New Build in Georgia

drglanton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 11, 2020
Atlanta
Greetings all . . Getting ready to break ground and wanted input on my new build.

I'm looking for feedback on what I may need to include on my simple pool build 12k, no spa.

Pentair Easytouch 8 Pool/Spa Control - with actuators520545
ScreenLogic 2 -522104
Pentiar Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump –011056
PENTAIR #TRITON II TR100 SAND FILTER140210

Do you have any recommendations? What am I missing? What would you add?

Thanks - I was thinking of maybe adding one later. Any recommendations on brand? You pool is twice as large as mine.

The guys here know better, I have a hayward 400,000 btu and not a big fan of it. Never know when i will work and when it will act up.
If you don't get it now make sure the pad is big enough and see if they can do the plumbing in a way it makes it easier to add later

Reactions: drglanton
I am preparing a new build and system and have not purchased my pump or the Intellicenter yet.

I am considering installing a FHP Hotspot System. The company recommended the following because I am installing the PENTIAR INTELLICENTER and a Pentiar Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump – 011028

My installer has advised "Your pump is variable speed, it will need to have 24vac dry contacts (building automation relay). If it is variable speed and does not already have this feature, you will need to order a module for this from the pump company. I think the module for this one, if needed, is called Pentair Intellicom II but that should be verified with Pentair technical support."

Furthermore, on the website it states:

What kind of pumps can be used?
We recommend a single speed pool pump of sufficient size for your pool, and large enough to handle the pumping distances. VSD (Variable Speed Drive) pool pumps can be used as long as they can be controlled by a 24vac dry contact relay (check with your manufacturer to see if you have this or if a relay module can be added). If your VSD pump cannot use a relay there are various work-arounds, contact our support department. A VSD pump saves energy for people who do not use pool heaters, but when using a pool heater (ours or any other type like gas, heat pump, or solar) the extra cost of a VSD pool pump is often wasted.

My question is do I need the module as the HOTSPOT system has a FPH Wall Mount Control Unit that I believe controls the pump.

What are you recommendations?

The FPH Wall Mount Control Unit does not talk Pentair protocol which is why you need the Pentair Intellicom II.

dr,

I've read a lot of your posts on the FPH system. Fascinating! As Allen points out the Intellicom II module allows you to convert a wide range of digital inputs to the RS 485 protocol signals that the speed control uses for external control of speed. Pump manufacturers that also make automation equipment make it easy to control the pump with their proprietary RS 485 protocols. Each one is a little different so you need either their brand of automation or an adapter to convert a raw digital signal. VS pump manufactures that do not manufacturers that do not also sell automation equipment seem to use very versatile digital input signals to control/select the different speeds. But for these units you need an additional adapter to convert to an automation system. Kind of makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Advantages of Intelliflo pump is it has a superb reputation as a well designed, reliable pump. Customer service reputation is great from our experts here. Cost is a little higher of course. More recently there are a couple of non-major brands that are on the market. The ones I've looked at use a Century V-Green motor that can also be used to convert older single and 2 speed pumps to VS. This motor can easily be controlled using digital signals ranging from 12-30 v dc or ac with no required adapter. They are newer to the market so we don't know how they will hold up compared to the venerable Intelliflo line so time will tell on this. I installed the motor as a replacement for an older 2 speed Jandy pump a few months ago and I'm generally happy with it. Control was simple without the need to go with the adapter to my Intellicenter RS-485 protocol since I just used readily available digital signals already easily available from my system components. Cost was great but there is a design problem reported with the seal on the motor wiring compartment screw that can allow water intrusion. I put a blob of sealant on it just in case.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.