New build in DFW. Tall deck, need help

Re: Not Happy with our REALLY tall concrete deck. Thoughts?

Seeing that over head shot you REALLY need to use Pony and Tony ideas. It should be easy to do as well! Benches along the back fence and steps on that side to a play/fun area. It turns it into a win!

The talent on this thread is unreal! WOW! You guys blow my mind! So sweet and giving! :hug: I love me some TFP people!!!

Kim:kim:

The existing elevation dictated the slab.......what else could they do? Matched the house and Pool elevation, just go ahead and do the nice planters recommended or just add fill and loam and grade from top of concrete and plant new grass

I copied the pic and used regular old Paint to put my ideas down. It is true most places won't allow you to change your grade to the point it will affect neighbors.

The 8 foot fence will be helpful! Put down heavy duty fabric and river rock between the fence and concrete to help keep it free of weeds. I might be inclined to do a thin layer of quickrete to make it even more unfriendly to weeds. Weeds=snakes, rodents, and ticks.

Erika

Get rid off that ugly fence and pour a one foot high (or however high the deck is) retaining wall in its place. Put the fence on top of the retaining wall and fill the gap with open graded stone acting as a big French drain. In areas you have more space fill with soil and plants. Where the deck ends you can build a stacked stone retaining wall and landscape between the wall and the deck. Add some stairs to make a place to get back down to existing grade.

Get rid off that ugly fence and pour a one foot high (or however high the deck is) retaining wall in its place. Put the fence on top of the retaining wall and fill the gap with open graded stone acting as a big French drain. In areas you have more space fill with soil and plants. Where the deck ends you can build a stacked stone retaining wall and landscape between the wall and the deck. Add some stairs to make a place to get back down to existing grade.

Great idea.

I love the retaining wall with the new fence on top!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I want to first thank everyone for their help! The comments were really great and gave us some ideas. We will surely be applying some of these ideas in regards to stairs, planters and gravel between the fence and deck. All that being said the lawn was graded today and we have some new concerns. Lol.

Pool pics - Album on Imgur
New grade - Album on Imgur

As the links above show, we are now concerned with both the grading towards the back fence and that towards the corners as the new "hill" looks like it's going to pool water in our yard.

The overflow drain and deck drain also are just stubbed out to the yard. Is this normal? The builder has verbally over and over said that they would take the drainage to the curb but i don't think he has any intention in doing so given there is nothing to tie into on that side of the yard.

The stub oust NEED to be taken care of. They are going to ruin any landscaping you have done as it will wash away any and all dirt and over time cause "channels" where the water comes out. Too bad you did not have that in writing. Is it in text maybe? I would push him on it.

Are they or you putting sod on the hill?

Your neighbors are going to be very upset with all of this if you have a hard rain :(

The stub oust NEED to be taken care of. They are going to ruin any landscaping you have done as it will wash away any and all dirt and over time cause "channels" where the water comes out. Too bad you did not have that in writing. Is it in text maybe? I would push him on it.

Are they or you putting sod on the hill?

Your neighbors are going to be very upset with all of this if you have a hard rain :(

I will push them on it!

We will be putting sod down eventually when we get this figured out. They don't do that.....

It's frustrating as we had no warning about how tall this deck would be. If we did we would have had them build it lower. They just matched the level of the current patio which we would have had them redo or just create a step down from.

I say you have them take the dirt out, fix the stub outs, then do our fixes-steps, planters, and benches! If you do not put sod down asap all of the dirt will wash away and make a mess of your yard :(

The sprinkler folks came last night and they also do landscaping and drainage. While doing the sprinkler reroute they are going to take the stub outs down to the side of the house where we were already going to add a French drain.

Here's a pano of the pool with the deck:

Pool pano of deck - Album on Imgur

The sprinkler folks came last night and they also do landscaping and drainage. While doing the sprinkler reroute they are going to take the stub outs down to the side of the house where we were already going to add a French drain.

Here's a pano of the pool with the deck:

Pool pano of deck - Album on Imgur

I need something similar done at my house. Do you mind me asking the cost for that & approximate length of the run?
Thanks

Nothing a few planter boxes can't hide. Or some concrete benches. You can cover the fence gap with some lattice with towel hooks or pool tool hangers.

Richard I really like this idea! Any examples of what this could look like? TKS Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

I need something similar done at my house. Do you mind me asking the cost for that & approximate length of the run?
Thanks

I will let you know when I find out

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.