New Build in NE Houston (Humble, TX)

Well, a correction to my post. When I started trying to compile the pictures off our various devices…It looks like we actually started on April 27th (not the 24th). I think they came out with the spray paint on the 24th. Amazing how you don't think you will forget those details, at the time…and now look, it is June and so hard to remember! When they came out at painted the lines, we decided at that point that we wanted to push the spa farther from the steps and make the pool a little larger (actually, I wanted much larger, but we were quoted ~$300 a linear foot for pool expansion). That also did not take into account the extra deck, because I had also pushed the pool 5 ft to the "left" to give us more walking space between the pergola and spa. My husband was already seeing "budget overage" at this point, so I had to keep it modest. In hindsight, very glad that we did all of the above, more deck, bigger pool, moving the spa back a little. IMG_0339.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That picture shows the "double spa", i.e. where it was versus where we thought it should be. I am glad we had a couple days in between spray paint and dig, because it did give us time to really look at the layout -- and the PB was responsive (and yes, because it involved more $$$ :) )

I will not leaving you hanging (yet), Suz!
It just takes longer than I thought to get the pictures from various devices to a place where I can pull them!
So…April 27th, they showed up bright and early for the dig. I was disappointed that I had to go to work, but luckily my husband was home. I know people do it, but for us…I was glad we had someone home on each of the days that something was going on. Otherwise, we would have had zero communication from our PB (more on this, later) and making sure things were the way we wanted and all the latest information was being communicated. Also, by this point we were antsy…we had signed our contract in early March, and due to the rain it kept getting pushed back. I was entirely happy when they decided to dig, because our ground was so completely saturated. Well, that is what I thought at the time…it got worse in May ;)

IMG_0345.jpg

They finished up by 3pm, with the dig! And, as people have noted on their digs…the driver of the bobcat has true TALENT. My husband took video, and it was amazing to watch!!
IMG_0450.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Same day as the dig…as soon as they finished up the rebar crew swooped in. So, we got the dig and rebar all completed on the same day. Due to the rain, most of the crews were fresh when they would make it to our house, and we saw that as May progressed. It was raining cats and dogs for most of the month, so every time we would get a break, we would have crews at our house looking for work. IMG_0464.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0487.jpg

Here is is completed. End of day one.

I totally agree with the tractor operators. The one who dug our pool was insane with the excavator. That thing was huge and he controlled it like it was the size of one of those tiny zero radius mowers. One time I was outside talking to another worker and the guy in the excavator was tapping on a rock and I asked the guy I was talking to what he was doing and his response was "Playing around". Well about 2 seconds later he hit the rock just right and it flew into the air and he caught it in the scoop! It was crazy. The rock probably weighed 30 to 50 pounds.

Thank you, Zombie! I hope you know I wasn't serious..... well, not TOO serious! I know what you mean about the photos. It's a production when I do it, although I am getting faster at it. But these young kids, they post those pictures like nothing!

You have such a fabulous yard! So much space! I guess for me, it's a good thing I don't have more space - I would have filled it up with more pool, more decking, and more landscaping! I'm tapped out as it is now with my little yard!

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures - greatly appreciated!
Suz.

Day 2. I was in my closet picking out my attire for the day (because, well, I AM a corporate zombie) and I felt a rumble in my chest…it was probably about 6am. I thought our A/C was on the fritz, because that is what A/C's do in Texas when it approaches summer (right, Suz?!). Nope. It was the gunite truck idling outside, waiting until it was time to start. It caused pandemonium, because we live on a cul de sac and all of the neighbors, including ourselves were blocked in. I didn't want them to get started and then have them stop to start letting the rest of the "zombies" out for the day!! My husband and I rushed outside (I was barefoot, but thankfully, dressed!) and trying to tell them to let us out to move the cars. I am quite positive the crew was laughing at us…but when you are THAT excited, who cares. I will share, that at the end of that day, we talked to the project manager (who, we unknowingly had be passed off to) about prior notification…we had no idea that gunite was showing up and showing up that early. After that episode, we asked ALOT more questions…although, we didn't always get good answers.IMG_0501.jpg

So, as I alluded to in that last post…we had been passed off to a project manager. Here is a learning for people getting ready to build a pool -- ask your PB how many times they are going to be at your house. Ask if they have a PM, if they do insist on meeting them first. For us, it turned out to be ok…but, I could see where this could have NOT been a good situation. I am very happy with the pool, and all of the subs that did the actual work. We actually ended up liking the PM.

I have to also say, that when I sat at my kitchen table interviewing PB's I DID ask him how often he would be on the site, etc…he indicated it wasn't everyday, but he would be out here and he had a PM. I thought we would see him more than TWICE during the whole build…we did not. He came the first day of the dig and he came the last day to pick up the two final checks. I heard he was out a third time, but I'm not sure if he actually LOOKED at my pool. Remember, it was crazy weather, he didn't have a ton of pools being built (when I start thinking like that, I get irritated all over again). Lucky for me, my husband developed a rapport with the PM (which, very honestly speaking, I would NOT have been able to do…our personalities would not have meshed on this project). I would call the PB when something big was going on (I think that means I was BAD cop, lol!) and my hubby would handle the smaller day-to-day issues. I can say, the PM was out there every day, so that part was very good. Also, it wouldn't stop me from recommending our builder, because as I said, we are super happy with the speed and quality of the work.

I just think this is important information for anyone getting ready to do this, so the expectation is set. I know better now, although I hope to NOT be building another pool anytime soon!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why did they pass you off to a different PM?

They had the all the neighbors blocked in? Hope your neighbors are nice!

Kim

I'm going to answer the second question first! YES, all the neighbors blocked in, but somehow it all worked out with minimal fuss. One set was out of town (thankfully, they are the loudest), one works from home. The one neighbor on the left of us thought she was blocked in, but really just needed help getting out. As for the neighbors being "nice" up to this point, not really…BUT, once people know there is a pool going in, they seemed to get a little nicer and also very "hinty" at getting an invite. That was a total and complete surprise to me!!!

As for the PB and PM story…IDK, I guess that is just how he does it. I just didn't ask enough questions in the beginning to realize the extent of the pass-off.

One of my neighbors tries her hardest to be nice even though it goes against every bone in her body LOL. See I have a pool AND I will pet sit for anyone in the neighborhood. She has horses, chickens, cats and a dog.............so she needs me a LOT more than I need her LOL.

I have a pool party for the neighborhood twice a summer. That way they get to swim and I am on good terms with all of them!

Of course I get all kinds of suggestions about they will pet sit for me if I would let them swim. Nope. I have it covered already!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.