New build in DFW. Tall deck, need help

Jun 9, 2017
Fort Worth/ Tx
Our builder just poured and we did not realize how high the deck would be off the ground. Our yard slopes a little down from right to left so the left side of the deck is almost 2 feet above the yard! They claim they will grade it, but there is no way they can grade it enough in our minds to make it right. Attaching some photos for reference. Our other issue is the deck is right next to the fence and we dont know what to do with it. We are concerned about kids slipping into the gap and also concerned about the fence being rotted by water coming off the pool. The pool builder gave us nada...... We are also replacing the fence and and the fence builder also does not have a good solution other than adding kickboard which will also eventually rot whether its treated or not. We are considering telling the builder they need to do something about this. We had no idea it would be so tall and of course the builder did not communicate it. They suck at communication, or at least do since they signed the contract. I have never seen a deck so tall like this TBH. We also wished they would have put a drain back there to at least prevent water from going down the back towards the fence. But alas...... Thoughts?

file.jpg
file1.jpgfile2.jpg

Re: Not Happy with our REALLY tall concrete deck. Thoughts?

Richard has a couple of good ideas. I will put out the shout for some others that have neat, outside the box thinking! A couple of questions before we all get started helping you that deck!

Is it sloped away from the pool all the way around?

Is the fence RIGHT on the property line?

What kind of fence will you be replacing it with?

This will be fun and it will end up being pretty!

Kim:kim:

Eh? What was that? Did I hear Kim calling in her troops? I'm ready to start some serious research. Creativity has never been my strength, but I love to research. Kim, I'm going to reach out to Askew (sp?). Remember her? She's like a creative genius.

Jgb, I have to say, this takes the cake. Is it possible to cut off (jack hammer, I guess?) that section up against the fence? On my phone, the picture is a little hazy/blurry, but it looks like with that cut made parallel to the fence, it would give you some decent planting space. I'm not sure how much usable space would be lost, anyway. Even if it's a disappointment to lose that rectangle of deck, I'd prefer that over it being jammed up against the fence. For safety, a nice stone bench (with a back) built along the back of the now straight length of the deck might be an option. I'm thinking about some column/tables built to break up the bench. I have something in mind - I'll try to find the picture.

More pictures of the area would be helpful. An overhead shot would be great. Also, if you have any ideas, that might help us build on those to creste some options.

Get us the answers to Kim's questions and take/post some pictures. Is privacy a concern? Will the new fence be taller?

Time to make lemonade out of lemons, right?!
Take care,
Suz :sun:

I think a hedge would look nice and can tie into the future landscape, it would also be cheap to buy the plants for the hedge. I also think a nice planter with small retaining wall would work and would allow the rest of the yard to have a gentle slope down.
You could also have concrete steps put in and grade the below area even so your pool looks like it's at a separate elevation

Without really knowing what you want/like, I was thinking a hedge, or something like hibiscus along the side of the concrete edge.

Maybe something like this along the fence?

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this, but hang in there! Im sure there will be a creative solution that will make it look great!

Along the fence is going to be a tough one. you could put some benches along the back to stop kids from falling in there. As for the end I dont think there is really too much the builder could have done. That is quite a slope they had to work with and even If they built up the base there would still be a very steep slope after the deck ends. As others have said the best thing you can do is maybe put in a planter box or some hedges. Is it possible to take a pic from the deck looking towards the drop off so we know how much space you have to work with?

I think I'd give up that part of the lawn and put the fence on the concrete. It looks terrible. Definitely another step on the front part at least that can look better but the gap with the fence is tough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My main concern would be children/distracted/drunk people walking off the edge and injuring themselves. I agree: a fence along the edge, with some flowers or shrubs along the newly-installed fence.

Hi JGB, As was already mentioned, along on the concrete area along the fence, I would recommend a planter box high enough to have seating along the edge. As for the drop-off. I think the best thing there are steps that lead into the rest of your yard. I would make them sweeping, wide stairs that follow the curve of the drop-off. And make that area a destination, maybe with additional seating or fire pit. I've attached a really bad mock-up of your original picture, just to give you an idea.

Attachments

• JGB.jpg
    JGB.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 313

Hi JGB, As was already mentioned, along on the concrete area along the fence, I would recommend a planter box high enough to have seating along the edge. As for the drop-off. I think the best thing there are steps that lead into the rest of your yard. I would make them sweeping, wide stairs that follow the curve of the drop-off. And make that area a destination, maybe with additional seating or fire pit. I've attached a really bad mock-up of your original picture, just to give you an idea.

That's a great idea!!

I'm surprised your inspector would approve this especially given that most lots have an easement along the fence line.

I would put very large planters on that back edge with evergreen trees or bushes in them to provide privacy and prevent anyone from getting too close to the edge. On the side, I would build up planter beds faced with stone to match the stone around your spa. Maybe leaving a space in between 2 planters to have matching stairs/step put in to allow easy access to the grass and provide more options for movement on and off the patio. Very simple and would help tie everything together. Having different levels in a yard makes it feel like you have "rooms" which I personally love!

Man you guys rock! Thanks for all the suggestions!

To answer some questions:

Is it sloped away from the pool all the way around? Yes the deck is sloped away from pool all around.

Is the fence RIGHT on the property line? Yep the fence is on our back line.

What kind of fence will you be replacing it with? Thankfully an 8 foot privacy fence. All out! Cedar, capped, board on board, postmaster posts, etc. So it will be taller!

I measured and there is about 4 inches of space between the fence post and the concrete. There is 7 inches from the fence boards and the concrete. We are getting postmaster posts so we will probably end up with around 6 inches of space if we put the fence right on the property line again.

In regards to the ideal situation? If we had known how tall it was going to be we would have asked they slope the concrete down a little more or more likely have done a step down in that area so it would have been a little recessed compared to the pool and rest of deck. That is not in the cards now due to the skimmer location and the fact it would require a ton of rework equating to time and money. My wife is also not as crazy about that as she is worried about the step up to the pool with the kids an them busting their shins on it.

Tony your stairs i think may be a viable option. Thanks for the mock up on that.

In regards to the gap, I think we might go with some sort of planters for sure.I also like PonyGirl's idea of planters with stairs for the sides. Nice.

Here are some links to additional pics:

http://imgur.com/m9iFCLP

http://imgur.com/aCKzvxn

Thanks again! Jeff

Kids will only bump their shins once!!! Then they will move on to another place to hurt themselves.

A cascading step down to the grass would have been nice... but building a planter box off that deck would also be nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.