New build in Celina, TX - planned start 06/2020

weatherly099

Jun 1, 2020
Celina, TX
Hi all, first time pool builder & owner here! We signed a contract with our PB end of April and are waiting for permits and HOA approval to break ground. Having a month to research and scour all the useful info in this site, we now realize there are questions we didn’t know to ask and others we should have pressed our builder to answer before signing. Unfortunately, I do not have the equipment numbers and am having trouble getting these from the PB (one red flag we are seeing). As for the design, we spent a lot of time fitting in all the features we wanted into our limited space. It's very tight, but we are happy with the final design. I am hoping you guys can take a look for a sanity check before we get too much further into this process. Details are listed below along with 2D and 3D pics.

+ Gunite freeform, spa w/6 jets, tanning ledge w/2 bubblers, margarita table (elevated, not to scale) and rock waterfall​
+ Approx. 9,500 gallons​
+ 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 6 returns​
+ ProLogic PS-8 controller w/handheld remote​
+ Hayward TriStar 2.7 HP variable speed pump​
+ Hayward single speed booster pump​
+ Hayward 600 cartridge filter (w/microban)​
+ Hayward 400k natural gas heater​
+ Hayward SmartPure Ozonator​
+ In-line chlorine feeder​
+ 1.5 HP blower​
+ Hayward Smart LED lights x2 (pool & spa)​
+ Robotic cleaner (to be purchased later)​
+ StoneScapes Mini Pebble Aqua White​
+ Oklahoma Flagstone coping & spa fascia​
+ Salt-finished concrete decking​

From my research, these are the immediate concerns we have, but if there is anything else you see or could suggest (with the exception of salt vs chlorine), happy to hear those as well!
  • Is 1 skimmer sufficient?
  • Filter: Is 600sqft cartridge filter overkill for the pool size?
  • Automation: Being a bit of a homelabber, I communicated to PB from the beginning that automation is very important to us. We were told the only other option for better automation was to get the AquaConnect (+$1,000) but was not recommended due to performance issues. Since signing, I discovered Hayward’s Omni equipment line and feel like we made a mistake trusting them even after having met with several builders (this is another red flag). With that aside, I am planning to ask for the OmniHub and other compatible equipment but have not found many posts on the Omni line but hopeful someone has some experience with it that could give feedback or recommendations. **Note: I am assuming Hayward is our only option for equipment since no other options were given to us.
  • Booster Pump: We were told the booster pump is needed to run the bubblers & waterfall while in spa mode. We’ve asked the PB for the equipment layout/schematics to confirm ourselves but are unclear as to how this would work. Would the booster pump be controlling the spa or pool features in spa mode or the other way around?
  • Sanitizer: Have heard many recommend not to get the ozonator. PB markets that the ozone + UV pair kills more bacteria reducing the amount of chlorine needed. I’m just wondering if anyone has seen this work successfully but also why it is still sold if it doesn’t work. Is it just an easy sell to unknowing customers?
  • Blower: I’ve read several comments that blowers aren’t needed if spa plumbing is done correctly. Perhaps there are specific cases where they are needed, but it makes me question why these are so often sold. Maybe it's an easy add on to increases sales or perhaps easier on plumbers requiring less time/skill than without a blower? I haven’t researched this much yet, so any insight would be helpful.
Appreciate and grateful for any and all help!!

Attachments

• pool_01.jpg
    pool_01.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 35
  • pool_01_drawing.png
    pool_01_drawing.png
    62.2 KB · Views: 37
  • pool_03_missingExtendedDecking.png
    pool_03_missingExtendedDecking.png
    680.2 KB · Views: 33
  • pool_06_missingExtendedDecking.png
    pool_06_missingExtendedDecking.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You have some red flags, and now so do I. I can't speak to every item or question you have which is why I will tag @Jimrahbe for some assistance. You certainly have some robust equipment for a pool under 10K gallons. The filter ... bigger is typically better. If you have room for it, then you should have less cleaning intervals which might be nice. Two main drains? Again, some people (and builders) almost automatically want them, others don't. But a pool can do just fine with a skimmer alone. My 18K pool does. I also believe the VSP you are being sold should be able to support all your needs, but others will confirm. If you're going to get a robot, I would scrap the booster pump and all the plumbing that goes with it. Just manually vacuum for a season or two until you get the robot. I would also dump the ozone - no doubt. That and/or UV are not needed in outdoor residential pools, especially in TX heat. I would also dump the inline chlorinator because you won't be using that much as it increases the CYA quickly (stabilized tabs). Instead, consider a SWG rated for about 20K gallons. As for the heating and automation, I'll let the others speak to that. But I would definately take your time with this builder. I don't have a good feeling about his automation comment either, so stick close to us. Folks here will give it to you straight.

I am really a Pentair kind of guy, but have nothing bad to say about the ProLogic PS-8 controller w/handheld remote... Like most pool automation systems, if you want to control things with your phone, tablet or PC, you almost always have to buy some type of interface... That is what the AquaConnect does.. I have never seen any positive comments on the OmniHub products..

The thing that is the biggest red flag to me is the waterfall.. First, there is a very, very thin line between a great looking waterfall and a pile of rocks.. The smaller the pool, the more it will look like a pile of rocks. You really, really need to see some of your pool builder's work, that have waterfalls, that have been in operation for year. I suspect that you will not be impressed.. Most will be covered with scale and not give you the visual impression that you want. Second, you will find that most waterfalls are very noisy and that the fun wears off very quickly. Third, you never want the rocks of the waterfall to be in the pool. Fourth, how do you plan to brush or even use a leaf net on that side of the pool?

As always, it is your pool and your should get what you want. Just make sure it really is what you want..

Not sure what you meant when you said "...anything else you see or could suggest (with the exception of salt vs chlorine).." If that means that you have already ruled out a saltwater pool, then I suggest that you mark this day on your calendar, as mistake #1.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.