Wall (commercial specifications)
DECK/COPING: 1123 ft2 Travertine or Stone Pavers 144’ Bullnose Coping.
TILE: 6x6 tile 127 LFT (stock color of choice, $5 per ft2 allowance)
INTERIOR FINISH: Krystal Krete (blue quartz)
RAISED WALLS: (4) 18”x24” w/18” weir
STEPS: 4- (as per print)

POOL EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS:
FILTER: Pentair Clean & Clear 320 cartridge filter 160340
PUMP: PENTAIR Intelliflo 2 var. speed 3hp pump 011056
CONTROLLER: PENTAIR EasyTouch 8 Relay w/Ic-40 Salt Cell 520593
POOL CLEANER: POLARIS Pressure Cleaner TR355P w/booster pump LA-MS05
MAIN DRAIN: 2- 8’’ round (to meet or exceed Virginia Graeme Baker Act)
SKIMMERS: 2
RETURNS: 4-5
LIGHT(s): 3- PENTAIR multicolor LED Globrite 619994
AUTO WATER LEVELER: 1 (overflow also included based on appropriate elevation)
POOL MAINTENANCE KIT: Vac Hose PS527, Vac Pole PS132S, Wall Brush R111646, &
Test Kit R151186, PS302 Vac Head

GENERAL SPA SPECIFICATIONS:
SIZE: 7'x11'
SHAPE: Rectangle
DEPTH: 3' w/2-steps (as per print)
EXTERIOR MATERIAL: Tile
WATERLINE TILE: 6x6 tile ($5.00 sq. ft. color of choice)
SEAT: 18"
INTERIOR FINISH: KrystalKrete (TBD)

SPA EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS:
THERAPEUTIC PUMP: 11/2 hp
MAIN DRAIN: 1
THERAPY INLETS: 10
LIGHT: 1 PENTAIR multicolor LED spa
HEATER: PENTAIR 500,000 BTU Natural Gas
BLOWER: 1

PLUMBING SPECIFICATIONS:
Pipe and fittings for circulation, skimmer, main drain, and filter equipment will be schedule 40 PVC with minimum 2” suction side plumbing. Pool will be plumbed for automatic pool cleaner.

DECK SPECIFICATIONS:
Deck around pool will be 11/2” Travertine or Stone Pavers with sand and crush and run base. Coping will be 144’Linear ft. of 4x12” Bullnose Pavers. Four foot perimeter decking is included in the base price (1123 sq. ft.). Necessary deck drain is also included.

STEEL SPECIFICATIONS:
All required steel will be configured by a professional structural engineer. Grade 60 rebar (commercial specifications) will be used in all installations.

unknown-1.jpgunknown.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Did they give you a volume? I am coming up (roughly) with 30000 gallons. Let us know.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

We haven't been given a volume yet (or rather, we haven't asked for that calculation!). Thank you for the links -- I've been reading up to become better acquainted of the post sale obligations :)

The reason I asked is that an IC40 for a 30K pool is woefully undersized for a pool in Florida. An IC60 would be better.

Pentair has a new automation system called IntelliCenter. I would suggest getting that versus the Easytouch. I assume you are getting Screenlogic.
A pressure side cleaner is solid 1970's technology. Uses lots of electricity. Have you researched robots? See the Pool Cleaners sub forum.

When the gunite is shot, order your TF100 test kit. The one from the pool builder will not be sufficient.

The reason I asked is that an IC40 for a 30K pool is woefully undersized for a pool in Florida. An IC60 would be better.

Pentair has a new automation system called IntelliCenter. I would suggest getting that versus the Easytouch. I assume you are getting Screenlogic.
A pressure side cleaner is solid 1970's technology. Uses lots of electricity. Have you researched robots? See the Pool Cleaners sub forum.

When the gunite is shot, order your TF100 test kit. The one from the pool builder will not be sufficient.

That's good feedback, thank you. We are getting Screenlogic, and are very much interested in a robotic cleaner.

Hi there neighbor! I love your design! Something for everyone!

I can tell you have been reading the boards with your shallow end depth! Good job!

I have something to share with your to use instead of the round main drains: http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top

Have you seen these for the spa? JetPaks - Paramount Pool and Spas

What part of T-town are you in? I live off the Parkway.

Kim:kim:

Thank you - small world! We live in Centerville Conservation off of Centerville Road (otherwise known as South Georgia!). Thank you for the feedback on the options - I'm beginning to see that the opportunity for customization is almost endless. Regarding the pool drains - is this for safety, aesthetics, or both? Not a fan of white fixtures :)

We have 3 lights spec'ed for the pool - other than having the lights face *away* from the house (for glare), any thoughts on where to place the lights?

That drain is great for two things-aesthetics like you said and function. Any dirt is more likely to go down and in it and your cleaner will not "trip" over it.

The double round drain is done for safety. This channel drain will take their place AND be safe.

Can't help the brand of plaster but can help with these links about getting a good plaster job. These might help you pick a plaster:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Small world for sure but we are about as far from each other as we can get and still be in the same county!

Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do agree with Lorri on the one in the middle but don't think putting them on the ends would be safe for the kids doing flip turns. I would rather see on right by the steps and the other on the right side of the spa on the all so it will shine into the deep end but not at any seating areas.

We just started on our build in Tallahassee, FL. We are building a 20’x48’ pool, inclusive of an 8’ tanning ledge, with a 12’x7’ spa. We are using Hayward equipment, Wet Edge Signature matrix pebble finish, and will have roughly 1250 sq ft of travertine decking. Appreciate the feedback on our prior design roughly a year ago, so I thought I’d begin to share progress.

Attachments

• 6D1BB8DA-862E-4D62-82C3-E8B9852ED965.jpeg
    6D1BB8DA-862E-4D62-82C3-E8B9852ED965.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 35
Let the MUD begin!! With all of the rain we have had it WILL be mud! So glad to see you have started this wonderful build!

Kim:kim: (I merged his other build thread that had the pics and such with this one to keep the story together)

That's gonna be one huge pool! How many gallons? Have you decided if you'll use a SWG?? What kinda filter?

Enquiring <sic> Minds want to know!! :LOL:

Maddie
The pool is roughly 25,000 gallons, plus the spa. We’re using a Hayward Tcell 940 for SWG, H series 400k btu heater, 140k btu heat pump, OmniLogic controls, and four ColorLogic LED lights (3 pool, 1 spa). I do not recall the specific filter size but the builder recommends using glass media filtration (read lots of arguments back and forth on the efficacy of that media). I’ll try to add specifics to my signature soon.

The spa steps are designed so that you can easily walk in and out without a handrail, and also as a place for younger kids to safely sit at a more shallow depth while still enjoying a bit of heat.

The tanning ledge will be 12” water depth while the pool depth will be 3’8” to roughly 6’3”. The uneven decking proportions were chosen so that the seating/views face towards the 75 acre green space and lake behind our house. We will likely have a sectional sofa, 2-3 chaise loungers, an 8 seat dining table, and a few tanning ledge loungers.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.