New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

hillguy said:
WOW!!! We are starting our build in about a week and have been lurking/stealing ideas from your build. We were set on spraying the deck, but now I don't know what to do. The overlay is gorgeous! Your entire project looks great, enjoy and keep the updates coming (can't wait to see the TV and outdoor kitchen). :cheers:
Thanks! We are very happy with how it turned out. We almost switched to spray deck at the last minute as we were getting a bit exasperated with all the choices (style, colors, texture, size...). I think spray deck is timeless and looks great anyway. The outdoor kitchen and TV will be updates next year! We are however getting 3 palms delivered for the planters on Saturday. They were meant to be delivered tomorrow but I had a bit of panic it was too soon after decking would be finished as decking took an extra day and had it switched to Saturday instead.

KenGood said:
That turned out better than anything I imagined. Wow!
BayScoutTim said:
That looks FAN-TAS-TIC!
Thanks to you both! :whoot: :party: :cheers:

Nearly all done!! All my hard work filling in the trenches paid off and I managed to get it all done in time for sod. Unfortunately I still have no sprinklers so I've had to water it most of it by hand (I have rotary sprinklers but I can't use them anywhere near the pool or deck so those are the areas I've been doing by hand).

I've been following along with your build and it looks great. I see that you used the same pool company we did on our build last year. Was your contact John A....?

I still havent put any pictures up of our build, but 1 year later, everything is working well and had no real issues. About a month ago, our power flashed off for a few seconds and when it came back on, the pool equipment was not responding to the remote and the pumps were not responding correctly (only low speed) to the panel and not all the equipment would turn on or off. I texted John and he responded within a few minutes and gave me the number to the guy that does all of the programming for them. It turned out that all I needed to do was to turn the breaker off and then back on to allow the system to reset.

Long story short - even after a year, they still respond quickly to any questions you have. We have already recommended them to several neighbors that have wanted to build a pool.

I've kept quiet on this issue so far but now I have a way ahead I will share it. We aren't happy with the finish on the slide (neither is the PB but I'll get to that in a minute).

It's nice and slick and functionally, it's perfect. The finish however, is not.
When they (the slide contractor) finished the slide they said there would appear to be some cracks and these were below the epoxy finish and would fade over time and wouldn't affect the functionality at all.
However, we have some giraffe like marks which we were okay about, then some leopard type spots which we're not:

I've been speaking to the PB about this for over a week as he wasn't happy with it either and had already offered to get them back to have it refinished. I decided to not make a rash judgment on it and to wait a week and see if it started to fade - if anything it's getting worse. PB called me this morning to say he really wasn't happy with it having had another look at photos he had taken a few days ago, and is getting them back out to strip it and refinish it. This is why I like my PB. I haven't had to jump up and down and scream, we've been in contact about it, had the same opinion about it, left it a little bit to think on it and see how it looks and then he's gone ahead and actioned them refinishing it without me having to push for it. Can't argue with that as far as I'm concerned.

Bit frustrated as it's going to drag out the build a bit longer but happy that it's being addressed. I've been careful about the chemistry and kept it all in check and haven't run the waterfall for a full 24 hours after adding acid (it's hardly been run at all actually) just to be extra cautious.

shuye said:
I've been following along with your build and it looks great. I see that you used the same pool company we did on our build last year. Was your contact John A....?

I still havent put any pictures up of our build, but 1 year later, everything is working well and had no real issues. About a month ago, our power flashed off for a few seconds and when it came back on, the pool equipment was not responding to the remote and the pumps were not responding correctly (only low speed) to the panel and not all the equipment would turn on or off. I texted John and he responded within a few minutes and gave me the number to the guy that does all of the programming for them. It turned out that all I needed to do was to turn the breaker off and then back on to allow the system to reset.

Long story short - even after a year, they still respond quickly to any questions you have. We have already recommended them to several neighbors that have wanted to build a pool.
Yes, John is my contact. I have nothing but good things to say about him and Grand Isle. We went on the recommendation of two neighbors (one who had their pool built by him and one he didn't and regretted it!). We have already recommended them to a couple of other neighbors who are looking into pools.
He's been super responsive throughout.

PS you need to post pictures of your pool!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cbink said:
shuye said:

Yes, John is my contact. I have nothing but good things to say about him and Grand Isle. We went on the recommendation of two neighbors (one who had their pool built by him and one he didn't and regretted it!). We have already recommended them to a couple of other neighbors who are looking into pools.
He's been super responsive throughout.

PS you need to post pictures of your pool!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll try and get some up this weekend. Grand Isle has been great - they built our small outdoor kitchen for us at the same time and it has worked well this past year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BayScoutTim said:
There ya go. :goodjob: Looks awesome now! :party: Might I suggest a Kamado Joe to go along with your "Pool Life" :cheers:
Thank you! An outdoor kitchen to include a Kamado grill of some kind are definitely in the plan! :cheers:
We'd love to be doing it all now but the wife and I agreed we'd put the money into the pool first as we can't change it once it's done and we'd prep for the future items such as the outdoor kitchen and the rest of the landscaping (do the landscaping design now and put sprinklers in the right places for that) and do them another year. We didn't want to pull back on the pool items in order to do the outdoor kitchen now and then regret not adding the slide/waterfall/rock work on the pool etc.

The only other thing we're going to do this year new is put the sprinkler system back in and plant the two Canary Date palms we also have.

BayScoutTim said:
Sounds like a fantastic plan. That kitchen will start begging you when the time & $$ is right. Time to enjoy the fruits of your frustration for awhile first.
Yep! This way as well I can put everything I want into the kitchen. I love to cook and I love to grill so really looking forward to creating a nice space outside for all of that. Need to start researching Kamado type grills... :cool:

duraleigh said:
Well, that is just a beautiful pool!

Thumbs up for your careful planning and attention to detail......it pays off. :cheers:
Thank you! Thanks to the site I had plenty of ideas and thoughts of things to do and am now going about keeping it sparkly clean! :goodjob:

jamcha02 said:
Beautiful. Love the large spa and the decking. Everything is very tasteful
Thank you very much. We are very happy with how it has all turned out.

That looks AMAZING!! Now that the decking is done and it looks like you got some rain I was wondering if it was slick with it having the sealer on it? That is what we are contemplating because we have been told that once you seal it the decking can become very slippery. I also wanted to know if those are natural gas tiki torches that they installed?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.